• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A little good news

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Reaction score
Well, after my pathetic showing in my tournament, I stopped off at the bookstore and picked up "Golf is not a game of perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella as had been suggested to me on here. I also picked up "The Mental Art of Putting" by Patrick J. Cohn and Robert K. Winters, both Ph.D.'s. Hey, they can't hurt? Then I stopped off at my favorite golf shop to look around. I had the Maltby CT250 - V2 stiff shaft in the truck because I wanted to pick up a headcover for it. While I was there I asked if I could use the monitor? I slightly tweaked my back over the weekend so I never really went after it on a swing. I just took my swing I try to take when I tell myself to back it down a little. 5 swings, 104, 105, 104, 105, 106. The launch monitor was out of commission so all I could check was my swing speed and yes I asked how accurate it was and he said it had recently been calibrated so I'm happy. Not Tigeresk but respectable for a 48 year old man. Well, I'm happy with it anyway! :laugh:

Nice - you've got an easy 10 on me when I'm wide open, and I'm just a 32 year old man.

Well, after my pathetic showing in my tournament, I stopped off at the bookstore and picked up "Golf is not a game of perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella as had been suggested to me on here. I also picked up "The Mental Art of Putting" by Patrick J. Cohn and Robert K. Winters, both Ph.D.'s. Hey, they can't hurt? Then I stopped off at my favorite golf shop to look around. I had the Maltby CT250 - V2 stiff shaft in the truck because I wanted to pick up a headcover for it. While I was there I asked if I could use the monitor? I slightly tweaked my back over the weekend so I never really went after it on a swing. I just took my swing I try to take when I tell myself to back it down a little. 5 swings, 104, 105, 104, 105, 106. The launch monitor was out of commission so all I could check was my swing speed and yes I asked how accurate it was and he said it had recently been calibrated so I'm happy. Not Tigeresk but respectable for a 48 year old man. Well, I'm happy with it anyway! :laugh:
Hoo-rah!!!!

I have an Amazon card I need to use, I think I may be picking up one of Rotella's other books as part of it. To go with the heat gun to help remove grips. I guess if I don't like the other one, I can take the heat gun to it so I will at least get a good chuckle. :laugh:

Good job, mdw. I went to the range last night to work out some issues. After the swings, I did some putting.

I now have proof that there is a God, he plays golf, and he's a prankster: the first two putts I attempted were 30 foot double-breakers, with the last break being 3 feet right in front of the hole. No chance at all, and I was just trying to get a feel for the speed. They both went in.

I putted a bit longer, missing most but making a few. It was getting dark, so I dropped 3 balls at 10 feet with a 6 inch break and thought "time to go home". All 3 went in.

If I could just maintain that "no pressure" thought pattern in a tourney I would be gold.

Just say to yourself "There is no sense in being tense." You might screw up, but you have a much greater chance of screwing up if you're all whacked out. You're capable of everything there is to do in golf, though you may not produce that every time you take a shot. However, your chances slim fantastically if you allow yourself to be nervous and think you're going to screw up.

Decided on Rottellas - The Golfer's Mind: Play to Play Great. Have to see if it is good as the other.
Amazon.com: The Golfer's Mind: Play to Play Great: Dr. Bob Rotella,Bob Cullen: Books

I also kinda forgot about Pelz book "Damage Control" that came out last year, and I got tired of waiting to see if he would ever release it in the store. Kinda strange it is only available on his site, so I ordered it Sunday and should have it Thursday.

Damage Control

...actually, I wish they had done a better job advertising this promo, didn't see anything about this when I ordered. Found it when searching for a page link. Kinda pisses me off actually.
Damage control promo

edit 1 - We'll see if they have anything to say, I sent a letter to the customer service indicating I could have gotten the 10 P3 balls and the book for less price than just the book after shipping and handling, and that I only found out about it on trying to link the page to a forum. Maybe they'll do the right thing and send out the balls, since I told them the $1 or so I would have saved was not an issue, but it would have been nice to know about the balls. The measures people will go to for free golf equipment. :D

Sorry for the thread jack

Maybe they'll do the right thing and send out the balls, since I told them the $1 or so I would have saved was not an issue, but it would have been nice to know about the balls. The measures people will go to for free golf equipment. :D

Sorry for the thread jack
Thought it was worth posting that they did in fact respond back indicating that they would ship the 10xP3 balls out seperately. ... and the measures work, in the form of free golf equipment. :D Kinda nice because I did keep eyeing those thinking they may be nice for practice.

Got the book yesterday, but because I had it shipped to my wifes work, she forgot to bring it home. The other Rotella book shipped, so will review both books and the balls in the coming weeks or months

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll tell you what, I've been reading this book, "Golf is not a game of perfect", and I can see where this will help. I'd suggest every golfer read it, I haven't had a chance to play a round yet since I started, but I have no doubt it's going to help. Lot's of stuff in it about putting that last shot out of you mind if it was a bad one. Stuff we all already know, but reading it in a book seems to sink in more. That and the fact this guy is a Dr. and knows his stuff.

I bought the Rotella book just over a year ago, I always pull it out when I get in a funk. Great book and will help your game a ton guaranteed.

Once your done with that mental putting one by Dr. Cohn think I could borrow it?

Whatever happend to the Penick book we were tossing around ST? I remember I had it awhile ago and was the 4th ST'er to sign it.

Sure thing.

Over the years I've bought a couple of Rotella's books, 3 or 4 of the Penick books (all basically the same as red, but still good reads), Daly's "Golf My Own Damn Way", and Jackie Burke, Jr's "It's Only A Game". They are all great books to read and own.

If you haven't read Burke's book, get it.

I have "Golf is not a Game of Perfect". I think it's great. As someone with no real competetive sports experience, it seems like an excellent introduction to sports psychology for the golfer. Very well-written, too.

I played my first round today after starting the book. I'm only 1/4 of the way through it and it helped me today immensely. Don't get me wrong, I didn't use what little I've learned on every shot and had a soso round, but when I did think about what he says in the book, it definitely helped.

Thought it was worth posting that they did in fact respond back indicating that they would ship the 10xP3 balls out seperately. ... and the measures work, in the form of free golf equipment. :D Kinda nice because I did keep eyeing those thinking they may be nice for practice.

Got the book yesterday, but because I had it shipped to my wifes work, she forgot to bring it home. The other Rotella book shipped, so will review both books and the balls in the coming weeks or months
Just updating, the bast@rds never did send the P3 balls. Sent another e-mail 2 days ago, to which they didn't respond. Figure if I am going to praise them for doing the right thing, they also deserve to be nailed when they then blow you off. Oh well, no biggie.

I did start to read the book. I always kinda like Pelz, but 60 pages in I see he could have condensed 60 pages into one and just got to the part where he actually started talking about what the book is about. Starting to wonder if it is going to say, "Just don't get into trouble in the first place" ;)

Actually I got away from it to reread the Short game bible, as it is more of a concern right now for me than damage control. Right now my main form of damage is my short game, but I'm sure I will get some use out of the other at a later time when I have more patience and time. I would give a review of the P3 balls, but kinda hard to do when they never send them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

FedEx Ranking