• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chest putters

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at a point of desperation. I hate chest putters but I'm seriously going to try one. I'm great on the greens one day and absolutely useless the next. I see all these young golfers using them with consistent, great success. Cripes, VJ is using one for God's sake. I'm losing too many strokes on the greens. So, what is the best chest putter most good players use? (I've lost 17 lbs. so belly putter might need to be lengthened frequently..:D) :)

I think Vijay is using a belly putter, WBL.

The belly putter I bought cheap on eBay is a DC Carbite that I only paid $20 for. For short putts, up to 10 feet, I think it works great. I had a problem lagging long putts with. With my conventional Yes! Tracy, lag putting is my strength, I just have problems choosing a line.

Try a Heavy Putter. The weight of the club takes a lot of the yppiness right out of your putting stroke. Once I tried one at the PGA show with good results, I went out tried it a few more times before eventually picking one up off of eBay.

If you do not want to make that kind of investment, try increasing your putters head weight and then adding a backweight you your current putter. That is all that a heavy putter really is.

I've just switched back to a 50" Broomhandle putter ala Bernard Langer & Sam Torrence. Is that what you mean by Chest putter (47-50") held with your left hand at the top and your right hand swings it mid way down? Or do you mean a belly putter ala Mr Singh (40-45") anchored into the body but conventinal grip?

A great putter you see a lot of and I've had in the past is the STX Sync, you can pick these up in chest & Belly lengths on Ebay for about $35-$50. I'm After one of these but the shipping costs I've been offered are a small fortune. You could get a broomhandle one of these and if you don't get on with it you could send it over the pond to me.

I got a 50" Scotty Futura yesterday and sold my Ping G2i 50" within an hour of listing it. So if you get one and it don't work for you I'm sure you'll shift it with out loosing any money on it. Worth a try, WBL.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have yips just can't consistently hit on the line. One day I can't miss. The next I can't make. I want something I can trust all the time, fast greens or slow. I'm losing my scores on putting. Good score one week, horrible the next. The rest of the game is okay. :)

H-E-A-V-Y P-U-T-T-E-R

I didn't have the yips either.:laugh: Your a scientifical type, think about the momentum of the heavy puter versus a standard weight putter. Its a lot harder to pull an HP of line once it is in motion unless acted upon by a significant force.

Just go try one a few times. You will see what I am talking about.

Another vote for the Heavy Putter - even if you don't use it for every round (as I don't) it's great to put in the bag for a round or two if your putting totally deserts you, and when you go back to your old flatstick you'll be amazed at how much it's helped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think it's the weight that's screwing me up. I just can't keep the line with a regular stroke. Apparently. I'm going to have my local clubmaker build me a cheap one to try. :)

I don't think it's the weight that's screwing me up. I just can't keep the line with a regular stroke.

That's the joy of the Heavy Putter though - the weight of it really only serves to pull your stroke back on line by making it really hard work to get 'wristy' or have overactive hands as you putt. When you move back to your normal putter, your hands have been trained to go through nice and straight again.

As I said once before, it's like a training aid and a great gamer putter all in one!

You won't feel like a proper golfer using one of those

WBL....stop being a thickheaded numbskull. :)

Get a heavy putter. I have one, love it!

At least go somewhere where you can try one, they're really quite amazing in the way that they take the little muscles (yips) out of the putting stroke.

If you can't stay on line with one of them then your problems are not with the putter. ;)

Gee Doc,

That golf ball strike must have really affected your cognitive abilities. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54
Back