• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Accuracy

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
Was out hitting my PW tonight and I was all over the place. I was either 10 yds left OR right consistently. It wasn't a hook or slice, just a push or pull and my dispersion was just pathetic.

Whats your best drill or swing thought for accuracy?

Swinging around ourselves inherently produces horizontal dispersion. Moving to the target in the downswing can help that.

Pull a 7 or an 8 iron and try to hit it PW distance until you dial it in, then switch to a 9 iron...etc. Take your time between shots.
Ditto, when I'm actually playing and thinking well at the same time I club down and shorten the swing.

In practice this doesn't happen very often and leads to cursing.

With shorter clubs I try and make my swing smaller with less lower body movement. You don't need to swing very hard to carry the pw 120 yards.

Accuracy with irons? Whether off the tee on a par 3 or trying to put one close to the pin with a pitching wedge, I have to make sure I take the club forward... down the line towards the target. If I get lazy and just swing the club... try to back off and I'll hook it... try to overswing and I'll leave it out to the right. If I concentrate on 'pushing' that clubhead as far as I can reach towards the pin... before I allow it to come around the body... that's when I can hear the "Nice shot!" comments.

Was out hitting my PW tonight and I was all over the place. I was either 10 yds left OR right consistently. It wasn't a hook or slice, just a push or pull and my dispersion was just pathetic.

Whats your best drill or swing thought for accuracy?
Might get reamed here but I remove any 'looseness' in my body. Not 'stiff' mind you, just rigid enough to not allow the body to flop where it wants to. I take slower swings and make sure that my swing path is dead on the money.
Generally I can pop the ball right at the flag. Not always dead on as far as range, but Im working on that still myself.

Try laying another iron the ground as an alignment tool. Now you'll know your aligned properly. Try to make some comfortable swings without worrying about your target and see if your misses become more consistent (mostly left or mostly right). If they're mostly left, I'd agree with Limp...try to get the club head to travel down the target line a little longer. If it's mostly right, I'd check your grip...you might have to strengthen it a bit (maybe a quarter of an inch). A slight push would tell me that your swing is fine, you're just not getting the club face square.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520