• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is this proper golf etiquette?

username n/a

Reaction score
My dad took me golfing the other day. It was my first time on a course. I played terribly, but I had so much fun. Anywho, a few times he would putt on the green and get the ball about an inch or so from the hole. Instead of putting again into the hole he would just pick his ball up, but still take a stroke as if he did hit the ball into the cup. Is this proper golf etiquette?

Technically no it's not correct, all shots should be played out. But do a lot of us pick up those 1-2-3" putts without actually tapping in? I would say hell yes we do.

yes. it speeds up play.

I NEVER pick up, but that's just me. I don't mind if somebody knocks my ball back at me, because, after all, it's only a few inches. But I prefer to hole everything out.

I don't personally, but I wouldn't consider it an "etiquette" issue at all.

I NEVER pick up, but that's just me. I don't mind if somebody knocks my ball back at me, because, after all, it's only a few inches. But I prefer to hole everything out.

I'm with Mike on this one.

I've got a few different groups I play with, one of'em is always a money game, and everything must be holed (we penalize monetarily for snakes..aka 3 putts), in others..ya, if it's just a few inches, someone will always say "thats good".

What wasnt mentioned in the reply's here, is that in match play, your opponent can say it's OK to pick it up.. but he can do so (if he wants) no matter how far your ball is away from the hole.

Me too! I prefer to hole out. It takes about 3 more seconds to tap in and pick up the ball... it ain't gonna have any effect on pace of play. :laugh:

Depends on the group I'm playing with. If a putt is given to me I'll take it... within reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520