• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Girlfriend clubs?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Reaction score
My girlfriend played golf in high school (we are both young, myself being 20 [just barely made it], her being 19) and is interested in playing again since I am such an avid golfer. I took her to the range and she swings like she's never played before, but that's okay. Her irons are probably a heavier SW than mine, and are definitely cheap mens clubs. She's tall for a girl, about 5'9", so the length isn't an issue as much as the weight and steel shaft.

I don't know how serious she is about playing, so I'd like to keep the cost down, but I am not going to invest anything in garbage. I still have a set of graphite shafts from a set of M565's, which are definitely lighter; but they're a stiff flex. They'd certainly be better than what she has now for her, but I'm open to other offers or suggestions. She needs something light.

It's the heads I'm most interested in at the present. Not really that concerned with a driver or woods right now, though I'd pick some up if the price was right. Ideally I'd like a good quality set of game improvement iron heads. Not necessarily shovels, but definitely something bigger and more forgiving than my MP-30's.

This set is not for me, by the way :ugly25:

Suggestions are welcome !

There's been a lot of good talk about the Callaway'eque clubs from Hireko (sp?). I know Lyle's bagging them right now and at least one other (just can't recall his name off the top of my head at this hour - it's not THAT late but I do have a newborn in the house so I'm getting like NO sleep).

Anyway, good reviews and like $6/head; something to consider.

it's not THAT late but I do have a newborn in the house so I'm getting like NO sleep).
good times - good luck with that :)

MGP has a great review in the review section of the Acer XP905 Pros (I think) (stay away from the forged face model and go towards the all stainless)

I also just used hireko components to build 2 sets of irons for my sister and her boyfriend - the Oxygen type X (g5'ish) and Acer hollow cores (fusion'ish) having handled them both, I'm super impressed for the price

certainly worth a look

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Link me when you get a moment, Rick. Otherwise I was considering a set of Mac M455's. I really like MacGregor products. Always wanted a set of 1025C/M because I LOVE the look of them. There's a set on the bay right now in mint condition, but after totalling my car I really can't justify a backup set for myself x_x

6$ a head sounds really good.

I've got a set of Bridgestone GC OS in A-flex graphite that I used while my arm was healing. 4-PW in A-Flex and a gap wedge in R-Flex (also graphite). they've got mebbe 10 rounds on them.

I was going to keep them until someone said they needed some.

i have a set of adams ladies tight lies graphite irons for sale pm for more info

Hireko's XDS Wide Sole irons for $5 a head, and Acer L flex graphite shafts for $9 a shaft, unless you can luck out and find a really cheap ladies graphite set on sale, like I did with the Acers from Globalgolf. I think I paid $25 for the 5-PW, then built the SW.

I have a full set (bag included) of Tommy Armour/Ram Accubar ladies clubs, graphite shafts. Yep, they're cheap ladies beginners shovels. They're in great shape if I clean them up.

Not sure you're interested in them based on your statements above, but thought I'd let you know. If you are, let me know and I'll check with her on what she wants out of them.

clemsonhacker's lady adams are a great suggestion, also.

Oh, I also have a solid pink Adams cart bag (not the one with the Ram's) from an A2OS ladies set we bought that's in 9.5 shape (been on the course maybe twice). My wife decided on a Datrek 14 slot black/pink trim bag, so this one's been in the closet.

good times - good luck with that :)

MGP has a great review in the review section of the Acer XP905 Pros (I think) (stay away from the forged face model and go towards the all stainless)

I also just used hireko components to build 2 sets of irons for my sister and her boyfriend - the Oxygen type X (g5'ish) and Acer hollow cores (fusion'ish) having handled them both, I'm super impressed for the price

certainly worth a look

I tell you what, Acer makes some damn nice irons -- especially for the money. Very playable and nice fit & finish.

The friend I played with my last round needs new irons desperately. He's a lefty and to make matters worse he has three young kids so money is tight. I am building him a set of XP905s like Lyle plays and the cost for the whole iron set will only be a little over $100.

Get some pictures of her, preferably unclothed, for fitting purposes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you're missing the obvious answer, MC

I'm playing some slighty used Acer XDS2 irons (circa 2002, callaway x-14 type) that i got off ebag for $31 with TTDG S300 shafts. I like them a lot, and i couldn't be happier for the price....

Oh BTW, Silver, I love the Ben Hogan driver you sold me, I'm crushing it!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520