• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting Longer

token_hottie said:
I'm sorry, I'm looking for the thread entitled "getting longer"... this one seems to just be about golf.... a little help please??? :)

Oh, those are in my spam emails. I made the mistake of responding to one of the "enlarge your manhood" emails with "I just want to know who the hell told you guys I have a small penis?". Now I get 10 times as many.

ezra76 said:
Is this basically Hogan's attempt at using vernacular even a college student hasn't heard of to describe maintaining the shaft angle through impact? No offense but all those Hogan things are way too much overanalysis IMO. Just hit the little white ball as hard as you can. :)

Hogan was a very technical player. He believed that only by precisely controlling five fundamental things (grip, stance, posture, backswing, throughswing) could the average golfer build a swing that would allow him or her to develop a REPEATING swing and consistently break 80. That was the goal of his book - to help the average player learn a repeating swing that would help him or her break 80 consistently.

There is certainly value in the philosophies, "take dead aim" and "hit the damn ball"; but while they can produce great shots, they are by nature self-limiting. Golf is a partly a game of mechanics, and it is widely accepted that Ben Hogan had the greatest swing, and was the greatest ball-striker, of all time. He is teaching the mechanics the way he knows how.

Hogan's book is a difficult and technical read. But he believed in precision; he wrote a technical manual of the golf swing. He had to be precise. If you've read the book you would know that his minutia is accompanied by illustrations, and by logical and simplistic explanations. In short, he lays out the details, then shows and tells why the details are important, and finally provides practice methods (drills) to reinforce the learning. Adult Education 101.

Is Hogan's book right for everyone? Absolutely not. But his philosophy that a repeating swing is critical to success on the golf course cannot be argued.

You want to read a book that takes the mechanics of the golf swing to a whole other level? Over-analysis sine qua non? Read Homer Kelley's book, "The Golfing Machine".

token_hottie said:
I'm sorry, I'm looking for the thread entitled "getting longer"... this one seems to just be about golf.... a little help please??? :)

Sorry TH, it's all in "Member's Only" section.

Yesterday evening I played the front 9 at Goshen. Normally I play the whites: 3091 yards; 34.9/126.

As an experiment I played the blues: 3445 yards; 36.2/133.

Whoa! Big difference on some holes. Where before I would have a 8i or wedge in, now I was hitting a 5i. #4, a par 3 over water, went from a 5i to a 5W. I found this out when I put a 4i and then a 3i in the water.

On a couple of par 4s, my second shot was with a fairway wood. :(

What I noticed most was that on this heavily wooded course, the longer tees seem to be back in the neck of a funnel: my tee shot not only has to be longer, but it also has to be more accurate.

Tomorrow is my clubfitting day. I hope to come away with a few more yards and a lot more accuracy.

Eracer said:
Supination is an outward bend at the wrist. Imagine a string tied to the outside of your wrist pulling your arm forward to the target, the outside of your wrist leading the way through impact, with your fingers lagging behind.

Sorry, but this definition is totally wrong.
Supination is the rotation of the left forearm or wrist counterclockwise (or right forearm clockwise). Pronation is the opposite.
What you are talking about is Hogan's wrist bend before impact, which MAY favor a supination movement.

Davebud said:
I was saying there is no snowballs chance in hell I could do that, 153 is a full 8 iron or and easy 7 iron.
and you drive it over 300. jesus, i hit it 240-260 off the tee but hit 8 150.

19handicap said:
and you drive it over 300. jesus, i hit it 240-260 off the tee but hit 8 150.

Yeah I am not really sure why I can't hit the irons further, everytime I try to really put a swing on them I slice or hit fat. I have some stiff shafts coming I bought Thursday, I am hoping that my slice is a result of under powered shafts. It makes sense that the regular shafts I have been using, lag during the downswing and are leaving the clubface slightly open. When I close it, I either shank or hook, we shall see.

Loop said:
Sorry, but this definition is totally wrong.
Supination is the rotation of the left forearm or wrist counterclockwise (or right forearm clockwise). Pronation is the opposite.
What you are talking about is Hogan's wrist bend before impact, which MAY favor a supination movement.

Loop, thanks for the clarification. I went back and read that section again and realized that I had completely missed the point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520