• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Has anyone ever entered a Long Drive Competition?

You don't need THAT kind of publicity....:D

R35

I dont use a driver very often but my longest has been measured at 379. Normally i use a 3 wood we have a 328 par 4 dogleg right (if the yardage is correct) and i can just reach with a 3 wood.Ave drive prob about 285 with a 3 wood.
I have seen some of these guys on television and i dont think my back would stand the swing speeds they generate.My swing speed is 118 wood 96 iron.I would like to watch one of these comps but i have never seen one advertised in Britain apart from the london golf show.

Rockford35 said:
You don't need THAT kind of publicity....:D

R35

Arr, arr, arr. :D

Maybe Sling means I should compete wearing the thong. :)

Well, I'm going to watch. If there aren't a whole lot of people there laughing, I may take a swing for the team.

I figure I can hit 320 4 out of 5 times so in a few more months I should be out to 350 1 out of 6

This is a joke right?

I just got back from the range where the long drive competition will be held. Just for grins I borrowed a Ping G2 8.5*, Aldila NV-S shaft to compare with my Titleist 983K 9.5*, Graphaloy Prolite regular flex. I hit the Ping 30 yards longer, and straight.

Somebody please tell me I don't need to spend another $200 on a driver. :(

Yesterday, the guy at the shop was telling me about his best friend, just got back from Phoenix, had an opportunity to try the new G5 driver. Said he got 50 yards extra on his drives.

Does that help?:D

R35

The master said:
If internet golf forums are anything to go by, they should be filled with Long drive champions.

Keepin it real Master!! I get a little tired of hearing it myself. I have been moving furniture since I got out of high school. My forearms are nearly 15" around and I have the flexibility to reach down straight legged and put my palms on the ground. I can swing at 123mph. all out and can barely carry a drive 300 on my most monsterous drives. Physics don't lie. Anyone who claims to carry a drive over 330 has a swing speed faster than Mark McGwire. Unless you're 6'5" with 18" biceps you better make sure those signs at the range aren't moved up 50yds. Just a little food for thought here too. I've heard many a player say they can hit a 300yd. drive, lets just reaffirm what a "true" 300yd. drive means. That monster 440 yd. par 4, unless you are hitting a PW approach, you can't hit it 300yds. 500yd. par 5, less than an 7iron second, you are still a member of the 275 club.

SiberianDVM said:
Oh yeah. Now I need a $400 driver. :(

Sweet. Let me know when you buy it, I'll have "the next best thing" lined up by then. :D

R35

I was looking at the BANG
website earlier and I really love the thought of a Bangster OL with a Fujikura shaft........yyuuummmm. :)
bangsterpanel2.gif

Rockford35 said:
Sweet. Let me know when you buy it, I'll have "the next best thing" lined up by then. :D

R35

You're killing me (and my wallet) Rock. :mgw:

Somebody needs to bring about 100 different demo drivers to my range.

Slingblade61 said:
I was looking at the BANG
website earlier and I really love the thought of a Bangster OL with a Fujikura shaft........yyuuummmm. :)

Does that say 5 degree!!

SiberianDVM said:
You're killing me (and my wallet) Rock. :mgw:

Somebody needs to bring about 100 different demo drivers to my range.

What, like every week?

Here's a free tip. Get some lessons. I'm willing to be a bag of chips and chocolate bar that it's not your driver...:D

R35

PS>...get the G5, regardless tho...only cuz when you find out it's not "the one", then maybe I can give it a go...:biglol:

Guys I am keeping it real and I am not joking

Trying to get a video camera lined up so I can show you, I realize there is some doubt. Additionally Ezra I am not nearly that big or that tall, however I have three other things working for me you did not mention, I have doublejointed shoulders, abnormally long arms, and most importantly although I am 38 years old I am pretty sure I am one of the most limber people on this forum. I can climb through an AF 92 in a roof and not touchdown on the sheetrock below, I have even had one job on a 10 story building where I climbed through an conduit hole that was 9.5" by 9", lost my pants doing it, but I did it. If you want to put these events in context imagine squeezing your body at 6' tall through about the size of a regular piece of paper for your printer and not allowing yourself to end up on the sheetrock on the other side.

Davebud said:
Trying to get a video camera lined up so I cam show you, I realize there is some doubt. Additionally Ezra I am not nearly that big or that tall, however I have three other things working for me you did not mention, I have doublejointed shoulders, abnormally long arms, and most importantly although I am 38 years old I am pretty sure I am one of the most limber people on this forum. I can climb through an AF 92 in a roof and not touchdown on the sheetrock below, I have even had one job on a 10 story building where I climbed through an conduit hole that was 9.5" by 9", lost my pants doing it, but I did it. If you want to put these events in context imagine squeezing your body at 6" tall through about the size of a regular piece of paper for your printer and not allowing yourself to end up on the sheetrock on the other side.

I wasn't directing anything at you. I actually had to go back to see your previous post. As far I've learned the bottom line for distance is how fast the clubhead is moving when it hits the ball. Flexibility allows for a larger turn and more width, allowing more time to get the head moving faster. I also just added the end part in for any guys who are getting a little ahead of themselves. I had a drive on a 505yd. par 5 last year with a 9iron in on my second. I caught the downslope on the burned out fairway and it rolled out to @ 350. To carry a drive 320 is a bomb. If anyone can get that they need to start experimenting with a 7.5* head and a 48 inch plus shaft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520