• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Credit Card Fraud

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
Reaction score
My bank just called me and apparently someone used my credit card to purchase something online with my name credit card number and the billing company says that it was from my IP address. How is this possible at all without me or someone in my house making these purchases?

Lay off the drugs. Memory loss. ;)

But seriously. Do you use a wireless router? Got any neighbors that could possibly be in reach?

Good luck to you in battling the credit card company.

It is not a problem for many to specify a proxy or Ip address that you use.

The other issue you may encounter, may have to do with you provider. Whether or not they use a static IP for your computer, as opposed to many who use dynamic IP that is automatically assigned by your provider, and then is recycled every time you log off and another one of their clients logs on.

So for example, if you are with someone like AOL, and you log off the next AOL user may have that ip assigned to them. So the place may actually just be taking that range and say it was you because you are simply with the same provider.

Also do you log on from work? Was the ip your home or work? Someone could simply hack the Cookies on your pc, or even log on from your work PC. For that matter do the same if they hacked your home PC.

I have a static IP. I know that its not hard to find out what someones IP is but then emulating it? I didnt know that was possible. As for my cookies I have alot of saved passwords and that kind of thing in my browser so I guess its not that hard to believe that someone got ahold of it. I have a wireless router but I have it encrypted. This frustrates and pisses me off to no end because I dont even have enough money for me to use let alone someone else.

You may also want to find out if they entered your 4 digit security code on the card to help track down how it happened.

I have a static IP. I know that its not hard to find out what someones IP is but then emulating it? I didnt know that was possible. As for my cookies I have alot of saved passwords and that kind of thing in my browser so I guess its not that hard to believe that someone got ahold of it. I have a wireless router but I have it encrypted. This frustrates and pisses me off to no end because I dont even have enough money for me to use let alone someone else.
If you do not commonly change your encrypted password, it can be hacked fairly easily, although it does usually take a bit of time to do a brute force hack on the encrypted password. One reason it is usually good to change it at least every few months. Specifically if you live in a populated area.

Also, you should only be liable for around $50 with most Credit cards.

My computer is on all the time 24/7 365. I have DSL so my computer is always connected to the internet and I store all of my passwords and inputs using cookies. Id have to bet that someone got into my computer and got all of my info.

Where was the item sent? Find out from the purchase details and get the order sent to your CC company. They will contact local law enforcement and it will be investigated.

If they bought a "service" or the like, you might be hooped. Most CC's have fraud protection, I'd be surprised if you don't.

R35

Where was the item sent? Find out from the purchase details and get the order sent to your CC company. They will contact local law enforcement and it will be investigated.

Like R35 said the purchase had to be sent to an address.
Was my first thought as well, but just assumed the CC company would be on top of that.

Amazing how stupid criminals can be at times. :laugh:

Examples I have heard are endless. Worked for a convenience store in college. It got robbed one day. The guy took all the lottery tickets along with the cash, then came back the next day to turn in the winners, which I believe was around $10. Or quite a few years in prison, as it turned out. Probably would have been scott free if not for that "Stupid Gene"

Good luck getting the CC company to work with you. From my experiences in the past they are douche bags & will refuse to believe you.

Its not a credit card its my debit card and I have it through a credit union. I met with the VP today and they said that there were pending charges that havent gone through but if they do I will need to file a dispute with the company. It seems like someone purchased a service and not an actual item.

Thanks for the free Oriental Massages!!

Hope you get it resolved.. You shouldn't be liable for any of the purchases made, however. Be stern with them.

Its not a credit card its my debit card and I have it through a credit union. I met with the VP today and they said that there were pending charges that havent gone through but if they do I will need to file a dispute with the company. It seems like someone purchased a service and not an actual item.
May want to do some searches on the fcc.org website, I believe many of the same liability amounts that apply to CC's are the same for Debit cards. I also believe for them not to apply, they would have to prove that the fact that it was more was due to a delay on you reporting the issue.

Then again, if this was less than the $50, then the point is probably moot.

Would also seem that it had to have a CC tied to the account, otherwise it would have likely required a PIN# or bank routing #??? Is there a MC or Visa logo on your card or tied to the account? The bank can't likely put you at that risk, then say that is not really a CC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520