• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Joined men's league

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally took the plunge and joined the men's league at the course near my house Valley View Golf Course Score Card

I'm honestly a little nervous, but mostly excited. We have monthly tournaments as well as monthly match play events. Tonight is my first night. It should be good for me. I play alone over 80% of the time easily. I need the practice of playing in events like this to sharpen me mentally since I seem to possess the strength of an overcooked spaghetti noodle at times when I play with others.

Fantastic! I've been wanting to do the same.

I've thought about it on numerous occasions.....just don't have the time after work to play every week.

Cool!

Pro tip: Don't think about it as a competition so much. It's still just golf. Enjoy it.

I've thought about it on numerous occasions.....just don't have the time after work to play every week.

This will be a challenge for me too until the days get longer, then I should be good. I also don't know that I can make every tournament. Five boys in sports takes up a lot of Saturdays, but I'll balance the best I can.

Cool!

Pro tip: Don't think about it as a competition so much. It's still just golf. Enjoy it.

Thank you, I'm going to do my best to think that way. It might be good for me to feel a little competitive edge as well, something I don't normally get to experience.

Just remember - second place is the first loser. :D

Just remember - second place is the first loser. :D
3qep2l.jpg

Well that was an experience. My putting resembled a 12 car pile up, greens had a ton of slope and were somewhere between a 17-17.25. I actually didn't hit the ball poorly, although I was nervous for the first 4 holes. I'm really going to like this. You all don't want to hear about my awful scoring though, so here is the best part.

I walk up to pay and get thrown in with 3 others who have already teed off as I'm standing in the clubhouse. I grab my crap and run out, hit my ball, and go to load my clubs in my partner's (who looks, sounds, and dresses like Judge Elihu Smails from Caddyshack) cart, only to see him walking down the fairway to his ball. However, his friend, Arturo, (from down south) is in the driver's seat of the cart. So I load my clubs and hop in wondering what the hell is going on because I thought we abolished this behavior with Lincoln. We pull up to the Judge's ball and he asks Arturo for a club who promptly hands him one, waits for him to hit and then asks where my ball is. This goes on for three holes until I finally start joking with Arturo, as I speak Spanish just well enough to make an even bigger idiot of myself. By hole 4 it is revealed that Arturo has known the Judge for 30+ years. Wow, that's loyalty I'm thinking. By hole 5 I finally get out of Arturo that the Judge is actually his brother-in-law. Wow again, that takes stones. Finally though by hole 6 I discover Arturo is just here visiting from out of state. Well, needless to say that I felt like an ass for jumping to conclusions...Arturo ended up being my favorite guy in the group. Good times.

Last edited:
Greens running 17? o_O Also, Smails first name is Elihu? o_Oo_O

Anyhow, you'll get used to it. The best thing to do is to be personable and make friends. It'll make future tournaments much easier.

Greens running 17? o_O Also, Smails first name is Elihu? o_Oo_O

Anyhow, you'll get used to it. The best thing to do is to be personable and make friends. It'll make future tournaments much easier.

Obviously not a 17 haha...but that is a number one of the older guys in our group threw out there after his putt ran by 12'. They were steep and quick, but heavens no, not a 17!

I had fun, even though I sucked it up and was nervous at first. I'm already excited for next week though. Its a great course with a lot of elevation change, trees, but not too many, water, but not too much. Tons of wildlife. Pretty typical mountain course. It keeps my attention, especially the greens now. My weaknesses were exposed for sure.

I want to play on a particular league but a few of the guys on that league don't like me. A lot of people don't like me, I don't care. So, I play with anyone who will let me. To those that don't care to play with me, or you don't like me, suck a fart!

I finally took the plunge and joined the men's league at the course near my house Valley View Golf Course Score Card

I'm honestly a little nervous, but mostly excited. We have monthly tournaments as well as monthly match play events. Tonight is my first night. It should be good for me. I play alone over 80% of the time easily. I need the practice of playing in events like this to sharpen me mentally since I seem to possess the strength of an overcooked spaghetti noodle at times when I play with others.

Good for you! I look back fondly of my time competing in Men's Night and other member's events. Having moved on in career direction, not being around the course has been the biggest change!

If I had the time to, joining a golf league would be one of the first things I'd do no doubt!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520