• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron set recommendations?

dedicatedhacker

Reaction score
Good morning all. Ok I've been playing this insane game for almost a year now, and not doing terrible in my opinion. I'm not subscribing that I'll need the latest and greatest equipment to be better, however I do want something at least newer for my irons. My first set was one of those off the shelf $100 full sets that my neighbor had and gave to me when he was getting divorced. Between my brother losing some of the irons and some of the iron heads literally falling off, I bought a set for $40 that were older than me ( I bought them because I was down to a 9i 8i and 7i ) no wedges just those 3 a putter and driver. Needless to say my game improved dramatically once I had actual irons. However, I am interested in seeing what is out there, doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. My problem is, I know literally nothing about what makes one brand or type any better or worse than the other or why I would want one vs the other. What would you all recommend? because when I get on these OEM sites or others, all I see is huge lists of different irons that makes no sense to me.

On a side note in Mexico last Nov I rented a new set of diablos and played 18 out there. From the first iron I picked up they felt wrong, the head felt way to heavy and just didn't seem to swing right. If that helps at all?

Once you move up into pro quality clubs they are all quality and it really comes down to what fits your eye and feels good. If you go on Ping's site they do a pretty good fitting that'll give you an idea of if you need longer/shorter, upright/flat, bigger or not grips, or if you are pretty close to fitting standard clubs. That coincides with their color chart which you can look up on line. Different manufacturers have different "standards", but I think they are all pretty close. You can also go get fit with a pro or at a golf store like Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, or PGA Superstore. That will also help you get fit to the right shafts by hitting balls with a monitor and finding out your swing speed and spin #'s. If you can spare the money it is highly suggested to get a good fitting with a certified fitter. By certified I mean, for instance, a place will not have the Ping fitting cart with their pro having gone and gotten a training from Ping. Mizuno has some cool fitting stuff out there for shaft fitting too.

For quality, as I said, they are all pretty equal in the pro OEM market. I will say that Pings irons, with the exception of the Ansers because they are forged, are pretty much indestructible. They are still made here in the US and their customer service is excellent. I hear Callaway's service is also great. Mizunos are the best forging, (I think the only one not forged in China with crap steel). Forging is softer and while they feel buttery soft they also get knicked up from bag chatter and eventually will "brown" in the sweet spot. A bigger chunk of sand could leave a gash on the face hitting out of a fairway bunker. Even still, forgings are sweet... I just prefer the cast for durability.

You'll have to do some research on shafts a little bit, but the long and getting fit would really help. The long and short of it is that all the shaft manufacturers have shafts that suit certain swing tendencies and speeds. They have bend points in different spots in the shaft to promote higher or lower ballflight. I don't know where you are at with golf, but this stuff makes more of a difference when you are good enough to hit the ball cleanly at least 90% of the time. If you still chunk or thin it or both quite often you probably wont notice the finer intracacies of shafts. Graphite shafts in drivers and woods on the other hand are very important and again, the fitting will greatly help there.

Super Game improvement are the ones with super thick top lines and tons of offset. Some of these are also hybrid irons (like the Cleveland Hibore irons). Game improvement irons will still have a thicker top line and offset, but for the most part will just be cavity back. Those two categories, all things equal and hitting the ball fairly clean, will be more forgiving/straighter and get the ball up easier. To me, they are all pretty ugly, and contrary to what the companies would have you believe, they are not a cure all. Players cavity backs will have smaller heads with a thinner top line and less offset, but because of the cavity will still be more forgiving than a blade. Blades will have a real thin top line, almost no offset, and are the least forgiving. I personally hate the look of almost every sgi and gi iron. The Cobra Amp irons are actually a decent looking club in that category, at least to me and can be had pretty cheap now brand new.

I personally love Wilson Staff irons. The Di series is not terrible for game improvements. I really like the Pi series or Ci series, I've had the Ci9's and currently own the Pi7's with no plans of changing for a long time. The FG Tours and FG 62's are gorgeous forgings that are a bit out of my league. The Wilsons can be had on Ebay for really good prices. Anyway.... go look at and demo as much as you can, your eye and feel will start the process of elimination for you. If you are semi serious, take a lesson or two and get fitted.

Wall-o-text. lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358189534.103671.jpg

Wow nut it took me a while to read that from my phone haha. I appreciate the input, funny that you kept mentioning ping I've been really tempted to give them a try. My main problem is that being where I am I have to travel probably 2 hours to a bonafide place where I would be able to get fitted if I went that route. I'll give the online fitting a go and see if I can order something online that matches. I'm def going to be making a trip and seeing the products in person first before I make any kind of step in that direction though

Just an idea, but has anyone looked at gigagolf? I know they are clones but for the price and if they actually hold up and play comparably to big name brands.... wouldn't that be the smarter route?

Just an idea, but has anyone looked at gigagolf? I know they are clones but for the price and if they actually hold up and play comparably to big name brands.... wouldn't that be the smarter route?
Million dollar question: do they held up and play just like big brands?

I've done quite a bit of research on them and have yet to find one bad review. With the exception of one or two people that once they got them they basically changed their minds or didn't like how they felt and got a full refund no question asked. Kinda cool for a company to do that

I've done quite a bit of research on them and have yet to find one bad review. With the exception of one or two people that once they got them they basically changed their minds or didn't like how they felt and got a full refund no question asked. Kinda cool for a company to do that
Go for it then.

I think I'm going to check out what the stores have to offer and if I can't find what I'm looking for I'll give these gigas a shot, can't hurt to bad for as inexpensive as they are

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520