• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver shots getting too much airtime.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
My driver is the TM R7 460 in a 9.5º loft. It seems like no matter how high or low I tee the ball this thing sends them to the moon & as a result I end up with crummy little 210-230 yd drives with no roll. I have a 15º Burner 3 wood & this thing is a slingshot of a club, the balls just zing off the face & dont fly 200' up. I am getting about 10-15 yds less carry with this club but I get more roll so it almost comes out as a wash in the end.

Why the hell would a 9.5º loft send the balls so much higher than a 15º? That's completely backwards of the way I have understood it to be. Both clubs have regular flex shafts, the Burners is the stock one & the R7 has the UST Proforce 65 in it.

Are you sure you are putting the same swing on the ball with the driver. Had the same problem with the driver only a couple years ago. Turns out I was trying too hard and actually reverse C posture as I was hitting ball. Resulted in huge sky ball but solidly struck. Had to make sure I had a complete weight shift.:)
And held my spine angle.

Hmmm,if its technique and you are to steep you will occasionally get the odd sky mark.My bet is its just the wrong shaft/combo for you,your launch is to high with to much spin.

if you're hitting a 9.5* driver the same distance as a 15* 3wood, I think there's two possible causes 1) your swing is different with the driver - it's entirely possible that you're swinging differently and adding effective loft to the driver so both clubs are launching at similar angles or 2) (this probably sounds crazy) your driver doesn't have enough loft to maximize distance - many golfers should be using 10.5 -12* drivers but everyone has in their mind that they should use something lower like the pros

"too much spin" is only really an issue when swing speeds are over 100mph (but you can begin to see a tiny difference at 95mph) - golfers with lower swingspeeds need spin to keep the ball in the air to maximize distance.

Spin can't be to blame between your driver and 3 wood - I was recently told by an expert that "Typically you see the spin rate decrease by about 180-200rpms for each one degree drop in loft at an impact speed of 100mph" - so your 3wood should be spinning the ball a whole lot more than your driver and I don't think differences in shafts are enough to make up for a ~1000rpm difference

what's your swingspeed? have you demo'd your driver against 10.5*, 11*, or 12* drivers on a launch monitor?

have the face angle checked on your driver... sometimes quality control is shiat, and ive seen drivers go from 8.5 stated, to ~10.5 actual...

I'd try stepping away from the ball a little, adress it more off the toe. That will ensure you are not coming too steep into it. Worth a shot and it worked for me.

I'd try stepping away from the ball a little, adress it more off the toe. That will ensure you are not coming too steep into it. Worth a shot and it worked for me.

I think you may be on to something.

Rick, I get more carry with the driver it's just that I get no roll since it comes down from orbit & just plops. My swing speed is sitting right about 90 & seems to suit me ok. Just like to work out this skyrocketing driver deal. Going to try Ezra's suggestion.

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodehene1