• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have you REALLY tested irons/clubs?

If you can work a set of HiBore hybrid irons you are a far better golfer than I am, lol.

You must be pretty bad if you can't even open or close the face. :shocked:

If you can work a set of HiBore hybrid irons you are a far better golfer than I am, lol.

Why would these be any harder to hit with side spin? Side spin comes from opening and closing the face at impact. Club design has no effect at all on this. Height yes, sidespin no. Seriously, some of you need to stop believing all the marketing hype golf digest is selling you.

Why would these be any harder to hit with side spin? Side spin comes from opening and closing the face at impact. Club design has no effect at all on this. Height yes, sidespin no. Seriously, some of you need to stop believing all the marketing hype golf digest is selling you.

Maybe I've improved greatly since i had them, I sure hope so anyway. But I couldn't work them at all. Everything went dead straight, either straight ahead, or straight off to the side if I opened or closed the face. No curvature at all, just a rocket off to the right or left depending.

But I had just taken the game back up, so its quite possible I wasn't doing something right?

I can hit a duck hook with my Mizzy's or my Naks, but it was a difficult endeavour with my Bertha's. Just wouldn't turn over as much, not even close. Game improvement clubs with their thick soles and offset are built to eliminate these very types of shots. Players clubs are the opposite - they allow the player to pick and choose what he wants to do.

At least, this is my experiences with them. I gave up on Golf Digest years ago.:D

R35

Thick soles are designed to eliminate fat shots and move mass lower for a higher ball flight. Offset is meant to help a player a hands ahead of shaft impact position. Neither do a thing to help control side spin. I can identical draws and fades using X18's or pure blades. Neither design does jack shit to offset side spin which is the result of an open or closed face.

Thick soles are designed to eliminate fat shots and move mass lower for a higher ball flight. Offset is meant to help a player a hands ahead of shaft impact position. Neither do a thing to help control side spin. I can identical draws and fades using X18's or pure blades. Neither design does jack shit to offset side spin which is the result of an open or closed face.

Well, then I must be doing something wrong. The reason I got rid of my Callaways (the Berthas) was because I could work them as well as a players cavity - period. I went to X16 Pros and loved them, but I was half a club longer with the Mizunos so I carried those.

I've played Players' Cavities since and haven't looked back - based solely on the reasoning that they could not be worked.

R35

The thing is the ball has no idea what kind of club deign is hitting it. On a center face strike the results are exactly the same regardless of club design. GI club help on off center hits because they have more perimeter mass reducing club twisting and helping reduce distance loss. Nothing in the design of a GI club will reduce the result of a center strike with an open or closed face. Faces are all flat, and the ball reacts the same on all of them.

The thing is the ball has no idea what kind of club deign is hitting it. On a center face strike the results are exactly the same regardless of club design. GI club help on off center hits because they have more perimeter mass reducing club twisting and helping reduce distance loss. Nothing in the design of a GI club will reduce the result of a center strike with an open or closed face. Faces are all flat, and the ball reacts the same on all of them.

Hey now, a lot of us have used a variation of that argument against high priced Camerons:D

Back when I had my old man's Ping Eye 2's I coud fade an 8 iron 40 yards and those irons have to have THE MOST OFFSET I'VE EVER SEEN! And with that you better believe I could hook the shit out of them too.

Like Lyle said, the club face is flat, its your swing path and face angle at impact that does all the work.

The reason it is difficult or impossible to hit a high cut with an iron like the Nike Slingshot I mentioned is because they are shut, have a really wide sole and a ton of bounce. The next time you are in a golf shop pick up the 3-iron from a set of slingshots and the 3 iron from the Nike VR blades. Open the blade and sole each club on the ground. Compare how the clubs contact the ground and where the face is. Then you will see your first obstical. Next hit some balls and you will see that the weighting of the slingshot is set up to make it difficult for you to hit the ball with an open face.

PS: I'm not talking about someone making a horrible swing and hitting a slice. I'm talking about hitting a controlled high cut to a set yardage to attack the pin from a tight fairway lie..

Just wouldn't turn over as much, not even close. Game improvement clubs with their thick soles and offset are built to eliminate these very types of shots.
You musta been doing something right.
Offset = Hook
Offset = Hook
Offset = Hook
Offset = No fade.
:D

Those of you that say a SGI can't be worked, let's hear a reason, because this is definitely not my experience with trying to work a SGI iron.

You are saying that, if I hit a blade 5 iron dead center with the face 5* open, and a SGI 5 iron dead center with the face 5* open, they will cut different amounts? This is a center hit, so horizontal gear effect does nothing (if it would anyway - the face is flat and the CG is very close to the face...).

In other words, what do you think it is that causes a SGI iron hit dead center with an open face to apparently NOT cut?

With the blade wide open on many SGI irons from a tight lie you will have a hard time making good contact to hit a cut without blading it due to the design of the club. The wide sole and bounce lift the face up off the ground a significant amount. Its probably something that only guys who play blade or players cavities and routinely work the ball both directions can relate too.

A draw is actually a lot easier to hit with GI clubs but not a cut.

GI irons also generate way more spin and have a much lower CG which results in the ball getting airborne a helluva lot quicker than with a players CB or blade. They're built that way by design. Lyle touched on this earlier.

Remember Phil's giant sweeping draw around the trees to 10 feet at the Masters a month back? Not a chance in hell he hits that shot without first ducking the ball under the trees and then turning the ball a ton at the same time with a GI iron. If you think he could, you're fooling yourself.

While all the day to day shots are probably within reach of any club out there if struck properly, to say that one is no easier than with another set is comical.

If you want proof, just look on Tour. These guys do this for a living. If they could make the game easier to beat, don't you think they'd play what is easiest to do that with? With all the equipment at their disposal, they choose what works for them. There are very few that are using true GI irons on tour. The only couple I can think of that have had any relatively recent success (arguably) is Kenny Perry playing non-TP R7 irons.

Edit: I'm also going to add that this is one of those arguments that can't be won, so let's agree to disagree before this thread gets to 25 pages of the same shit. :D
R35

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423