• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Going to Florida tomorrow and having a case of the shanks

jstanger12

Reaction score
I am going on a golf trip tomorrow and have been going to the driving range for the past few weeks to touch my game up a little bit. Yesterday I got a pretty bad case of the shanks and need to get it straightened out before I leave. I had been hitting the ball solid prior to yesterday. What was happening was I was hitting everything and it was going low and slicing (I have never experienced this before). My guess is that something is screwed up with my grip. I have read that for a right handed golfer the left thumb should be slightly to the right side of the shaft. I have heard that it should be straight down the shaft. Which is going to give me the most consistancy? Explain what should happen if the thumb is on the front of the shaft (hand rolled left), when it is straight down the shaft and when it is in the back of the shaft (hand rolled right). I thank you in advance.

The 'S' Word

Ahhh, the 'S' word huh? Usually the shanks come from the hosel of the club hitting the ball instead of the face of the club hitting the ball. In my experience, the shanks are caused by your body moving towards the ball during the swing instead of moving towards the target. try putting a board just on the opposite side of the ball. That way you will not move towards the ball.

Hope this helps!

The shanks, yips, and other weird, unexplainable problems in golf are almost always mental. My only advice to you is to relax, tell yourself you've done it before, picture the shot flying on a perfect trajectory, and execute. I would bet money that this will work, it sounds like you are putting too much pressure on yourself for this golf trip, as my dad tells me anytime I get nervous during a tournament, "Just play golf."

I wouldn't worry about the grip, it's always worked before, right? Just Play.

Copperas

Went to the driving range at lunch and everything is back to normal. I agree, it was probably a mental problem. All is good to go for Florida.

jstanger12 said:
Went to the driving range at lunch and everything is back to normal. I agree, it was probably a mental problem. All is good to go for Florida.

It's impossible to "Ess word I will not speak" in Florida. Too much humidity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301