• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

debate

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif's note version - clubs then lessons or lessons then clubs

Alright so I have not had the time in he past 2 years to play like i had previously. I was down at one point to ~10 hcp. While not great it is better than the 20 im playing to now. For the actual question my gf is getting my new clubs for my birthday and I am planning on taking a couple of lessons here shortly. Should I get the new clubs early and relearn on them or should I iron out my swing before I get new clubs.

thanks

Kevin

btw I'm the bag setup is as follows

Ignite 410
V-Steel 15
Nickent 17 & 20
Mizuno MX-11 4-PW
Nickent ARC 54
Vokey SM 60
Heavy Putter

good bag

take lessons

practice

turn to booze

go to rehab

report back

all the best

Dave

I am no expert at this, but would likely want my swing to be in it's natural form prior to getting fitted for clubs. To assure you end up with the correct lie.

My main reason for chiming in is the fact that my thoughts on lessons are changing somewhat. I know the value, but I really am starting to think more time on the course is of more value. When I started, I dumped about 10 strokes off of my handicap by joining a course. When I moved up here, I added them back. Joined at the end of last year after about 3-4 years and they came right back off. Granted, without initial lessons, I likely never would have reached that point, nor would I have ever wanted to join a course.

Not sure if it is right for everyone, but I personally would take a membership and more time on the course over lessons and clubs. Get out and play 9 holes (or as many as you can) after work, and get out about 4-5 days a week. Seems to work best for me. Then take lessons on what you know to be an issue, if you still have any issues. Take the money you save on not having to pay lessons and greens fees for an entire year and buy clubs.

Not sure anyone else feels the same way, but for me it is alot more enjoyable way for me to revamp my game than lessons or new clubs. As I found the end of last year that the first time wasn't a fluke. I also only required lessons when I did not belong to a course.

If you are going to get new clubs, then I vote get them now and work with the clubs your going to be using. No sense trying to gage distance with clubs then switching and having to go through that again.

Get the new clubs

Have lessons

Throw clubs away

Get more new clubs

BUT, If that was me I would have a lesson and let the pro decide which route to take.

gobber

In my opinion, the answer lies in your age, physical condition, and the amount you plan to play. Unless we are in quite good physical condition... and playing a fair amount... our swings will change from day to day and round to round. Lessons can instill the fundamentals, but (again, in my opinion) won't accomplish much past that with an occasional player. If, on the other hand, you are playing quite a bit, you can hone the muscle memory that will allow you to retain positions dictated by the lessons.
I'd take the clubs first. Then play as much as possible with the clubs for a few months. Upon building a relationship between your game and the new clubs, you will be able to better determine the components of the game that need work. You might take lessons now... work on iron play... and find your real nemisis was in the short game. Beyond that...

Remember the factoid of golf. $$$$$=S (Strokes) You can ALWAYS buy a better game. That's what has kept us ho's in this game going for years. That's what keeps OEM's in business. Furgeddabout da lessons! Buy clubs... and when they hiccup... toss 'em in the closet and buy more clubs!!! This is one of the requirements for entrance into the unique group known as "Shot Talkers"!!!!!

LOL....what great advice...:)

Get a decent set of clubs. Then, go out and hit the range and the putting greens. Then practice some more. Hit the course a few times, and practice more.

If you're not improving by this point, get a couple of lessons. Even the smallest swing tip can have enourmous results.

Then, after the lessons, do all of the above all over again, except keep your decent set.

Driver (10-12*)
3 wood (15*)
Hybrid 3 iron
irons 4-PW
Gap wedge 56*
putter

You don't need anything else at this point.

R35

I stand behind what Limpalong

just said 100%. Played Spalding Topflite Pro-Forged irons from the day I got them in 1976. Was on the Golf Digest Forums for years. Kept those clubs. They were my Trade Mark. Golf Digest discontinued their forum and luckily, I found this great spot. In less than a year, I have Mizuno MP-67 irons, hybrid, and two wedges! It is absolutely amazing what has happened.

Having said that, I believe having suitable equipment is very important for any golfer if they want to play the best they can whether occasionally or seriously and often. Your question is a good one, but it may not have a clear answer. There is a gamble involved either way. If you get lucky, you get the right clubs on the first try, learn your best swing with them, and live happy ever after. Or you might get the wrong clubs, learn how to swing with them, and then have to switch to something else later. I do think that this will involve developing FEEL for different clubs and that the swing fundamentals learned will remain constant. You might develop your swing to the point that clubhead speed improves requiring a different shaft or something like that.

I think it was correct when it was stated that a good teaching pro could probably guide you to a good choice of clubs that you could stick with.

Best of luck to you. Sincerely, Denny Crane

to be sure, set up an ebay and paypal account as well lol

rob

Learn from Ez. Get the clubs fitted, love them, sell them, buy more.

Rinse and repeat.

I posted the exact same question on another board and was advised by a very credible teacher to buy the equipment first, because many swings flaws are caused by improper equipment. However, the caveat was to make sure the clubs were fit by a reputable club fitter.

Now I'm just trying to convince my wife that none of the 3 sets I own really, really fit my game.

In my opinion, the answer lies in your age, physical condition, and the amount you plan to play.

and find your real nemisis was in the short game. Beyond that...

Well my problem has always been inside 40 yds. Even when I felt I was playing well I could never get under 33 putts a round. Haven't had lessons since I was about 8.

For the record I'm 25, tubby, and plan to be playing a full 18 once a week, the lunch break nine once a week and then hitting the office driving range 2-3x a week

That bag looks pretty decent to me, not like you are playing 70's clubs or anything. You would see little difference in new clubs. I'd stick with the irons, take a lesson, play a month or two and see where you could use improvement. Like if a lot drives are low and tend to go right, a higher loft and a little draw bias may help.

I may ho a lot but it's more of a hobby. Clubs make very little difference. I'll bet I'd shoot the same if I dragged out my set of yard sale cast Mizzy's, beat up 200steels and 1 wedge. I play a lot of clubs that are beyond my playing ability.

to be sure, set up an ebay and paypal account as well lol

rob

I get bored and curious at work so Ebay is nothing but trouble for me. Ended up with a sonartec 3.5 14* because i bumped the bid all of $1.10 with 12 hours left on the auction. However I did end up with a new Accuflex Evo S the same way. So i guess it evens out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520