• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any tall golfers here?

I'm 6'2" My PING's are 1/2" long and one degree upright. I was first fitted 4 years ago (for PING i3+). That fitter had me at 1/2" long and 2 degrees upright. I was just refit for my Raptures. The new fitter put me at 1 degree upright as I was hitting the 2 degree slightly on the heel of the club (according to the impact tape). Your best bet is to get fitted.

I am 6ft. 3" and got fitted by Mizuno for 0.5 inches longer and 1 degree upright :)

Im 6"2 and my irons are half inch over for 2* upright.

Pretty much smack on 6'0 and my irons are 2 degrees bent upright and 1/4 inch over standard. All just depends on your stance, swing and arm length.

I'm a shade over 6'1 and I have fitted clubs, 1/2 inch longer than standard but standard lie.

Some other things to consider for taller players is getting the grips a bit thicker because taller guys usually have bigger hands. I'd say if your glove size is ML or up you would need an extra two papers at least. Grips too thin makes you grip too tightly which creates tension in the forearms and kills dsitance and consistency.

Another way for tall guys to get consistency is to tighten up the swing. I have tightened my swing considerably over the years. Being tall gives your arc pleny of width naturally, so keeping the back swing to what feels shortish can improve consistency and will sometimes add distance. Overswinging is a problem for all golfers but especially taller guys.

I'm 6'3" and my clubs are +1 and 2* upright.

I'm 5' 15" & my irons are stock length, feel too darn short though. Especially when I get to my wedges it feels like I should be playing them while on my knees.

I know everyone has their own idea of what "tall" is. I'm 6'3", and I guess I would consider myself fairly tall. I have a couple of questions for you "tall" folks.

1) Are your clubs lengthened?

2) Have you ever taken lessons, and because of your height, were told do something different than another golfer would? (i.e. bend more from the hips, widen your base, slightly push your knees and hips towards the target at address, etc etc).

I've seen it referenced in many places that taller golfers, in general, sometimes struggle with excessive, unneeded body movement. Especially in the lower body.

Just wondering what some of you tall, lanky S.O.B's do to keep your swing consistent. :laugh:

1 - Everything is lengthened by an inch and a half and bent one degree up right. I'm about 6'4''.

2 - Yes, I have taken lessons but I was not instructed to do anything radically different. My biggest problem is not keeping my spine angle through impact - I tend to lift up - and causes a lot of thins and toe shots.

I'm 6 ft 4 in, and my clubs are 1' over standard. The main thing I had a problem with is that my arms aren't extremely long for my height. So, the problem was that I would stand too far off the ball or too far over it. I had to spend a lot of time working out my address, but I got that down finally.

The main problem I still have is flying my elbow, but I don't know if that has anything to do with how tall I am.

Where it really screws me up is in my putting. It skews my perception, and I seldom line up correctly.

I am just under 6'1", but I am shaped like an orangutan. :) My irons are 2* flat.

1) Are your clubs lengthened? I'm 6'7'' and I got fitted to a +2 inch set of irons, and they feel great to me compared to my old regular sized set.

2) Have you ever taken lessons, and because of your height, were told do something different than another golfer would? Haven't taken any lessons yet, but I hopefully will be soon. I'm looking into it.
I would suggest going and getting fitted for clubs, it really does help.

1.5" over ??! I would doubt if a 'proper' clubfitter would wish to go that much over standard..

1.5" over ??! I would doubt if a 'proper' clubfitter would wish to go that much over standard..

When I was in college thats what they measured me at and that is what they set them up for me at and sure don't seem to have a problem.

I certainly agree that you have to have your

clubs fitted by someone qualified if you want to be sure about this. Arm length, height, posture, swing--lots of stuff goes into getting the clubs correctly fitted. The taller a person is usually means that their arms are also longer, so that ORDINARILY there is surprisingly little difference in the length of club that is right for one person compared to another.

The shorter a person is, usually means that that person will swing the club a little flatter than a taller person. The taller person will stand closer to the ball and thus his/her swing will be more upright than the shorter person when using the same club. The lie angles will therefore be more upright for the taller golfer as a general rule.

Still, a good fitter will be the best person to determine all of this.

CP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423