• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

After A Bad Round?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Reaction score
What do you try and do after you've just played a TERRIBLE round. Here's the scenario. Played with my coach for the first time last night, nice night, swinging nice, already played 18 at Peek erlier in the day so im warmed up after my 14 for 14 fws with a 79 cuz i kept watching the course instead of my game:p

So I open with a ho hum birdie on the par 5 first, pin high in two, chip up and tap in, then par par after two lip outs. So im sittin pretty, then after bogeying giving up the honour (which my coach got right on me about:p) I absolutely bomb my drive after he blocked into the rough to show him up, 60 yards in on a 380 par 4. Well somehow my chip flew the green, no clue how cuz i put the perfect 60 yard swing on it. Bogey again... Then it started, it was pretty much a crap shoot, pretty much doubled out to shoot 48 on the front, so im sitting there on the 10th tee after grabbing a drink waiting for him and the other dude who joined us (former player for him) just thinking wtf, I piped EVERY SINGLE drive (hit every fw but two, one chip out and one just into the rough np), then went up and piped my drive on 10, hit the cart path and woulda been about 150 in on a mid length par 5, but we had no clue once we got up there, its like it vanished... So i bogey the next 6 holes, then went birdie par bird to finish with a 88.

So the 1 hdcp player thats suppost to be the no.2 on the team just went out with 4 birdies and shot an 88 (did I mention honestly shoulda had 6 birdies as i missed 2 easy ones)... End up by the last two holes 3 down ended up losing to my coach by 1 shot..........

T'was an absolutely retarded day, no clue how i effed it that hard, but somehow the good ol ryan round came through and went huge on the middle 9 holes (+20), and low on the first holes and last couple (-4)...........

What a gong show... Tried all day to get a hold of my coach today to get to the range, but he was busy all day, so didnt even get to practise today which pisses the hell outta me as im busy all day tmrw with freshmen junk to do, so i didnt even get to practise for 6 hours (what i usually do to get back on track after a shit round) to remember how to swing...

I guess I need to video my swing, iron and driver, cuz I pipe EVERY drive with a 5-10 yard draw, but hook the hell out of and chunk all my irons...

Dontch'all love this game. (sry for the rant, had to get it out there.)

What I normally do after a bad round, is try to find someone in the parking lot who wants to unload a lot of money on clubs he doesn't need

Unfortunately for me, everybody like that is at home with the computers posting on ShotTalk :)

Yea I had a bad day yesterday too, I started off birdie par par then triple and the wheels fell off and shot a 90. I was really looking forward to play all week and was putting pressure on my self to play well. After the triple I just let my self get mad lost my composure I knew I shouldn’t get frustrated but I just couldn’t help my self. This game is something else I think beside skill it’s all mental and how you can keep control of your emotions. The good ones even have a hard enough time doing it, but a lot of guys on tour that don’t have the greatest skill set can calm themselves down and stop the bleeding and not turn one bad shot or hole into three or four in a row. My best round this year is not my lowest that day I went bogie, double, triple, quad all in a row and still shot an 82. After I made the quad I said to myself forget it start over and just play. I wish I could learn how to do that every time. Just keep your head up man and try not to put undo pressure on yourself and just have fun. You were probably just trying to hard to impress your coach. Good luck.

Had one today :real angry: i start out 9 feet from the pin on the par5 first. Didnt have time to putt... three jack. Well that set up for a great round. Granted i par the next hole after a crap drive... make a long story short i shoot 86 after not being over 78 for the last 7 rounds. I think im just going to take a day break, then practice my @$$ off for like eight hours on wednesday assuming it doesnt rain. Hopefully all goes well... Good luck to both of you too

What in the hell are you whinin' about? hell, if I shot an 88 i'd be buying rounds at the 19th:ugly25:

What in the hell are you whinin' about? hell, if I shot an 88 i'd be buying rounds at the 19th:ugly25:

Yea, but your not on a golf scholarship;)

Learn from it. That's what I try to do. No matter what I shoot there are always bad shots, it's those shots I have to work on the most. Are you trying to draw the irons or something? You had a fade swing last time I saw and now you hit big draws off the tee? I was having problems with an early realease causing a bit of a flip I guess. This was due to trying to draw irons. I hit them straight and fades today with much better ballstriking. Get it straightened out before they send you back to Canada. :laugh: Just kidding man, good luck.

I was playing the fade and then working with my coach it just kinda turned into a draw with the whole releasing the club properly, i actually hit it more consistently now with even more spin into the greens somehow. But when im striking it well its a 5 yard draw every time so its super reliable.

Although of course I still have the high fade:)

Patience. Everyone has bad days. How you play is dependent on a lot of physical and mental factors. Let it go, and concentrate on what's in front of you.

After a bad round, I usually resort to a bottle of Cabernet Savignon and a cigar out by the pool. :D Mellows me right out.

If I went right out an practiced, I would end up driving myself insane as I would probably get more frustrated at the range when I could not hit a ball. Let it go. Forget about golf for a day or two and then go back to the range and work things out.

At least that is what works for me.:)

Might just be an attitude problem. I mean that in the nicest way possible. Think about what you wrote here:
Well somehow my chip flew the green, no clue how cuz i put the perfect 60 yard swing on it.
Well clearly, no you didn't. Claude Harmon said you've got to take responsibility for the shots you hit, and move on.

Sounds like you've got plenty of ego strength. Just remember golf is not hitting tee shots. There's no room on the scorecard for "but I hit my driver PERFECT". You played a bad round - take it like a man, don't make excuses. Being all the things you were careful to point out (1 hcp, #2 on the team, golf scholarship) doesn't make you exempt from playing poorly. Everyone, including players much better and much worse than you, struggle sometimes. You don't need to prove that you're better than the shots you hit. Figure out where you lost those shots and go to work.

Sorry if this came off a little blunt.

Chill, eeidiot.

Oh, you're in the states now, haha, no drinking for 3 years, :p

Honestly, just chalk it up, learn as much as you can from it, relax more next time out, and keep at it. Oh, and don't worry terribly much about your coach, if he's worth his salt he knows what to look for, and what not to. ;)

I am not on a golf scholarship, nor am I a low handicapper. But I have and still do play competitive sports. So I think I can comment on bad personal performances.

With team sports, its a bit easier because if you are doing bad, you can try to focus on what you are doing well and help the team out by doing more of the same. Like in hockey, if I am expected to score and I am in a slump, I'll work on being more physical, playing better D, grinding it out in the corners etc.

With an individual sport like golf (or singles tennis, badminton etc.), you dont have the luxery. I have always found that in those stype of sports, I'd always take a day or two off and just be totally away from it. Not think about it, touch the equipement, read about it etc. I know it maybe hard to do if you are expected to play and practice each day at the college level. But if you can stay away for a bit, do so. When you do come back, forget about the last round, and go practice THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL ASPECTS OF YOUR SPORT.

For basketball, just go out there, dribble up and down the court, hit some free throws etc. Baseball: take some easy batting practice focusing more on the swinging it than slugging it. So for golf, I'd just go out there and have a simple session at the range....focusing more on half shots, pitces, chips and putting. (cause the big swings boild down to that really). Then when you are ready, go out and play another round in that same calm frame of mind.

Of all the times I have had to do this, 90% of the time I have always gone back the game and played much better.....you then slowly build on that.

When you get to pretty high level at any sport, the physical ability difference between you and the next guy is never as big as the difference between your mental prowess.

But remember, all this is if you find yourself in a slump. But if its just one bad game, one period, one inning or just a bad half round....then just forget about it! Go out there the next round and tell yourself that you're gonna kick butt this round! :)

Good luck!

-DVS

Yea, and at least there was some solid holes and my coach probly paid more attention to that, and the fact that I actually controlled my anger (which ther ewas a lot of i guarantee you) really well.

Chalk one up for the learning from your mistakes column i guess.

Off to play some big money euchre and pool games tonight, already got a few numbers, guess this place isnt looking too bad after all;)

If there's alcohol on hand, I start taking a drink after every bad shot. But my supply is limited at best. If there's none I'll take it out something else, golf cart, the ground, etc (there's no point in me holding it in - it makes my game ten times worse). After a really bad day in general, I'll take a few days off. When I get back everything falls back into place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520