• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Left the driver at home and my worst fears were confirmed.

eric89074

Reaction score
I decided to finally play a round without my driver and use a 3 wood off the tee and after that round I probably won't be using my driver any time soon. Even mishit tee shots that would have sliced into rough we're finding the fairway and giving me makeable second shots. I shot an 83 today and would have broken 80 for the first time if not for a few mishit irons and blown puts. I love the occasional huge shots I'd get with the driver but I'm glad I finally swallowed my pride and left it home.

Nice shootin...:idhitit:

Any crap that anyone gives you about being too soft to hit a driver will be rubbed out by your sub 80 round over their 87. Keep that thought in your mind as your hittin from 10-20 back in the fairway compared to them in the trees.

Hope you break the 80's soon...:cool:

Do you go out to shoot low or hit your driver? The two aren't always congruent.

Arg. Why do people take the driver out of their bag? Hell, I'm less accurate with my 3 wood. Take that out too, eh? And the 5, since it's basically a 3 with more loft?

I toe the 3 iron too, take that out. I catch that 4 a little thin, shank the 5, top the 6... Guess they all gotta go. :hunter:

Seriously, man. Sure, there's times to play it smart and tee off with a 3 iron, or something. But other than that, keep the driver in the bag. Better long and in the trees rather than short and in the trees.

I played for almost 20 years without a driver in the bag. I hit a PowerBilt Citation 2 wood (basically a 13° strong 3W with a little bigger head). When I was a junior golfer I played a 3W off the tee and hit it well enough that I outdrove most of the adults I played with hitting drivers.

I've only played with a driver for the last two years since my swingspeed has decreased and the driver technology has helped me get the distance back while being a lot easier to hit (straight!).

I hit the Citation 2W about 230 yds. dead straight virtually every time. I had my 'cap index as low as 3.3 and for a period of about 10-12 years it always stayed in the 7-8 range. Lots of mid 70's to 80-ish scores with the occasional low 70's. Not blasting the ball off the tee doesn't mean you can't score well -- especially if you are not accurate with a driver.

I played for about 15 years with the same clubs in my bag and was very consistent. Never a long hitter but knew what most every shot was going to do.

We don't have self control. With the driver in the bag, we use it, even when we know we should not.

Therefore, leave the driver at home until you break 90.

Arg. Why do people take the driver out of their bag? Hell, I'm less accurate with my 3 wood. Take that out too, eh? And the 5, since it's basically a 3 with more loft?

I toe the 3 iron too, take that out. I catch that 4 a little thin, shank the 5, top the 6... Guess they all gotta go. :hunter:

EASSSSYYYY there Tin Cup.

EASSSSYYYY there Tin Cup.

You know, I should try that some day - play with just a 7 iron and a putter. I'd bet I'd still shoot under 50 for 9 holes, since that 7 iron is my "go to" club when I'm in trouble, or in bad lies (or in trees).

Tin Cup has nothing on me, though. I've put half a dozen balls in the water trying to carry 200 yards to a green surrounded by traps. (Missing in a trap isn't the problem...so I'm not afraid to go for it and hit the sand, but the water isn't something you can hit out of everyday.) I get a hell of a lot of practice with my 3 wood, though. It kind of goes this way:

3 wood trying to drive home in two on a 520-ish par 5 18th hole. Splash.

"Give me another ball." Splash.

You get the idea. :( When that happens, I report in my score "after 17 holes". Or it's an ESC 8.

You know, I should try that some day - play with just a 7 iron and a putter. I'd bet I'd still shoot under 50 for 9 holes, since that 7 iron is my "go to" club when I'm in trouble, or in bad lies (or in trees).

Nice visor. Do you have a link?

I;m not crazy accurate with my driver either but i fugre you have to learn to hit every club in the bag. You shouldn't be afraid to use any club you have.

I've had good results as well with no driver. The plain truth is it must be used to score your best. Once you play a longer course with forced carry's to the FW and over water/bunkers to the green, the benefit of driver and 9iron in vs. 6 iron will become very clear.

I think the key is too develop one "consistant" ballflight with the driver. For me that is the fade. Once I can hit a 5-10 yd. fade every single time I know I can put driver in play every time.

Woods aren't my strength at the best of times, but when the driver swing goes completely off i'll take all the woods out and hit 1-iron off every tee. Grooves the swing back into shape and I don't think i've ever shot worse than high 70's doing it.
Completely disagree with your post lamebums, why persist with something thats not working? And his original post said that his 3 wood was finding fairways where his driver wouldn't. Better to be 20 short in the fairway than 20 long in the trees.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520