• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Congratulations Sergio.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. And one tournament win doesn't make a comeback. Especially some half baked off season tournament against a second rate field in his own backyard. I know since then he has also won a Euro tour event in China, but until he mans up and wins multiple majors the jury is still out.

It's good to see him finally start closing out some tourneys, but it's way too premature to say he has turned the corner. We will find out in 6 months whether he's legit or not.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. And one tournament win doesn't make a comeback. Especially some half baked off season tournament against a second rate field in his own backyard. I know since then he has also won a Euro tour event in China, but until he mans up and wins multiple majors the jury is still out.

It's good to see him finally start closing out some tourneys, but it's way too premature to say he has turned the corner. We will find out in 6 months whether he's legit or not.
Not trying to be argumentative, but how is Sergio Garcia not "legit?"

Last year, Sergio made 18 of 19 cuts, had 6 top tens, won, finished 2nd in the OWGR, and 3rd in the FedEX cup points.

Does a player have to be #1 to be "legit?"

I'm not a big fan of the man - he's an emotional infant, and definitely has a choking problem. But to say that he's not "legit" just doesn't make sense to me. He's a great golfer, and would have been ranked #1 in the world last year, if not for Tiger.

Not trying to be argumentative, but how is Sergio Garcia not "legit?"

Last year, Sergio made 18 of 19 cuts, had 6 top tens, won, finished 2nd in the OWGR, and 3rd in the FedEX cup points.

Does a player have to be #1 to be "legit?"

I'm not a big fan of the man - he's an emotional infant, and definitely has a choking problem. But to say that he's not "legit" just doesn't make sense to me. He's a great golfer, and would have been ranked #1 in the world last year, if not for Tiger.
The only way to be a legit world number won is to WIN. MAJORS. LOTS OF THEM. Making cuts and getting top tens makes you a very good player, but it doesn't make you a champion.

The only way to be a legit world number won is to WIN. MAJORS. LOTS OF THEM. Making cuts and getting top tens makes you a very good player, but it doesn't make you a champion.

theat's right! Not only can I not spell, I'm also a stupid spammer!

I read that Sergio missed two three footers in a row today. Looks the real Sergio is about to stand up again. What a douche bag.

Have to disagree hugely. David Duval only won one major (should've won more but thats an argument for an other time) but shot a 59, won in 9 out of 27 starts at one point and overtook TIGER to be the world number 1 (if only for a week).

Colin Montgomerie won seven straight european tour order of merits and another one for a total of 8, has a fantastic record in ryder cups and was a world number two behind TIGER and GREG NORMAN and should've also won a handful of majors.

Adam Scott to a lesser extent, has never won a major but has some very nice wins worldwide and is one of the greatest ballstrikers with a solid swing going around. You could also add to this list Henrik Stenson and Lee Westwood.

Now John Daly has two majors but not a lot else, and I have nothing against the man but of all the men I've listed here he has double the majors of David Duval and twice as many as all the others, yet I would personally consider him the least of a "champion'' of all of them. And yes I would eaily consider all of them champions.

Yes, majors mean a lot but they are DEFINITELY NOT the measure of a champion player.

My $0.02 (which converted to US is only $0.0135673) but still worth it damnit!

I read that Sergio missed two three footers in a row today. Looks the real Sergio is about to stand up again. What a douche bag.
That douche bag is still a far superior golfer to you, and I would imagine a far superior person as well.

So what he has putting problems? He is still the best golfer in the world at the minute. With his straight driving and probably having the best iron player in the game, he will win a major this year and once he wins one I think there could be many more to come. You really need to get off your high horse and forget about what Sergio did in the past.

So what he has putting problems? He is still the best golfer in the world at the minute. With his straight driving and probably having the best iron player in the game, he will win a major this year and once he wins one I think there could be many more to come. You really need to get off your high horse and forget about what Sergio did in the past.

Agreed. I throw some $hit his way for losing to Padraig or Vijay but the guy is the best ballstriker out there. Personally, I can forgive him for past actions/decisions. If I put myself in his shoes, it has to be frustrating to hit the ball so well tee to green then not finish it off. Personally, I think he just needs to get the job done one time, under pressure and he'll be able to get over the hump. He's still young and getting better, golf wise and decision wise.

Agreed. I throw some $hit his way for losing to Padraig or Vijay but the guy is the best ballstriker out there. Personally, I can forgive him for past actions/decisions. If I put myself in his shoes, it has to be frustrating to hit the ball so well tee to green then not finish it off. Personally, I think he just needs to get the job done one time, under pressure and he'll be able to get over the hump. He's still young and getting better, golf wise and decision wise.

Couldn't have put it better myself :thumbs up:

Have to disagree hugely. David Duval only won one major (should've won more but thats an argument for an other time) but shot a 59, won in 9 out of 27 starts at one point and overtook TIGER to be the world number 1 (if only for a week).

Colin Montgomerie won seven straight european tour order of merits and another one for a total of 8, has a fantastic record in ryder cups and was a world number two behind TIGER and GREG NORMAN and should've also won a handful of majors.

Adam Scott to a lesser extent, has never won a major but has some very nice wins worldwide and is one of the greatest ballstrikers with a solid swing going around. You could also add to this list Henrik Stenson and Lee Westwood.

Now John Daly has two majors but not a lot else, and I have nothing against the man but of all the men I've listed here he has double the majors of David Duval and twice as many as all the others, yet I would personally consider him the least of a "champion'' of all of them. And yes I would eaily consider all of them champions.

Yes, majors mean a lot but they are DEFINITELY NOT the measure of a champion player.

My $0.02 (which converted to US is only $0.0135673) but still worth it damnit!
Duval fully deserved his world number one status on the back of winning heaps of tournaments over a 3 year period, and an Open championship. Until recently Sergio hadn't won anything anywhere. Duval also got to number one with Tiger playing, an incredible achievement. If Sergio gets the nmber one ranking it will be thorugh the back door while the real number one is out injured.

And yes, John Daly is twice the player and three times the human being Sergio could ever hope to be. Even if you want to compare golfers on 'potential' and 'great ball striking' instead of winning tournaments, Daly beats him hands down. Daly is arguably the most naturally gifted ball striker any of us has ever seen and will ever see. From my time watching golf only Tiger, the Shark, and Sandy Lyle at his best would be in the same league as Daly as a ball striker.

P.S. not being pedantic, but Monty and Sergio have zero majors. Twice zero is zero.

Duval fully deserved his world number one status on the back of winning heaps of tournaments over a 3 year period, and an Open championship. Until recently Sergio hadn't won anything anywhere. Duval also got to number one with Tiger playing, an incredible achievement. If Sergio gets the nmber one ranking it will be thorugh the back door while the real number one is out injured.

And yes, John Daly is twice the player and three times the human being Sergio could ever hope to be. Even if you want to compare golfers on 'potential' and 'great ball striking' instead of winning tournaments, Daly beats him hands down. Daly is arguably the most naturally gifted ball striker any of us has ever seen and will ever see. From my time watching golf only Tiger, the Shark, and Sandy Lyle at his best would be in the same league as Daly as a ball striker.

P.S. not being pedantic, but Monty and Sergio have zero majors. Twice zero is zero.

Figure of speech for the twice zero is zero comment. Everyone knows what I meant.

And '99 wasn't the year for Tiger that pretty much very other one since has been. Tiger was struggling severely with his distance control in the time that Duval took over for a week.

But if we're going to compare Daly to Garcia then lets have a look at a few things.

Both have 19 career wins (Garcia has more on the PGA tour).
Garcia has 14 top 10 finishes in Majors compared to Daly's 3. (It just so happens that Daly won 2 of those). Aren't majors the tournaments where a golfer will show their true skill over time?
Garcia has a ryder cup record of 14-4-2 to 2006 (not sure what he did this year but not overly important), Daly has NEVER been selected.
Garcia still has 14 years to catch up to Daly's current age. A fair amount of time to win two majors I'd say, plus a crapload of other tournaments.

Now everybody says that Daly has 'potential'. OK thats fine, but how does he fulfill it? Who's to say that if never drank, or smoked, or ate like crap, or gambled that he would be able to play better or even as well as he is or has?
He could still be an unknown hacking it out on the Hooters tour for all we know....

And despite anything else, Garcia is one the finest ballstrikers ever. And everyone has an achilles' heal. Some peoples just hurt them more than others. Adam Scott could have won 5 majors by now if he could putt. Greg Norman could've won 15 but for the obvious. Jose Maria Olazabal and Jesper Parnevik could've won 10 between them if they could hit a fairway.
Garcia will get his major and probably more in due time.

Now I know this post makes me sound like a Garcia lover. In fact, I'm not. He's a whiny little prick and should've been severely punished for spitting in that cup like he did.

But as much as I don't like him as a human (as much as we can say without meeting him) he is UNDENIABLY a champion golfer.

Sorry for the rant!

This post would make baby Jesus cry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424