• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

eBay tightens the noose

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Reaction score
eBay has officially announced the end of "Other Payment Methods" effective late October.

From the August Newsletter:

"Starting this fall, we're moving to an electronic checkout process that's faster and more reliable for sellers and buyers. As part of this move, checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay, although buyers can still use these payment methods for item pick-up, at the seller's discretion. In addition, the electronic payment methods will be fully integrated into eBay checkout. For example, if a seller has an internet merchant account, a buyer will be able to directly enter a credit card and never have to leave the site."

So, you will no longer be able to accept checks and Money Orders to circumvent the eBay-Owned PayPal fees unless you are a merchant that can accept direct credit card payments electronically.

Here is their reasoning:

"Today, items paid with check or money order are 80% more likely to result in an item not received (INR) than those paid with credit card or PayPal. Also, buyers who pay with check or money order are 50% more likely to leave negative feedback than those who pay with electronic methods. So starting in late October, 2008, we are moving to 100% electronic payments - credit cards, ProPay, or PayPal."

Good. No more a-holes who cant read the words "PAYPAL ONLY" who win your auction and then want to send a money order.

don't see an issue with it, of course ebay are going to protect their investment in paypal. Surely they can't be faulted for that. It wouldn't make much sense to buy software to use on your site and then not promote it.

you're using their platform to display you goods so they really have the right to apply t&c's

The only real issue I have with it is that they will now have absolute control over the fee structure. Some sellers like the convenience of PayPal, while some (particularly when selling high-dollar items) prefer the option to use another payment method to avoid the fees. That option is now gone, and who knows how high the fees will go?

Yeah, I can choose not to use eBay. That's really the point isn't it? eBay has become the de facto standard online marketplace. BIN sales have replaced auctions as the new model, and we soon won't have much choice left.

Anybody want to bet me that Craigslist (whom eBay owns) will start instituting listing fees soon?

I like that they are getting away from, "other payments" Paypal is so easy and seems to be pretty safe.
I used to always pay for Ebay items with a money order, but I recently started paying with Paypal and I like it.
I no longer have to go to the post office, pay the fees there and then mail out a money order. I just long onto Paypal and in a couple clicks its all paid for. I get my items quicker and I dont have to worry about a seller cashing my money order and then claiming they didnt recieve payment.
If I dont get my item, I simply file an Ebay despute and if I still dont get my item, I get my money back.
Im sure this will turn some people away from Ebay who dont trust Paypal, but I think overall it will make the whole experience better.

I've said it before, I'll say it again . . .

. . . can't wait for the day that Google decides to get into the auction site business and compete directly with eBay. Those guys know how to do things right.

PayPal is nothing but a mechanism to secure more revenue for eBay. They don't care about protection of the buyers or the sellers.

I could care less. I get shit on ebay for so cheap and sell for so little that a few bucks here and there isn't going to kill me.

If you're a retailer, you can either pay the fees or stop using Ebay. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Capitalism isn't a crime. But wanting your cake and eating it too is.

R35

Just used Craigslist to unload 2 snowmobiles today. I don't know how they stay in business with no revenue?

I could care less. I get shit on ebay for so cheap and sell for so little that a few bucks here and there isn't going to kill me.

If you're a retailer, you can either pay the fees or stop using Ebay. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Capitalism isn't a crime. But wanting your cake and eating it too is.

R35
There are a lot of things that capitalists do that should be illegal. Just like there are a lot of things that other people who subscribe to other socio-political economic models do should be illegal. Being an apologist for capitalism doesn't absolve them. And it doesn't mean that we have to just quietly accept the ass-reaming they dish out whenever they get the chance. Yes, we've still got the choice. Thank God for that. But when the choices disappear, what choice will we have left?

Just used Craigslist to unload 2 snowmobiles today. I don't know how they stay in business with no revenue?

They get some sort of revenue from some listings I think. I just "discovered" it recently myself. Sold a car, bought a car and picked up a side job on a Sat. for some extra cash. It's really a great site. If I'd been able to use that when I was trying to do my own business, I think I could have made it just fine. I could seriously make about $500-$600 a week cash off there no problem... dang, I need a pink slip. :laugh:

Oh, as for Ebay. I kind of with Lyle on this one. I've never used MO or checks and don't accept them either. I'd rather sell on here or WRX anyway. The only good thing is I tend to get the same price or a little higher plus the shipping costs off Ebay.

There are a lot of things that capitalists do that should be illegal. Just like there are a lot of things that other people who subscribe to other socio-political economic models do should be illegal. Being an apologist for capitalism doesn't absolve them. And it doesn't mean that we have to just quietly accept the ass-reaming they dish out whenever they get the chance. Yes, we've still got the choice. Thank God for that. But when the choices disappear, what choice will we have left?

You'll always have choice. Always.

R35

You'll always have choice. Always.

R35
Buy this or starve? Especially when every inch of earth and sky is turned into either a manufacturing facility, a high-density vertical dwelling structure, a fast-food restaurant, or a landfill?

No thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427