• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Draw vs. Fade

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I thought about a round i played the other day and how I could have played it differently and i came to the conclusion that it all depends on what you prefer; draw and fade.
So I thought, why not start a thread about it. We all know there are different ways of hitting a draw resp. a fade, how do you guys do it?

I myself prefer to hit draw shots on long hits and a fade into the green, but my fade is not very accurate so most of the time i dont tempt to do it....

I like to slightly draw the ball on every shot that needs a draw and fade it on a shot that needs a fade.

Sometimes it works, other times I end up looking stupid!

I can pretty much draw and fade a ball to order with every club except my driver where its just too unpredictable at the moment, only thing is that sometimes I put too much of either on it. When I'm trying to hit it straight that is when the slight draw makes an appearance, I have to physically setup for the fade. - Just need to practice more!

i tend to open my stand up w/ most of 7i-wedge shots, which naturally produce fade for me. rest of my irons/woods/driver i try to keep it straight. there's really no need for trying to hit draw or fades if the fairway is relatively straight. i know wind/green and fairway condition/hazards come into play, so you can shape the shot and get little bit of advantage.

fade can be controlled better, but if you want to shape a shot, it's really up to the condition of the course and how it plays that particular time you're getting ready to hit. i wouldn't try to hit a fade when the pin placement is on right w/ tight hazards. i'll try straight or draw to take the harzards out of the play.

but i like to fade the ball when i can.

I never thought I'd say this but here goes... the most direct route between two points is a straight line. I'm hitting the ball straighter than ever and I'm mostly giving up on the draws and fades constantly. Starting to work more on hitting the ball higher and lower instead.

Anyway, Fade is produced by cutting across the ball, making it spin clockwise and the opposite for a draw. I hit a fade by opening my stance slightly and the clubface open slightly for a high fade. Aim face at target, aim bodyline/swing path on the start line. Opposite for a draw, which I need a whole lot more commitment not to OTT pull it. I hold off my release for a fade and let it roll over on a draw. That is another draw problem... trying to just trust it and resist the urge to try to overpower the release, which will result in a dead yank if I do so. Fade is a lot easier since I just bascically do nothing instead of turning it over.

The thing I've learned about my home course is there is always a spot Mr. Ross intended the ideal approach shot to be hit from. Always a nice ,clear, unimpeded shot into every green that I could hit a PW or a 3W into providing I land it in the right spot online. Finding these areas with a teeshot or a layup on a par 5 is key. This course was built when guys were hitting persimmon and lord knows what for balls. Cripes, hickory shafts were only a few years gone by. It's made for 200yd. drives and FW woods and long irons into a lot of par 4's. Knowing this and using it to my advantage is key to score well there.

Draw, and that isn't totally correct Ez. Draws are proven to be the longest shots, :D

But for your general shot, yeah, I like the draw.

Pretty simple.. the fade. Nothing else works better with all irons than the fade because its the easier of the two to control (now i mean like 1-5 yards not 20+) . Also it helps the ball land smoother on the green. If you hitting an approach with a fairway metal and you know you need some roll flatten your swing and go for a draw.

I can play both shots in trouble situation but the fade is easier to pull off.

I'm with Ez. I always prefer the straight shot. I don't hit a fade or draw easily so why bother? Just go at it. :D

I find it difficult to hit draws and fades with todays drivers, I only seem able to hit it straight even if it is straight right or left. With my irons I am rather good at bending the ball around obstructions in a dramatic fashion, but when it comes to a skillful, measured fade/draw then I've no chance. I'm reluctant to practice them as I don't want to jeopardise the straightness I've somehow developed.

Either is good,depends where the pin is.

In general my swing doesn't produce the exact same ballflight day to day and have to see if I'm fading or drawing the ball that day, it's quite frustrating at times. However most days it's a natural draw that I try to play. Even when the pin is on the right side of a green, if my natural shot is right to left I'd rather go with that and work the ball towards the middle of the green rather than away from it.

All that being said when I need to try and hit it close I will go to a hold off, kind of punch cut because the curve put on the ball is very consistent. I probably use it on 75% of par 3's because of this.

I just try to hit it straight, which is where my good swings go anyway, I don't have much of a natural draw/fade either. I hear most people do but mine go pretty darn straight and that's what I hope for.

Like Ez said, I aim for the spot I figure the designer wanted as the approach area. In Deep in to a dog leg corner, to the left of the bunkers guarding the green, over the hill, wherever.

Sometimes they even go there, which is a great surprise to both me and my clubs.

I'm not very good so I gotta manage the course to the best of my ability. I leave fades and drws to good players.

In general my swing doesn't produce the exact same ballflight day to day and have to see if I'm fading or drawing the ball that day, it's quite frustrating at times. However most days it's a natural draw that I try to play. Even when the pin is on the right side of a green, if my natural shot is right to left I'd rather go with that and work the ball towards the middle of the green rather than away from it.

All that being said when I need to try and hit it close I will go to a hold off, kind of punch cut because the curve put on the ball is very consistent. I probably use it on 75% of par 3's because of this.

Same here. I can go one or the other a lot easier and usually takes a few holes to figure it out. Really a pisser when the #3 hole is 2nd (and it should be #1 IMO) and the real #1 is 3rd. Fairway deep is must or it'll be a very tough par. I also try to hit a little cut on most par 3's. It's my natural shot and stops a lot easier. When the slight fade is on, it's deadly on the approach shots. When I'm on with the fade and the putter is warm, breaking 80 should be a given.

My natural shot is a slight draw, but I have been working on cutting the more. With the low spinning golf balls of today, I seem to get a few more yards of carry out of a cut since it launches a little higher. I also find it easier to control distance with a fade, both with carry distance and total distance.

I will still draw the ball on occasion and will pull it out for the obvious shots (dog leg left tee shots) as well as when playing into the wind. As many stated before, a straight shot will rarely get you in trouble, so that is always a good option as well.

My natural shot is a slight draw, but I have been working on cutting the more. With the low spinning golf balls of today, I seem to get a few more yards of carry out of a cut since it launches a little higher. I also find it easier to control distance with a fade, both with carry distance and total distance.

I will still draw the ball on occasion and will pull it out for the obvious shots (dog leg left tee shots) as well as when playing into the wind. As many stated before, a straight shot will rarely get you in trouble, so that is always a good option as well.

yet few if any pros hit it straight,with Nicklaus even saying a straight shot is a fluke

yet few if any pros hit it straight,with Nicklaus even saying a straight shot is a fluke

Lots of people say the straight shot is the hardest shot to hit consistently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520