• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello, I'm a new addict

Tenn-Driver

Reaction score
I would like to say hello as my 1st post here...

This feels like a AA meeting...

Hello, my name is Tenn-Driver and I'm addicted to golf.
For over 45 + yrs I felt that golf should be played by :hunter: the ball out of the air or taking a nap with it in the back ground on the TV...

It started 2 mos ago when I told my buddy Bob that any idiot can hit a stupid little white ball down the fairway... You see this is Bob's 1st season at this sport as well, but he has been taking lessons...
2 weeks later he gave/shipped me a cheap set of Northwestern's. I found that it took me 6 swings just to move the ball... totally in the wrong direction, well it wasn't long before I realized that this idiot couldn't hit the ball to save his life... that was in Sept.

A week later I played my first game with another friend here locally that has played for several yrs and beat him by 4 strokes :prop: that was the beginning of the end for me... I've since setup a tree tarp as a backdrop to practice my swing, bought a S-wedge, a electric putting partner and a driving/chipping mat. :rolleyes:

I have played 8 round (9 holes ea) , started out finishing with 63/64 and soon got down to 53/54. I realize that this isn't great.. not even good but there is more... :wow:

I was in Bordentown NJ last NOV visiting Bob (the person that is guilty of getting me hooked on this stupid game).
While hitting a couple buckets of balls at the local range there, when he hands me a 460cc Ram driver. I can best describe it by what he said... I have invited you to a knife fight and handed you a machine gun :faintthud
I went from slicing and hooking every other hit to hitting straight 250 to 300 consistently or at least out of sight... He gives me the club and wishes me well... Of course he claims I have the ugliest swing he has ever seen and laughs at me, Now is this a friend or what ?

Between the new driver and I did buy a new putter, a V Rod Mallet, I managed to shave 10 strokes :)
2 weeks ago I shot a 49 and was in shock.. this was only my 3rd time on this course and 7th time playing period.
This past Wens I bought a very nice set of Cobra SS oversized on eBay for $100... Friday they were sitting on my door step and I just had to give them a try... Saturday I had to get my fix :emot-ange

I went to a 9 hole course that I haven't been able to play any better than a 54 and shot a 44..!!! I mean these new clubs and I just couldn't miss... I couldn't believe the difference a quality set of clubs could make, I even par'd 4 times ..! I never par'd before and now I did it 4 times in one game :idhitit:

Did I mention I travel around the country a lot ?

So many golf courses, So little time....

So there you have it in a nutshell.... I've already been compared to a crack addict and I don't care, I have to have my fix.

I hope to continue to improve my game, unfortunately there is a lot of things I don't know about the game and that is why I am here...

Please forgive my way of having fun with this am my obsession with this stupid sport, the story is true though...

Is there any hope for me to recover from this addiction ?

Welcome aboard and you'll find some real crackpots and entertainment here, believe me! Of course, there's a few sane people around like myself. You're doing really good for a beginner! See ya around!!:)

I am sure you already know this but golf has to be the most difficult sport ever. Michael Jordan cant even get really good at it and I have been playing since I was six and still suck at it. Now you can appreciate the shots they make on the TV. Welcome!

Altogether now group "Hi Tenn-Driver!"

Warbirdlover keeps saying that he's sane. That's just crazy talk. Seriously, though. Welcome to a great group, and a great game.

Welcome to your new family!!! :)

I am in the same boat as you. Started about 3 months ago. For the past 3 months, Golf has been the only thing on my mind.

I am going to be 30 this weekend, my only regret is I didn't start this game earlier.

Welcome to your new family!!! :)

I am in the same boat as you. Started about 3 months ago. For the past 3 months, Golf has been the only thing on my mind.

I am going to be 30 this weekend, my only regret is I didn't start this game earlier.

Happy B'day, Jonny mate. I'm 30 in January, pretty scarry thought all down hill from here mate. :D

Happy B'day, Jonny mate. I'm 30 in January, pretty scarry thought all down hill from here mate. :D

Funny, I just turned 28 but have our first child on the way. Time does fly but I have found the best way to relieve stress from life and work etc is golf. At least thats what i tell my wife....
icon10.gif

Thanks ManchesterGolfer. I used to think it was all downhill when I turned 21. LOL.

As for golf, I've got alot of catching up to do.

Funny, I just turned 28 but have our first child on the way. Time does fly but I have found the best way to relieve stress from life and work etc is golf. At least thats what i tell my wife....
icon10.gif

Congrats on your first child on the way. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had a wife plus my gold obsession. LOL.

Reminds me of this golf joke I read:
http://www.scratch-golfer.com/HerDiary-HisDiary.htm

I don't like the "His Diary" entry. The one I read said:

"I shot the worst round of golf in my life today, but at least I got laid" :)

Welcome aboard! Golf is an affliction of which there is no known cure.

Nice to see people coming on, giving good explanations and address stuff, without trying to sell us things.

I've already been compared to a crack addict and I don't care, I have to have my fix.
Is there any hope for me to recover from this addiction ?

As you continue to pursue this great game, you will probably find a crack addiction would have been the cheaper "habit"... and possible easier to recover from!! You will develop a love/hate relationship with a game... yes, just a game! You will wake up with cold sweats, fantasizing about the newest driver or set of irons that just hit the market. You will spend $400 on a new driver and then find yourself wanting to throw it in the nearest lake! Very few games can take you from a low to an exhorbitant high back to a depressing low in just 3 swings of the club. You will find yourself muttering words you never knew were in your vocabulary... and shouting those nasties at inanimate object like small white spheres.

Through all this, you will develop a love and appreciation for one of the great pastimes of this world. You will feel the sweet sensation of striking a ball on the center of the clubface and watch in awe as it draws slightly and heads directly to the center of the fairway or the flag locaton on the green. You will enthusiastically wait in anticipation of the next time you can return to the course, knowing well the score may or may not be better. You just want the opportunity to walk another fairway and strike another ball.

As you mature... I just turned 60... you will realize the Good Lord only gave us so many swings in these bodies. You will learn to appreciate each and every time you have the opportunity to tee it up. As you grow with this game and work diligently to build your swing, please take just as much time to learn the etiquette and traditions of this game. Learn how to be a good playing partner, no matter what score you shoot. Learn how to leave the course in a little bit better shape than when you entered it.

No, once "hooked", you will never get away from this addiction. Realize that early on. From that point on... Welcome to the game!!

As you continue to pursue this great game, you will probably find a crack addiction would have been the cheaper "habit"... and possible easier to recover from!! You will develop a love/hate relationship with a game... yes, just a game! You will wake up with cold sweats, fantasizing about the newest driver or set of irons that just hit the market. You will spend $400 on a new driver and then find yourself wanting to throw it in the nearest lake! Very few games can take you from a low to an exhorbitant high back to a depressing low in just 3 swings of the club. You will find yourself muttering words you never knew were in your vocabulary... and shouting those nasties at inanimate object like small white spheres.

Through all this, you will develop a love and appreciation for one of the great pastimes of this world. You will feel the sweet sensation of striking a ball on the center of the clubface and watch in awe as it draws slightly and heads directly to the center of the fairway or the flag locaton on the green. You will enthusiastically wait in anticipation of the next time you can return to the course, knowing well the score may or may not be better. You just want the opportunity to walk another fairway and strike another ball.

As you mature... I just turned 60... you will realize the Good Lord only gave us so many swings in these bodies. You will learn to appreciate each and every time you have the opportunity to tee it up. As you grow with this game and work diligently to build your swing, please take just as much time to learn the etiquette and traditions of this game. Learn how to be a good playing partner, no matter what score you shoot. Learn how to leave the course in a little bit better shape than when you entered it.

No, once "hooked", you will never get away from this addiction. Realize that early on. From that point on... Welcome to the game!!

One of the best posts I've ever read...thank you.

Congrats on your first child on the way. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had a wife plus my gold obsession. LOL.

Reminds me of this golf joke I read:
http://www.scratch-golfer.com/HerDiary-HisDiary.htm

I don't like the "His Diary" entry. The one I read said:

"I shot the worst round of golf in my life today, but at least I got laid" :)

Its expensive to say the least, and my game has suffered, but its all worth whille. Good joke too...cracked me up anyway.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520