• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

interesting lessons learned...

niblick

Reaction score
I played in a two-man scramble yesterday, with a friend who typically shoots 120. We played on a course with a slope of 127 from the whites - no easy course for sure. Narrow off the tee and comically small greens. We finished with a 82, which I was really happy with. 9 pars, 8 bogeys and a double.

I was really struck by something during the round. He'd ask a question about something (club selection and aim off the tee, what to do with a difficult lie, etc.) and the process of telling him, to the best of my limited ability, what to do really made me think it through. I found this really helped me play better, because it forced me to really analyze the situation and think clearly.

For example, 323 yard dogleg right par 4, water in play off the tee. We talked about club selection - initially I was thinking 3 wood or hybrid. After talking about it and watching him hit it off the world, I opted for a 4 iron which I hit to the middle of the fairway about 120 out. Downhill lie, flag slightly uphill. I hit 9 iron because there was a severe slope in front of the green - short would be dead, and long was no trouble. I hit the 9 fat, and it landed pin high 8 feet left of the pin.

This was a hole that I could have screwed up 6 ways from Sunday. Talking it out with my partner forced me to see the smart shots, play the percentages, and walk off with a ho-hum par. I need to play like this more often I think. Sorry for rambling. :)

Probably why you see Phil the Thrill and Bones talking so much. Bones is trying to make Phil see why hitting a 4 iron out of the jungle, around the tree, and over the lake might not be the best option. :D

Probably why you see Phil the Thrill and Bones talking so much. Bones is trying to make Phil see why hitting a 4 iron out of the jungle, around the tree, and over the lake might not be the best option. :D

Probably true, but Phil always says "yeah Bones, but I can MAKE that shot! I'm going for it!" :laugh:

I sometimes think Phil gets bored with just grinding out a good solid round and likes the challenge of hitting an "impossible" shot, even if it means it will possibly screw up his round. Probably not the smartest thing to do but it sure makes watching Phil play an adventure. :D

I'm a big advocate of being one's own best caddy. I play my best when I'm talking to myself in a postive manner. Jack Nicklaus said there are three big parts of a pre-shot routine:

1. Analyze
2. Visualize
3. Commit and hit

Before it was his turn to play, he would "zone out" - look at the trees, think about the way his body felt - anything to keep his mind close to, but not on the upcoming shot. Then, as he approached the ball, he would analyze the lie, hole layout, wind, distance, temperature, etc., until he had his club selected and was ready to address the ball. Finally, he would turn off the "analyzer" and visualize the shot, committing himself to the moment.

Jack was often criticized for slow play, but he insisted that he needed that time to properly prepare for each shot.

I know that when I play alone, and can talk to myself without distraction, I play much better golf. Playing a recreational game with my friends introduces all sorts of distractions that take me out of my routine and keep me from the "analyze, vizualize, commit" that helps me.

Lately I've been trying to talk out loud before a shot much more. Positive mental images are so important, and sometimes not being negative is not enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520