• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Broken Shaft - - Im a freakin idiot.

grizzmoose

Reaction score
So this is my first post, and its not going to paint a pretty picture of me. Im a 9 handicap in Utah. Under most circumstances, Im a very reserved, calm, collected golfer. I stay pretty consistent in my scores, rarely shooting outside 76-83. Somewhere in the last two weeks, I swear my swing has been posessed by some ungodly creature. I cant break 90 right now, and its all originating from the tee shot. Im hookin the hell outta the ball. Today, I had a mental break down which resulted in a wounded tee box and a driver that now fits in one of the pockets in my bag. Thats right, I snapped my shaft. The shaft was broken right at the head with lots of shaft still in the head. You may find this odd, but it was actually a pleasant experience watching the head roll down the fairway. It was the only thing that has gone straight from the tee in about two weeks.

So now I have two correlated problems . . . I need a new shaft, and my wife cant know about this. Ill deal with the wife, but I need yall's help with the shaft.

I was playing a Srixon W-506 9.5 driver with a R flex Mitsubishi Rayon shaft. I think it had a .350 tip on it. How can I find that out for sure, and how important is it that I find another shaft that has the same tip size? Also, how do I best determine what length to get? My former shaft was 45" and seemed like it was long. Im 5 7 and dont have particularly long arms. Also, is it going to be a problem for my local golf shop to use the same head with the busted up shaft inside it?

Any input would be appreciated. Oh, and if any of you have done something similar, it would be great to hear your stories.

I'll help all that I can. Tip size matters if you get a .335 no problem you can shim it but you need to know what tip size was in that head, if it was .335 and you get a .350 your screwed. The repair shop wont have a problem getting the shaft out of the head, they'll just drill it out. you could use a caliper to measure a part of the head closest to the head to find out the tip daimeter. I hope this helps.

The 506 is a .350 head.

Your shop will get the old shaft out when you have them redo it. No problems.

R35

yea fixing this should be no problem...the tip size is .350..so you can use a .335 with a shim or a.350...

Holy smokes you guys are fast. And knowledgeable. And most important. . . no one has made fun of me yet. Thanks!

hey i done the smae thing to my SW a few months ago...one friend broke his Sw and Cameron putter within 2 weeks of each other...then i bought the broken Cameron super CHeap

If you liked that shaft (at one time :D) I would replace with the same brand and model shaft (flex and weight). Different manufacturers and flexes are not all the same (UST ProForce V2 stiff is not the same as a Graphite Design YS-6+ stiff etc) and you might end up with something completely different. The clubmaker who fixes this can probably advise you on this. :)

How in the hell do you break a putter? Or a SW? Unless you were super pissed and wrapped it around a tree or something.

We don't make fun of new members. We wait until they have at least 10 posts before we start telling them how idiotic they are.

So how exactly did you break a frigging Mitsubishi shaft, you moron?

:D

How did I break it? Well, its quite a simple physics lesson really. At least I think it is, Im not a physics guy. But something tells me there must be some sort of physics law that says if you apply brute, angry, unneccessary force to something that is breakable, it will likely break. I think thats one of Newtons laws.

Oh, I nearly left out the best part of the story. Two more rolls of my W-506 head and it was in the nastiest, sludge filled swamp on the course. I woulda been fishin in some horrible water and likely died of malaria within days.

How did I break it? Well, its quite a simple physics lesson really. At least I think it is, Im not a physics guy. But something tells me there must be some sort of physics law that says if you apply brute, angry, unneccessary force to something that is breakable, it will likely break. I think thats one of Newtons laws.

Geeze. What's your swingspeed, anyways?:laugh:

Oh, I nearly left out the best part of the story. Two more rolls of my W-506 head and it was in the nastiest, sludge filled swamp on the course. I woulda been fishin in some horrible water and likely died of malaria within days.

What did the shaft ever do to you? It sist there, innocent, and you go and do that to it. Shame.

And I don't think you'd die of Malaria. That only occurrs in warm blooded animals, you cold, heartless bastard. :biglol:

I was reading a good story the other day about someone that did the same thing with their new Epic shaft. Apparently, shafted heads float on water. Who knew! ;)

Welcome aboard, btw. I think you'll fit in just fine. :)

R35

Consider it a good excuse for a new shaft or a new driver. :laugh:

.350 tips are a dime a dozen used. For around $30-$35 you could get a lot of choices on ebay.

I've got a Srixon W-506 driver with the OEM R-flex shaft on it. I developed a similar problem with it. It was the best, most consistent driver I've ever hit - for about two months. Then, it went Jekyll & Hyde on me. I swear it changed overnight into a completely different club. Snap hooks galore, and just plain ugly, ugly, ugly shots.

I really believe that something in the head broke. Either the shaft tip split or there is something inside the head that de-laminated (or somethin')

It really was just like you described - all of a sudden.

I didn't "massage" mine though, I just retired it.

can a busted/cracked graphite clubhead be repaired

I have a callaway ft5 with a cracked head; at the connection where the metal meets the graphite. Can it be repaired?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520