• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Either my boss hates me or he has an evil sense of humor

I lived in D.C. for twelve years and absolutely loved it. Can I go in your place?
What the hell is there to love about DC?

WAY too many people in WAY too small of space...not to mention the fact that they have a hard time not passing un-constitutional laws...

No-thanks.

Used to live there when I was a kid and my father was at the Pentagon. Still go back at least once a year on the weekends. When we lived south of here, we would go down specifically to eat at this place which I will mention as it seems there are alot that like DC, stay the night and come back as it was only 2 1/2 hours from where we used to live.
Mikes American
They have some of the best ribs you will find north of the Carolinas and was worth the drive. Other good food as well, but their fall off the bone ribs are tops. It is right off 95 where it meets the southern part of the Beltway.

Also Eclark, Washington is alot different than most big cities. When you get outside and right off the Beltway, the suburbs are not very crowded. Even in many of the central parts with a lot of the attractions it is not as crowded as say NYC or Philly, which I absolutely despise NYC for the reasons you mention. They also have one of the cleanest subway systems around if you don't want to drive. Although it was just frickin' comical that they re-elected Marion Barry after the fact, I try to stay away from the people who would have voted for him. :laugh: Although there are alot of really nice places that are easy to get too. Remember, there are also a lot of politicians that don't like to wait and deal with crowds. :D

If you go to Mikes, either go at lunch off times like early for dinner, or do call ahead seating as the waits can be 1-2 hours. It was the only restaurant I go to where I feel is worth the wait, although we would call from the hotel or about 30-45 minutes in advance for the call ahead, and they put your name on the waiting list. As long as you get there by the time they are ready, you are good.

Used to live there when I was a kid and my father was at the Pentagon. Still go back at least once a year on the weekends. When we lived south of here, we would go down specifically to eat at this place which I will mention as it seems there are alot that like DC, stay the night and come back as it was only 2 1/2 hours from where we used to live.
Mikes American
They have some of the best ribs you will find north of the Carolinas and was worth the drive. Other good food as well, but their fall off the bone ribs are tops. It is right off 95 where it meets the southern part of the Beltway.

Also Eclark, Washington is alot different than most big cities. When you get outside and right off the Beltway, the suburbs are not very crowded. Even in many of the central parts with a lot of the attractions it is not as crowded as say NYC or Philly, which I absolutely despise NYC for the reasons you mention. They also have one of the cleanest subway systems around if you don't want to drive.

If you go to Mikes, either go at lunch off times like early for dinner, or do call ahead seating as the waits can be 1-2 hours. It was the only restaurant I go to where I feel is worth the wait, although we would call from the hotel or about 30-45 minutes in advance for the call ahead, and they put your name on the waiting list. As long as you get there by the time they are ready, you are good.
True PA...its not as bad as NYC, and i vow to never set foot int hat city.

DC is not as bad as most but its still WAY beyond my threshold for too many people in one area.

You guys can have your big cities. I'll take a small town close to, or on, the coast any day of the week!

Although, I'd visit Boston again in a heartbeat. Absolutely one of the best big cities I've ever visited!

True PA...its not as bad as NYC, and i vow to never set foot int hat city.

DC is not as bad as most but its still WAY beyond my threshold for too many people in one area.
Probably one of the reasons I like DC, you can venture to places like Alexandria, Springfield, Herndon, or Mt Vernon and be in an area that is about 10-15 minutes from the center of the city and still be in a rather desolate area. Then the people with you that want to see the sites and deal with the crowds can get there quickly. Where NYC, you just know it is going to be a brutal day. I think that is why I like DC so much, because I am just like you and do not want to deal with the crowds. Lived 40 minutes outside Philly for many years, and only 1 hour from NYC right now and can count the times I have been to each to specifically visit the city on one hand. I dread when friends and family from the midwest come to visit, because I know it means we will likely have to visit those cesspools. :laugh:

Annapolis is another nice place close by, and we usually go over there around lunch and get our Seafood fix.

The only thing I know about DC is the traffic sucks, every place sucks to move stuff into and it's expensive as hell. 2nd only to NY, which just released the "$12 cheeseburger."

DC's awesome and conveintly located right next door is the number 2 murder capital city in the US....Baltimore....Baltimores a fun place to go as well, you just gotta know where not to go. I've met far to many DC haters that have never actually been. I work with lots of military from small town everywhere that when you ask how they're enjoying their two year tour here will spout off how much it sucks...and then you ask "what have you been to down in DC" and they'll say..."never been, I heard it sucked". So much to see and do and most of it free....If you've never been you should come and visit...maybe not in August cause it's hot as hell here....try Spring and Fall, less crowded and much nicer weather.

We tried to get a hotel for the night in DC near where we had to deliver. $390 for the night. We drove 20 miles out and found one for $175. I went there when I was younger, to the museums and what not.

Baltimore was a little scary at night. Truck broke down there and I had to spend the night.

We tried to get a hotel for the night in DC near where we had to deliver. $390 for the night. We drove 20 miles out and found one for $175. I went there when I was younger, to the museums and what not.

Baltimore was a little scary at night. Truck broke down there and I had to spend the night.
Most of the Marriotts have weekend rates in DC where you can usually stay for under $100 and it includes a decent breakfeast at many of them.

It is the weeknights were it is expensive because of business travel. They are very competitive to get people in the hotels during the weekend.

edit 1 - ... for example. $89 for a Suite in Herndon this weekend. Have stayed there and they have a Omellette bar and buffet breakfeast in the morning, or did last time we stayed there. ... as low as $69 for some of the other Marriott property. The reason it was worth the drive where we used to live. Would have paid about $30 my wife and I just for the breakfeast.

I ain't worrying about how much DC is gonna cost; that's the guvmint's dime.

I just don't wanna be there for a week listening to some liberal pukes and doing role playing for a week.

I wonder if I'll get in trouble if I wear cargo shorts and MGP's "I choked Linda Lovelace" tee-shirt the whole time I'm there?

Well Doc, I just applied and interviewed for a position in D.C., if I get it, I'll let ya know and we'll try and squeeze in a round or two.

Have only spent 1 day in DC & didn't see much since we were on the bike. Traffic was truly a nightmare, far worse than anything I have ever experienced in Chicago or LA.

What I did see of the city I thought was pretty cool. Rode to the HD shop in Lanham & went thru some nasty assed areas. I actually got pulled over by an ambulance as I was near RFK stadium, the driver who was black asked us what the hell we were doing in the area & told us not to stop for any traffic lights.

Well Doc, I just applied and interviewed for a position in D.C., if I get it, I'll let ya know and we'll try and squeeze in a round or two.

I thought the only position in DC was bent over..... :D

I probably won't have time for any golf, and probably won't have my sticks, but who knows?

I live in Alexandria and work downtown. DC sucks to live in but can be a nice place to visit. If any of you make it up here let me know and I'll take you out for a round. I'm a member at a not pretentious club outside of the beltway. Nothing fancy but a decent course and not crowded. Only rule is you have to put up with my crappy play.

That goes for you too Jeff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422