• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fowler Channels Payne

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Reaction score

A stylish tribute to Payne Stewart. (©/Steven Gibbons)​
RICKIE FOWLER REMEMBERS WHEN HE HEARD about the untimely death of Payne Stewart. Fowler was 10 years old and sitting in the back seat of a car with his mom and sister. He was a big Payne Stewart fan. The terrible news hit the boy hard.

"I started crying in the car," Fowler said on Thursday at Pinehurst.

Stewart dressed for the game and played the game with style. The same can be said for Fowler, especially today.

In a tribute to one of his golfing heroes, Fowler was outfitted in white knickers, a light blue shirt and argyle-patterned stockings. Rickie looked good and played well, just like Stewart did on this spot 15 years ago when he claimed his second U.S. Open title.

Mickelson liked the gesture when he saw Fowler in the locker room. Fowler characterized it as a "great reaction." The spectators also appreciated the attire, he noted.

The Oklahoma State product finished with an even-par 70. He was happy with his opening round.

"I played really well today," Fowler said. "[That was] probably the worst I could have shot."

His inventory of the round included hitting 12 fairways and 15 greens in regulation, which constitutes fine ballstriking on the Donald Ross layout.

Fowler from the fairway. (©USGA/Michael Cohen)​

Source: Fowler Channels Payne

Pretty cool, Ricky needed a different hat though. Plus-fours with the ball cap looks kinds of weird.

If I were a pro golfer, I wouldn't want anything near me called "plus-four."
Well, I always found it funny that people call them, "knickers" because in the UK, knickers are what people refer to underwear as.
I think Id prefer plus-four over knickers. The correct term for them is, "plus-fours". I know this because back in the late '90s, when I first started playing golf, I was a huge Payne Stewart fan and dressed in the same way that he did for golf.

I was a big Payne Stewart fan and was devastated by his passing. It was a huge hit and loss to the game. A very classy move by another fan. Well done Rickie!

He's played his way into the final pairing too. Any bets on if we see the plus-fours again?

Geez.. Golf Chan is even calling Ricky's haircut "right".

Thank you Butch Harmon, Fowler swing coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520