• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GPS is disappointing.....

The yardages on about 50% of the course I have played are wrong. With muni's that number is as high as 80%, and 50 yards is nothing.
Honestly, 280 is a big poke for many guys at the professional level. With 15 yards of roll factored in, it would mean a carry of 265 yards. This requires a swing speed of 107mph, and perfect contact. I could name 20 PGA players who have swing speeds slower than that. Again, I dont mean this to offend. Just based on my experience, both on the range and having guys hit balls on my LM, it just seems very, very unlikely. I would give most guys 50 balls and bet them $1000 that they cant hit one 280. Unless the fairways are rock hard and you are getting 40-50 yards of roll, I just dont see it happening.

The yardages on about 50% of the course I have played are wrong. With muni's that number is as high as 80%, and 50 yards is nothing.
Honestly, 280 is a big poke for many guys at the professional level. With 15 yards of roll factored in, it would mean a carry of 265 yards. This requires a swing speed of 107mph, and perfect contact. I could name 20 PGA players who have swing speeds slower than that. Again, I dont mean this to offend. Just based on my experience, both on the range and having guys hit balls on my LM, it just seems very, very unlikely. I would give most guys 50 balls and bet them $1000 that they cant hit one 280. Unless the fairways are rock hard and you are getting 40-50 yards of roll, I just dont see it happening.

I agree that 280 on a regular basis is beyond most golfers. And distances/length displayed for most holes is not the straight route, having worked a lot with GPS and mobile software on golf courses I know that to be the case. I was actually surprised by the distances I hit my clubs once I got them calculated accurately. I hit a fairway wood 256, and my driver 260 during the last round I played, max distance for driver is 270.

Honestly, 280 is a big poke for many guys at the professional level. With 15 yards of roll factored in, it would mean a carry of 265 yards. This requires a swing speed of 107mph, and perfect contact. I could name 20 PGA players who have swing speeds slower than that. Again, I dont mean this to offend. Just based on my experience, both on the range and having guys hit balls on my LM, it just seems very, very unlikely. I would give most guys 50 balls and bet them $1000 that they cant hit one 280. Unless the fairways are rock hard and you are getting 40-50 yards of roll, I just dont see it happening

LyleG

I'll have a better idea after tonight on yardage (and driving) accuracy after I play this course. It's only 60º F here so stay tuned... :)

How far do you hit your driver Lyle? Just curious.

G10's still command a pretty penny on Ebay which shows how good they are.

Okay, the GPS results are in.... and the iGOLF neo is a fantastic little instrument with a "shot" feature you just set to 0 on the tee block and it reads your distance to the ball (when you get to it).

First of all, the course tees were pretty darn accurately marked. The markers down the fairways were not. So...

I hit all my (driver) shots spitting the fairway and reasonably long. Lyle said 230 average, came out to about 239 average (Nah nah Lyle!! :D ) and shortest was 230.

And I hit one really, long (for me) drive straight down the middle as good as I figure I can hit it with a Bridgestone B330 ball in 60º F temperature and no wind. The ball seemed to just explode off the clubface with a beautiful trajectory. I hit one that feels this good maybe once or twice a round. I don't know how much the temperature plays into the distance or if that ball is a good or bad one to use in colder weather but the people standing by oohed and aahed when I hit it (over a river in front of the tee block) and the guy fishing off the bridge (this is a park) said that was the longest drive he's ever seen on that hole. :thumbs up: So how far was it? The neo said 261 yards. So BITE ME Lyle, BITE ME!!! :D Oh yeah, the fairways were lush green, not hard and not soft and I got normal roll.

This wasn't the course I drove the green on. That was Ives Grove. This was an easy course, Washington Park, in the middle of Racine. So whether I can hit one 275 in 85º F is still up in the air.

I'll take this distance and be happy with it. :)

All this discussion about yardages I had to try out my Neo for a 9.

On the 9 I played today, on the 6 holes I hit driver, 3 into the light wind, 3 downwind, I averaged 260 even according to the Neo. Hit two terrible shots that went 249 (one down, one into wind) and a couple of nice ones that went 277 and 272.

The rough here is wet and long. The fairways are plush. There just isn't a lot of roll out there. It'll be fun to take the Neo out and try this again next summer under baking conditions.

How far do you hit your driver Lyle? Just curious.

My normal driving distance is between 230-240 yards. I hit my 3 wood 215 and 5 wood 200.

Shot 78 this evening in a 20mph winds, and a temp that never hit 10* (low 50's for ya yanks)

Much, much more to golf than distance. I have played with the same ball for 3 straight rounds fwiw. Its done now, can hardly tell what make it even is anymore.

I can hit 230 easily with my 3 wood, and google earth has confirmed this. It also confirmed my 250 yard monster pured shot.

May I sugesst buying one of them?
I used to be able to hit my old G2 7w 230 yards, google earth confirmed. Although I prefer to play the majority of my shots out of the fairway and not the woods, so now I only hit my Driver that far.

I'll sell you my G2 7W, as it is certainly a steal if it goes as far as your 3w. I figure I paid $149 on my Driver, it certainly would be worth that much as it goes the same distance.. :laugh:

edit 1 - I have the 5w and 3w as well. The 5w has to be worth at least $200 and the 3w about $300. I'll sell you all 3 for say $450 simply because the have a couple skymarks.

Now there's a scary thought... :D Forgot Lyle's wife is pregnant too... gulp. :emot-ange

But you can watch Claire!! :shocked:

warbirlover, anyone can tell just by looking at your avatar that you're an AMINAL!!!!!

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423