• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Refinishing

xhilr8n

trees hate me.
Reaction score
I see on here where you guys get you scotty's refinished etc. and i am curious as to who does this work. I don't have a scotty i want done but have my dad's old putter i would like to have redone....it's a cheapy but holds sentimental value.

Links or info please. Is there any coating that i could do my self etc.???

Jason

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2240_2336261289_2fc5c0e13c.jpg

Choose your color.

I used BOS Black Oxide Services for a Santa Fe Tei3 that I had refinished and it turned out great.

I also sent a callaway TT2 to LaMont Mann of MannKrafted putters. Haven't gotten it back but have seen pictures and it looks awesome.

Depending upon the material/finish you can do them yourself. You can buff an old brass putter or oxidize it using a salt/vinegar solution. If steel you can black oxide (cold), gun blue (cold), or flame. Custom paint fills can be done with model paint and toothpicks.

I refinished a Tytleist 980f 4wood head last night.

-Sanded head with 200grit to remove scratches and chips. Not necessary to remove all of the paint, just remove the surface layer and all imperfections. Sanded the face to remove scratches.
-Cleaned with acetone and let dry.
-Taped off face, sole and hosel with masking tape
-I bought 3 small cans of auto paint at AutoZone for $15 total: primer, Mica Black, and Clear
-1 light coat of primer, let dry 30 minutes, then 2 coats of Mica Black.
-Let dry 1 hour then light sanding with 600 grit waterpaper. Wiped head clean, then 1 more coat of Mica Black.
-2 light coats of Clear, let dry an hour and removed masking tape.

It looks great, almost new, as the sole painting was still in good shape.

well the old putter is aluminum, so i don't know how that would work.

On the Krylon........i didn't want to spray paint it and worry with it chipping off, running or anything like that.

Jason

Aluminum gets painted every day. The right primer will ensure adhesion.

I say you polish that bad boy up. Make it shine. If already bare you might just be able to put a mother's rub on it to bring some life back.

i actually dropped it off to be powdercoated yesterday....Then i know a guy at a machine shop that is gonna mill the face back true for me. Should be pretty nice overall. Ill post pics when i get it back together.

I have a studio style newport 2, and I noticed that when playing in the day time on a sunny day I am blinded by flashes off of the top line of the putter. Any suggestions for giving it a less reflective finish. Especially one that I could do at home.

I have a studio style newport 2, and I noticed that when playing in the day time on a sunny day I am blinded by flashes off of the top line of the putter. Any suggestions for giving it a less reflective finish. Especially one that I could do at home.

A green Scotchbright pad?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427