• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interesting Nicklaus Quote...

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
In this months Golf Digest there is a story about Jack. In it he is quoted as saying:

"If I were to look back on my work, I think I accomplished probably about 70 to 75 percent of what I could have. Maybe 60 percent. Somewhere in that area; two-thirds of what I could have accomplished . If I had been a really dedicated person, and really worked hard, I think I could have accomplished more."

He goes on later in the article to admit that his short game was his major weakness. His thought being that since his short game was bad, as long as he got it within 10-15 feet of the hole he HAD to make the putt. And usually he did. He also said not having a record to chase hurt him.

Interesting, can you imagine if Jack won 30% more than he did, 22-24 majors? Tiger is the greatest golfer I have seen and one of the greatest sports figures in my lifetime (32yrs) I rank him up there with Jordan as far as game changing, and star power. I never saw Jack in his prime, or Bird or Magic. Bird and Magic were on their way out when I started watching the NBA.

I don't know if Tiger will break Jack's record. I find it interesting though that Jack would admit that now though. Just an interesting article and worth the read.

Jack put a lot of time into his family. in his whole career, he was never away from home for longer than two weeks, which considering the era he played in, was quite an effort on his part.

As far as winning more majors, that's hard to say, but there is no doubt that he would have won many more regular tournaments if he had played a fuller schedule for the last half of his career. I respect his decision - he had his priorities right - but just imagine where his total would be if he had played even half again as many events a year throughout the 70's and 80's. For so much of his career he was only playing around a 15 tournament schedule.

To wit, it is 18 major wins, and then 19 2nd place finishes in majors. 19 times he was within a few strokes. If he really thinks that he had more potential possible, it is possible to have won another 33%, or 6 more majors. Conversely, how many of his major wins owe a significant portion to luck? Luck does play a significant role -- it only takes a few good bounces to turn a mediocre round into an excellent round, and only a few bad bounces to turn a mediocre round into an awful round. I don't want to take away from his accomplishments -- he obviously had an incredible amount of skill -- but luck is still a significant factor. For that matter, how many second place finishes were bad luck? With a little better luck, he may have had that total of 24 or 28.

We'll never know will we? His statements are pretty much true for anyone. It makes little difference what he "coulda, woulda, shoulda" done. In the final analysis everyone has to be judged by their actual accomplishments. John Daly comes to mind as I write this.

golf is like a lot of other sports,a golfer from his era would be out of place in todays era,jack and arnold are overrated in terms of pure talent,those major numbers are going to be a cakewalk not only for tiger but a slew of others as well

golf is like a lot of other sports,a golfer from his era would be out of place in todays era,jack and arnold are overrated in terms of pure talent,those major numbers are going to be a cakewalk not only for tiger but a slew of others as well

Are you an idiot or just a troll? People are still learning the game today from the teachings and example of those hacks. Hogan and Watson too. Even from Bobby Jones. If you really had a clue you'd just keep quiet.

Are you an idiot or just a troll? People are still learning the game today from the teachings and example of those hacks. Hogan and Watson too. Even from Bobby Jones. If you really had a clue you'd just keep quiet.

LOL. He's a troll. And an idiot.

Kevin

Imagine what Nicklaus, Hogan, Jones et al could have done with today's equipment and perfectly groomed courses.

beermug - Your post was probably the dumbest I've ever read on any golf forum. Do you play the game or are you one of those 16 y/o brats out on the course just effin' around? Ever hit a persimmon driver with a face the size of my big toe?

Lol, dont be harsh on him, he has a point about the major numbers, 3/4 of the field can win now, perhaps only ever a couple of dozen or so were in these things in the sixties. Back then they had weaker competition, and thats not up for debate. Saying they were overrated in terms of terms of talent was pretty dumb though

Lol, dont be harsh on him, he has a point about the major numbers, 3/4 of the field can win now, perhaps only ever a couple of dozen or so were in these things in the sixties. Back then they had weaker competition, and thats not up for debate. Saying they were overrated in terms of terms of talent was pretty dumb though

look at all his posts, you'll change your mind.

Complete & utter douchebag. WTF is with the excessive and improper use of the comma's?

Looking at some of this asshats posts why is he not banned yet?

Imagine what Nicklaus, Hogan, Jones et al could have done with today's equipment and perfectly groomed courses.

beermug - Your post was probably the dumbest I've ever read on any golf forum. Do you play the game or are you one of those 16 y/o brats out on the course just effin' around? Ever hit a persimmon driver with a face the size of my big toe?

Did you drop an anvil on it? :)
My Power Built persimmon is probably hald the size of my TM Burner.

I was gonna' say it was the size of my left nut but I knew what kind of responses I would get.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520