• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Launch monitor at the range?

Don

Reaction score
Have you ever used a launch monitor to find out your ball speed and launch angle? And how much would you be willing to pay to be able to do this at the driving range, where you could see the ball flight at the same time? Would you take advantage of having a launch monitor at the range if one was available? Thanks for your replys in advance.

I have used a number. It is a great idea. I would use it on occassion once every couple weeks, although probably wouldn't pay more than maybe a few dollars simply because I can access them at Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy for free. I would however pay slightly more for range balls in general. Maybe even a dollar more a bucket, even when not using the monitor, simply knowing that a range takes the time to invest in equipment and customers to that degree. Gives you the idea you will benefit in the future for the added cost.

Actually, based on the range I am forced to use, I would pay more if I knew the balls on the range would not damage my clubs.

If came down to extensive use, I would be more apt to spend $150 on my own Swing speed monitor, and simply eye the launch angle.

Thanks for your reply. One of the things I am hoping to do, is have a launch monitor set up at the driving range so a customer could not only see the ball flight, but have all the data he and I need to find out what driver or ball works best for him or her. And what shaft might work best, or what loft. You get the picture. I also want to be able to set up the monitor for hitting into a net, so different balls could be tested without having to go find them again after the shot. I'm so disgusted with hitting balls on one of those stupid golf simulators, never get the same information twice. I've seen a distance difference of over 50 yards with two swings with the same ball speed and launch angle. They are a lot of fun to play with, but not much good for fining out any real facts. I'm hoping having a launch monitor at the range and hitting into a net would be a good investment for me, and a good deal for customers wanting more from their game.

I agree, I really do not care for the simulators and much prefer the monitors. The simulators I have played on seem to be a lousy judge for spin and shape, where the launch monitor is not as "fun", is actually probably prefered by people who take the game serious.

Those simulators are nothing more than a video game. I play a draw or hook most every shot, and EVERY TIME those simulators pick up my shot shape as a slice, or slight fade.

So I click the thing to aim 3 to the left, and I'm deep down the middle every time. I think I shot 66 at Pebble Beach the last time I played. From the tips. Yeah, that'll happen. :) You can't learn a thing from those simulators IMO.

I too would pay to "rent" a launch monitor for a couple bucks at a range a few times a month. If it was like $5 or less, and then just leave your driver's liscense or something while you use it.

It'd be neat to make a change on the range and see if the ball is coming out faster AND the actual direction it ends up going. Swinging into a net, I just end up trying to kill it and get my swing speed to 125. On an actual range, I think I'd be forced to make "real" swings as I wouldn't really like to see snapper after snapper just trying to see the faster ball speed.

The cost is too prohibitive at this time for me to buy one, but yeah, I would rent one from time to time.

Thanks Augster: I was think more of setting up a launch monitor and having the golfer use it with my help figureing out the data, not letting someone check out a $5,000 monitor and laptop computer and then have them break the thing. That's what happens all the time at Golfsmith. Some idiot hit the monitor with a driver a few weeks ago, and destroyed the $4,200 Vector monitor. As for a price, I was think more like $40 an hour, or $25 for a half hour. I don't think that's too much to have the use of a $5,000 setup. Something most of us can't afford to buy on our own. There is no way I could afford you have guys use the monitor for much less than that. I would have to be at the range the whole time, and if I can't make enough money to cover my time and the cost of the monitor and laptop, it's not worth it. I'm looking to offer a service to the golfers, and make money at the same time. Like any good business. What do you think?

Not sure of your credentials and the rates for your area. If you are a teaching pro, that price would be a steal. If it is for interpretation of the the monitor, you may (or may not) run into competition. I have seen numerous instructors that use a monitor as part of the lesson. The rates in my current area, as well as the area I used to live run around $30-40 for 1/2 hour and $50-80 per hour. So if you are a teaching pro, $40 an hour would be a steal if you can offer tips on how to correct certain issues you see on the monitor. If you are not, you may run into competition where as you would be competing with someone who can. If I looked into spending that kind of money, I would then be willing to spend the $40 for the 1/2 if it became part of a lesson, although, for me it would be more like 1-5 times a year. Whereas, I know others that take lessons once a week.

As a matter of interpretation and fitting and if memory serves me this is your field, I think you are in the price range. Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith charge relatively the same to get fitted on a monitor. If there are none in your area, it may do well. If there are, then that would be your competition. Personally, as far as the competition, I would side with the independant with the same equipment any day, although I am not sure if I am the exception or the majority. As far as using it for this purpose, I would probably only pay that money when buying equipment, or taking a lesson.

We do that and it works great. We charge $35 foe a session and give you that much off if you purchase clubs from us.
Make sure you gat a unit like the pure launch that uses doppler radar instead of the camera. It wors much better and the sun has no effect on it.
We use one in the shop and have time set up for 2-4 days in advance in the peak season.

Thanks for your reply Obagain. How long is this $35 session? 1/2 hour, an hour? Did you try a Vector outdoors and have problems, or is that what others have told you? Be interested in knowing if it was your experience and not others talking. YOU I KNOW, sort of at least. some other guys opinions aren't worth as much to me. Again, Thanks for the post, and have a Merry Christmas everyone. Later, Don

We had a vector for about a year and had all kinds of problems with the camera.
We switched to the zelocity doppler radar system and have had no problems at all with it.
Most sessions are 1/2 hour but we normally keep trying until we get solid results.

Obagain: Thanks again for your input. Will have to look into a pure launch monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520