• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just emailed my Congressman...

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
For the first time in my life, all 31 yrs of it (bday yesterday), I got fired up enough about an issue to actually email my Congressman. I won't say what the issue is since I don't want to get into politics here, but I got exactly what I expected from my well thought out and very respectful email. A canned response, probably has them saved on a desktop of a staffer and they just change the name. Oh well, I vented and let him know my feelings not that it does any good but still....

I gave thought to emailing my senators as well, but am gonna hold off for now. I know I will get the same thing so it's kinda' frustrating. I know they can't answer all corresondence but I would almost rather have no response than a canned response...thanks for letting me vent some more!

:usflag:

For it's worth, I think a typed snail mail still holds more weight than an email. I know when I wrote one of my state's US Senators asking for a waiver (which I didn't get) I did get a personalized response.

Which was probably written by a staffer. :D

Jim, Congressional offices are getting thousands of inquiries a week. They do consider your thoughts though.

Which was probably written by a staffer. :D

What's wrong with a staffer? Some of the staffers for your Congresspeople have education and experience that would garner them wages far beyond what they are making in that office, but do it for other reasons.

Good for you Jim, it all counts.

What's wrong with a staffer? Some of the staffers for your Congresspeople have education and experience that would garner them wages far beyond what they are making in that office, but do it for other reasons.

Because the Senator signed it, and if he signed it, he shoulda wrote it.

I spend a lot of time e-mailing and visiting w/our local elected officials. Have been involved on the fringes of municipal politics for almost 40 years. Some elected officials listen... some don't. I really think you will get more to listen on the local level than you will on the national level.

Had a couple experiences w/our U.S. Representitives. None of those experiences were good!!! The most recent was an issue that got me worked up during our son's return from Iraq. Sent an e-mail to our Rep and got no reply. Sent a second e-mail one weeks later and still got no reply. Called her local office. A staffer promised he would dig up the e-mails and call me back. Another week passed and no call. I called the staffer back and asked some "pointed" questions. He would not provided any answers to those questions or the original issue. Gave canned answers. "She and her fellow Congressmen are working on that." "There's no funding available right now, but when there is..." (Dolt!!! My question had nothing to do with anything that would require funding!!!)

Spent hard earned money and quite a bit of time working to get her 'unelected', last November, just due to the lack of responsiveness. Don't suppose the new one is any better, but at least is still "new". The get to your state capitol or to D.C. and become much more attached to lobbyists and fellow politicians and much more detached from the constituents. Doesn't matter which party affiliation... seems they all lose touch with those who elected them until a few months before the next election.

• Staff
I spend a lot of time e-mailing and visiting w/our local elected officials. Have been involved on the fringes of municipal politics for almost 40 years. Some elected officials listen... some don't. I really think you will get more to listen on the local level than you will on the national level.

Had a couple experiences w/our U.S. Representitives. None of those experiences were good!!! The most recent was an issue that got me worked up during our son's return from Iraq. Sent an e-mail to our Rep and got no reply. Sent a second e-mail one weeks later and still got no reply. Called her local office. A staffer promised he would dig up the e-mails and call me back. Another week passed and no call. I called the staffer back and asked some "pointed" questions. He would not provided any answers to those questions or the original issue. Gave canned answers. "She and her fellow Congressmen are working on that." "There's no funding available right now, but when there is..." (Dolt!!! My question had nothing to do with anything that would require funding!!!)

Spent hard earned money and quite a bit of time working to get her 'unelected', last November, just due to the lack of responsiveness. Don't suppose the new one is any better, but at least is still "new". The get to your state capitol or to D.C. and become much more attached to lobbyists and fellow politicians and much more detached from the constituents. Doesn't matter which party affiliation... seems they all lose touch with those who elected them until a few months before the next election.

This is kinda how I feel at this point in my life. I am so disenfranchised from National Politics in general. I shouldn't say this but I didn't vote in the last election. I honestly felt that no matter who I voted for it wasn't going to matter. You can give me all the "every vote counts" stuff you want, but really the truth is every vote counts but the voices that are listened to are the ones tossing big $$$ towards the person's campaign "war chest."

I have the distinct feeling that had I gone to one of the $1000/per plate fund raisers or just written a check big enough I would have gotten a better response and it saddens me to no end. I know money makes the world go around but at some point that has to stop and the people who can't afford to dump huge amounts of money into a campaign coffer need to be listened to.

I have over the last year or so given thought to getting into local politics and maybe later on in life see where that goes, but I don't know if I want to jump into that hornet's nest. It's hard enough making ends meet as it is.

Anyway, thanks all for letting me vent a little.

PS- Jeff, great canned response! Do you work for a congressman
icon10.gif
Just yankin' your chain a little. I know there are plenty of well meaning people at all levels!

With your feelings Jim the best thing you can do is contact some local agencies and stuff that are lobbying for campaign finance reform to make it publicly financed.

With your feelings Jim the best thing you can do is contact some local agencies and stuff that are lobbying for campaign finance reform to make it publicly financed.

Yeah, you're probably right.

There is really no way to break 'The Machine'.. The canned responses are the norm. The problem is, I think that no politician should feel comfortable in their own job. I think the fear of being jobless needs to be struck back into these people who vow to represent and serve the people.

There is really no way to break 'The Machine'.. The canned responses are the norm. The problem is, I think that no politician should feel comfortable in their own job. I think the fear of being jobless needs to be struck back into these people who vow to represent and serve the people.

And if enough people thought like you did, then this would be the standard. Sadly, it may not be. Welcome to a democratic republic.

Agreed. I think that politicians today think that once they are in, they are in. They need to wake up everyday, and remember that tomorrow COULD be the last day for their service.

If my boss was unhappy with my performance, I'd be gone. If we are unhappy with our representation, then we need to change it. Sadly, most just like the comfort of complacency and just like to complain.

Yeah, but you're blaming the politicians. Incumbents almost always win, is that the politician's fault or the public's?

I for one applaud you for your effort on this! :thumbs up:

adding to the conversation a bit, there was an issue that i was made aware of and to "contact your representative". this certain site made it very easy to do so. form letter pre-written, directory lookup of representatives, and a free over the net fax service.

the website was this - The Time For Action Is NOW please remove mods if i violated TOS - i only post it as its relative to people here - plug and play your own issue.

on the site it also says the following that if true i am amazed at :

Its essential for the success of this campaign that you fax your Congressman. Emails are deleted, and snail mail is shredded BUT faxes MUST be saved for a minimum of seven years which means someone has to read, record and file your fax. This creates a greater gravity to your message! It has worked for other important campaigns similar to this one. Why change what already works. Just follow these steps and use the links provided on this page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520

3. 15,301