• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I have to let off some steam

OmegaG5

Reaction score
Sorry... but I have to let off some steam.

I'm a novice.... been playing since April this year, haven't yet broken 100 (close once at 101, although I have played 9 for 45), and play off a 28 handicap. So today I get involved for the very first time in a (seniors) cup competition at our club. I don't expect to really get anywhere of course, but this is going to be a good experience, and who knows?

Players set off in fours, and then next to last, a group of three, and finally, me with the seniors captain as a twosome.

On the first (par 4), I hit a 6 and he takes 7. (encouraging)
2nd hole, we both take 6
3rd hole, we both take 6

4th, he takes a 6 and I screw things up. I hit off the tee with a long slice and can't find the ball. Back to the tee and hit another, in the rough, but OK. I get a good next shot but a lousy kick right into a pond. I end up with 10 strokes.

5th hole, a long uphill par 4 (SI 1) and he takes 5 and me 6.

6th... An interesting hole, slightly uphill for the first 250 yards, over a brow, and then downhill the rest of the way. The 150 yard marker, a small slab in the fairway is just over the brow). He goes first and hits a driver 240 yards, just near the brow of the hill. I get a creamer of a tee shot with my 3 wood and we see the ball take its first bounce just beyond the brow of the hill, and then over out of sight down the hill.... right in the centre of the fairway. Great.

We walk up, he plays his ball..... and mine is not to be seen! It should be bang in the middle of the fairway, having rolled down the hill some distance. We don't even spend 5 minutes looking for my ball. We come to the joint conclusion that someone or something made off with my ball. After a couple of minutes, he announces that he doesn't want to lose touch with the threesome in front of us (they are just setting up to tee off on the next hole), and he marks my card "lost ball" "Nil Return". ......

"OK, I'll go back to the tee and hit another" I say. (There's no-one behind)
"Its too far", he says. "And I've already marked your card".

I don't feel like arguing with the Seniors Captain. Not the done thing. All I say is "OK, I'll put this situation down as one of those character building experiences". I know what I mean. He doesn't see through what I mean.

He suggests that he joins the threesome ahead, and I hand him his card.

I play on my own to the 9th... go have a beer in the club house, and then play the back 9 on my own when I have cooled down, and take 45.

An "interesting" experience for my first competition.
awww.british_genealogy.com_forums_images_smilies_banghead.gif

awww.british_genealogy.com_forums_images_smilies_sm_5cups.gif

He's a jerk. You have every right to go back and play another, especially in a tournament, and you should have spent every minute looking for your ball.

If he has a problem take it to the clubhouse and let him look like a fool in front of them too. I hate it when people who play in these tournaments act like they are God because they are playing competitive golf.

OmegaG5 I must tell you.....

Move to America.

Since I became involved in golf forums, even pre shot talk, I have heard endless complaints about UK commitees and the people who inhabit them.

Snobs are the first thing that comes to mind. It's so prevelant that it's a cliche here in the states.

The UK "class" state is well known but it seems to be micromanaged to the "nth" degree in the UK.....why? It must be ingrained in the English soul, otherwise it makes no sense.

I play a public course. I belong to what is known as the Men's league, I stink too but I have never, ever experienced anything but gracious and patient behaviour and I do not think that is the exception on public courses in the US and Canada.

Trying to learn and improve while playing with boors is damned near impossible.

I'll sponsor your visa application. :D

Yes... I know my place. :D
I'm not going to argue with the Captain.

OmegaG5 I must tell you.....

Move to America.

Since I became involved in golf forums, even pre shot talk, I have heard endless complaints about UK commitees and the people who inhabit them.

Snobs are the first thing that comes to mind. It's so prevelant that it's a cliche here in the states.

The UK "class" state is well known but it seems to be micromanaged to the "nth" degree in the UK.....why? It must be ingrained in the English soul, otherwise it makes no sense.

I play a public course. I belong to what is known as the Men's league, I stink too but I have never, ever experienced anything but gracious and patient behaviour and I do not think that is the exception on public courses in the US and Canada.

Trying to learn and improve while playing with boors is damned near impossible.

I'll sponsor your visa application. :D

Sling you have all the good ideas.:)

I shall be going out in the morning to play with the Seniors section again. I just hope that I don't get drawn to play with him again. :(

I shall be going out in the morning to play with the Seniors section again. I just hope that I don't get drawn to play with him again. :(

That could only mean one thing in my book. Considering you are the new guy..... and get paired with him twice in a row?? No one else wants to play with him either.
icon10.gif

And if you do get paired with him again, and he acts up, just wrap your 6i around his head, since the 6 is the easiest to replace. :)

Ah. So that's how it is handled in the US.

And just as I was about to take up Sling's offer. :)

An interesting conclusion.... the guy (The Seniors Captain)....
..... left the club last week, and has joined another club about 35 miles away.

R.

Good! Shame you didn't get the satisfaction of wrapping your 6 iron around his head!

Thankfully we don't have military ranks for our golf club. Giving someone the title of "Captain" almost seems intended to inflate one's ego. And we certainly don't have any special offcers for the different age groups. Like Slingblade, I play in the Men's club on a public course. We have a club Board of Directors to organize and run the club tournaments and events, with a president whose primary function is to preside over the board meetings, not be the god of the golf course. He is elected by the membership for a one year term, then must take at least a year off before he can run again.

I wouldn't hesitate to dispute a point of rules with him if I thought I was in the right. I served for 4 years on the board as the rules chairman, so I'd not have any problem fighting for my rights. :hunter:

Man, I wish I could be a board for rules.

I'd have rules like, "All ladies musteth weareth short skirts if they:

Are under 125 pounds

OR

Under 40(There's some hot old ladies out there).

Any questions is pending my discretion."

Thats lame, he should be setting an example and not act like a jerk.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520