• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Left arm straight, but how straight?

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
So, i played golf on my high school golf team. I played an old set of first flight blades that were TINY and actually used woods made out of...yes wood. I was a good iron player, woods however were a disaster. Back then my only swing thought was "left are straight, eye on the ball." Over the years I started reading golf books and articles in GD/GM and of course put on a few pounds. My swing became an outside in, over the top mess.

In the last 3 months my wife and I have been conscious of our health moreso than in the past (having a child will do that I guess). I have lost approx 30lbs in that time. I find it easier and more comfortable to address the ball and get through the ball but am still fighting the old habits. I watch pros on TV (good or bad for my game I don't know) and other good players and they all seem to keep their left arm (for a righty) pretty straight.

My question is this, and it may be impossible to answer, how tight or firm should my left arm feel? I remember from my HS days that I wasn't going to let that arm break for anything, to the point that I almost locked my elbow- I don't think that's right though. Can anybody explain their thought process as to the left arm in the backswing?

i know this may be tough to do but any thoughts would be great!!!

I don't think about it much but left arm connected to left pec. The torso turns, the left arm stays connected. The distance between the left and right arm remains constant and the right arm folds. I guess straight enough that the butt of the club is facing the ground/tagetline.

I highly doubt "locked" and tense is good, seeing as all i ever hear is "fluid" and "relaxed". I know I too have been working on a straighter left arm, i find if i imagine that on my takeaway that someone is pulling my club away from me, it helps me start out with my left arm straighter, then i just try to maintain that feeling on up. I cannot no matter how i try get my left arm completely straight, dunno if my joint doesnt do it, or if the muscles, tendons, etc dont, but i simply cant. However in my mind i feel like its staight, and its often when i hit my best shots, lol.

Fluid and relaxed gets my vote. The straight thought is a reminder to keep the backswing WIDE with a good weight shift. Not picking up the club head too soon.

Fluid and relaxed gets my vote. The straight thought is a reminder to keep the backswing WIDE with a good weight shift. Not picking up the club head too soon.

Bingo.

YOU should not be keeping the left arm straight.

The left arm should be kept straight by a wide, smooth swing.

Any instructor I have seen says this is not important. I am guessing that you are simply thinking too much about this. Actually I have likely heard more say it is a disadvantage to have it to straight, or almost hyperextending your arm. Have heard this is common with many women golfers which will rob them of power.

You are simply wanting to create a larger diameter or arc in your swing, and if it means loosing power in doing so you are likely defeating the benefit. This of course assuming you are making clean contact with the ball. Were if you wrap you left arm around your neck, chances are good you are losing control of the club. If it is comfortable to have a slight bend and you are relaxed, chances are you will benefit from that slight bend in your arm.

I was always taught to try to keep the left arm as straight as possible, but that a little bit of a bend is OK.
You want to feel that your left shoulder is under your chin on your backswing.
Keeping your left arm straight creates more power and makes your swing more consistent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520