• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back spin

justsomeguythatgolfs said:
Yeah, I read a consumer report thing that said Nike Power Distance Super Soft have more spin and distance than Titiliest ProV1 and that Nike Black was the best, according to them.

Thats not what he meant....An Old Titleist Balata will spin more then any of the new balls. Thats what Tiger always talks about with new ball technology, they don't spin near as much as the old balls. You want a ball to spin....try an old Maxifli Revolution.

James M said:
I think you're better than me, my best score is 100

Your best score is 100 and you are asking about back spin? ha haha sorry but that's seriously funny ha ha ha

Warren said:
Your best score is 100 and you are asking about back spin? ha haha sorry but that's seriously funny ha ha ha
Although I pretty much indicated what I thought based on the circumstances in this thread on whether it is really necessary to use backspin, I fail to see how it is funny. What I find funny is the all to common notion that your whole ability to understand the relative ideas behind golf should be based on your handicap index. Personally I find it interesting to know ever aspect of the game, even though I choose not to use 50% of the knowledge on the course. Then as I improve through the masses, I have a general idea how to progress through the next step in my learning. I guess maybe someone needs to post a generalized thread that we can all follow that designates what index you must achieve to talk about relative information, and not be laughed at for trying to better understand the game. It seems rather shallow to think that someone should not ask about things simply because it does not currently fit their index.

I think it is the farthest thing from "funny ha ha" to understand all the different aspects that will influence the spin on the the ball, whether it be the ball, the swing, the greens, etc. I think only by understanding all the aspects will you be able to determine if it is important to your game at the time. It would appear at least based on his posts, that he has a solid understanding on whether it will help his game, only now we all have a better understanding of all the things that will impact the ability to spin the ball. Some of which I will be practicing while chipping around the greens. Or do you see that a person of my calibur should not be experimenting with getting a ball to check up on chips and pitches?

So go ahead and get busy on the "Generalized concepts that can be investigated based solely on your handicap index". Now, I am certain I will find some humor in that post.

Your points are of course valid my friend. All of them.

I must point out that my comments are also valid in that someone who suggests their best score is 100 (likely to mean a handicap of 36 at best) should not be focussing his / her practice on back spin!! Someone with that ability at this point in their golfing career should solely be focussing on the basic fundimentals of the game first. Especially if their vision is to become a better golfer! Otherwise why not suggest he / she learns how to hit low draws with 2 irons, or a punched 3 iron, or a hard cut off the deck with an 8.5 degree driver?! My point - if you play off that range 28 - 36 any coach alive worth their salt would tell you not to focus on how to achieve back spin with a 60 degree wedge, unless of course you were in this game just for a laugh and had no intention of improving.

I actually agree with what you indicated in the initial post even. Probably the reason for my post was disagreeing with the nature of the last part listed below.
Warren said:
ha haha sorry but that's seriously funny ha ha ha

Sometimes on here it is hard to determine the intention behind certain comments. I think I may have misread yours because it came after he acknowledged that he maybe was expectng too much, and seemed like it was childishly adding insult to injury. After your last post and the support you provided, I again would tend to believe that I misread your intentions.

Cheers!!!

just keep practising on every aspect of your game

practise makes perfect

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781