• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cellular service opinions wanted.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Reaction score
I am going to switch cellular services, and would like to know what carriers you all use, and how happy you are with the coverage, billing, and customer service.

Also, if you are using a phone that you love, or hate, let me know what it is, and why.

Thanks in advance.

Eracer:

Recently I did some informal research of cellular companies because our little company uses Nextel and has become very unhappy with it...

I also subscribe to Consumer Reports and often follow their research/findings.

From what I can tell, Verizon seems to have a clear edge over the others from a coverage, service and technology standpoint. Consumer Reports tested cell phone service in several major U.S. markets and Verizon had the best coverage/signal in each market. Pretty interesting.

Also, Verizon is deploying high-speed broadband data access from their cell towers. So if you were on a business trip and had your laptop along, you could connect through an "aircard" directly from your laptop to the cell in your area and get throughput of about 1500K...this has already been deployed to many of the larger markets in the U.S. and they are working on others rapidly. This capability will benefit my customers...

Next, one of the most widely used features of Nextel is the nationwide Push-to-Talk (PTT) "walkie-talkie" capabilities. We use this in our company as there is no charge when I use PTT communications from Alabama to Oregon or California, where some of our other employees work. We like the PTT capability but once again, because of Nextel's spotty coverage, sometimes it does not work.

Verizon also has PTT capabilties with a small drawback. From the time the first caller initiates PTT communications to another caller, there is a brief delay. This is due to the CDMA encryption technology used by Verizon. After the inital PTT connection is made (about 4 seconds) then each subsequent communication is instant - as with Nextel. The CDMA encryption is used by the USDOD and is very well respected.

I haven't a clue about the devices that are compatible with Verizon as we have not switched from Nextel yet. We anticipate switching to Verizon in the next 6 weeks or so...

Hope this helps.

FWIW, I've been using Verizon cell services for about 4 years. In our area they have the best coverage. A friend of mine recently bought the air card that Bravo mentioned for his laptop and so far seems very happy with it.

Ask around though because our daughter had to switch from Verizon when she went to college. Our phone service goes to analog when we go to see her which runs the batteries down quicker and causes voicemail to not work.

I have Cingular (used to be AT&T but merged) and it is a good "regular" cell phone system since I have no use for all the fancies. It is pretty cheap too. I have the phone that came free with the plan I signed up for. It's a low-end Nokia and it totally sucks balls. I am upgrading to a better phone as soon as my contract expires.

I'm with Sasktel. You could sign up with them, but long distance would kill you.:D

R35

Rockford35 said:
I'm with Sasktel. You could sign up with them, but long distance would kill you.:D

R35

Yeah, imagine all the extra string you would need.

token_hottie said:
I have Cingular (used to be AT&T but merged) and it is a good "regular" cell phone system since I have no use for all the fancies. It is pretty cheap too. I have the phone that came free with the plan I signed up for. It's a low-end Nokia and it totally sucks balls. I am upgrading to a better phone as soon as my contract expires.

Did you know Cingular has a refurbished phone program? I bought a Treo 600 last year for $119, sold it on E-bay after a year for $192 and bought the Treo 650 for $139.

ezra76 said:
Did you know Cingular has a refurbished phone program? I bought a Treo 600 last year for $119, sold it on E-bay after a year for $192 and bought the Treo 650 for $139.

Good to know. Will have to look into that.

You know, if I were out playing golf, and my playing partner suddenly had his push-to-talk phone start going off, I would probably gladly lose an iron in an effort to smash that foul device's noise.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
You know, if I were out playing golf, and my playing partner suddenly had his push-to-talk phone start going off, I would probably gladly lose an iron in an effort to smash that foul device's noise.

That reminds me of a funny story. When I was back in Tucson I used to go golfing with co-workers and whenever I was out with one guy in particular his wife would call him about every 3 holes or so to bug him about something. One day after about the 3rd call from her he got so fed up he chucked his phone into the pond. It was a great moment in golf.

He had no more calls from her that day :)

token_hottie said:
That reminds me of a funny story. When I was back in Tucson I used to go golfing with co-workers and whenever I was out with one guy in particular his wife would call him about every 3 holes or so to bug him about something. One day after about the 3rd call from her he got so fed up he chucked his phone into the pond. It was a great moment in golf.

He had no more calls from her that day :)
That'd suck so bad. Of course, I kind of hate phones, and turn mine off if I go out on the course. But still, I don't know how people go around with those things constantly ringing and having to yap on them.

So good for him. Now he should learn to turn it off as needed.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
That'd suck so bad. Of course, I kind of hate phones, and turn mine off if I go out on the course. But still, I don't know how people go around with those things constantly ringing and having to yap on them.

So good for him. Now he should learn to turn it off as needed.

I have my business 1800 # bouncing to it and I don't even take it on the course. I don't talk on the phone when I'm golfing or driving (don't even get me started on that one)

ShowLetter.jpg
ShowLetter.jpg

Rockford35 said:

R35
They have cell phones up there? Wait...they have PHONES up there?

E,

Please see my post above to Sling and replace "Sling" with "Eracer".

:D

R35

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35