• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clone clubs.

Laxly

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to golf and new to this forum so I hope I've posted this thread in the correct place.

I was looking at buying some new clubs, but I read an article talking about "clone clubs", saying that apart from the name they are made by the same manufacturers and using the same technology. However I can find very few websites selling them, and those that I can seem to look amateurish at best.

So...

1. Are "clone clubs" any good?
2. Has anyone used them?
3. Is there any quality issues regarding them?

Thanks

Laxly

Ah....The Great Debate....

There are some good clones, and some bad ones. How do you tell the difference? Hit them both. I read an article recently that was talking about how most glub manufacturers now have their merchandise produced in China (China is the world's largest manufacturer of titanium products). The Nikes, Callaways, and Taylor Mades do all of the research and design that goes into the new clubs and then sends the model to their contractor in China for production.

According to the article, many of these designs (or molds) are quickly smuggled out the back door to another foundry where the knockoffs are produced. Will the copy be as good as the original? Maybe, maybe not. Some of this may be due to lack of production control or lack of final inspection. The basics of production are the same.

I have a knockoff set of Ping Eye2 irons that plays great (haven't used them in years). I'm currently playing a set of Adams irons that play better.

The 3rd player in the game are the "component" companies. Many of these components are similar to OEMs, but have design changes that keep them different. Some players swear by the component companies. Some of the component companies have now become mainstream (like Nickent).

If you're going to go with a knockoff or component, make sure there is a warranty or a return policy.

I find it hard to support clone clubs that are truely clone clubs. Clubs very similar in appearence and in name to heavily marketed name brands are clones that are essentially stealing from the name brands.

Component clubs are a fine way to keep costs down while getting yourself into some top quality equipment that is truely customized to your preferences as long as you deal with a quality component company. Personally, I have dealt with Golfsmith, Golfworks, and Tom Wishon Golf and would have no problems reccomending them based on the quality of their components. I the majority of my clubmaking purchases are through Golfsmith and would highly reccomend them as they have always provided excellent customer service to me.

Another option to keep costs down is purchasing name brand clubs used on places such as E-bay and golfclubexchange.com. As long as you are a careful buyer and research the resale values, you can get some great used equipment at great prices. The only downside to buying used is that you may have to modify the clubs to fit your swing and body make up by re-shafting or adjusteing length, lie, and other specs.

Enjoy the club search.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520