• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good Day from Washington, by way of Ireland!

JoshinWA

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Josh. I am a 29-year old, living in the Vancouver, WA area. I have been golfing on and off since I worked at a country club at age 12. During my prime, in high-school, I was probably playing to a 10-12 handicap, but I had real problems with my long irons and woods. Now I have problems with really old equipment! :)

I am planning to get some custom fitted irons this year, then next year look for Driver and 3W.

I am striking the ball well enough that I will probably get forged muscle-back irons, likely MP-60 knockoffs. I don't have the money for the name brands, so I may go with something like the Diamond Golf.

Any thoughts on what gains I will see from new irons with proper fit vs. old irons off-the-rack with 10-year old grips (played probably 50 times)? I expect some increase in distance and accuracy with stiff shafts (swing speed around 110MPH with driver, ~175-yd carry with current R-flex 5-Iron). I was curious if anybody has thoughts about increased yardage with proper shaft flex...

Well, I have to go back to work. Oh, yeah - I am in Ireland now, and will be coming back in November to play some golf - possibly at the K Club!!!

If you hit the old irons well, regrip them and get out there. Then start saving some coins to get what you want as opposed to what you would settle for, I have figured that out, I have 3 sets of Irons, 2 of them I thought would be OK, now I am playing with half a set of Irons I really like until I collect them all. There is always that little "should I have?" in the back of your mind. Anyhow it's nice down there in Vancouver, will be playing at Neuwakum in Chehalis on Monday.

Davebud,

Thx for the reply. I just went to the range today with my wife, and I definitely am getting back "in the groove". Out of ~50 swings, only 2 went sideways, the rest were right down the range. I am just getting back to it, so I need to work on my alignment, but otherwise I am really hitting 'em.

I will probably take your advice and focus instead on new woods. I basically can't even hit the driver - old ping eye 2, grandpa shafts, and short (got them from my grandpa) - so some new Ti woods will be where I focus the $$$.

It is pretty nice here in Vancouver - I am going to go play on Tuesday, as I also have that day off...

Talk to you later.
Josh:)

Davebud,

Thx for the reply. I just went to the range today with my wife, and I definitely am getting back "in the groove". Out of ~50 swings, only 2 went sideways, the rest were right down the range. I am just getting back to it, so I need to work on my alignment, but otherwise I am really hitting 'em.
Josh:)

Welcome Josh

Thats pretty good shootin. Keep it up.

Grip size?

I have fairly small hands (from crease in wrist to tip of longest finger is 7.375"). Should I get 0.560" core standard grips? I don't want to do anything funny with the grips to change my release, just not sure what core size to order for standard grips...
Josh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427