• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Life of your Clubs..

BrandNew

Reaction score
Just got my first brand new set, last was old piece of garbage hand me down..

Just wondering what the life of a set of clubs is if I'm playing regularly. Say every other weekend.

My set is so new im scared to take a 1G+ investment and start whackin balls with them!!

They will most likely last until you feel a newer or different set will benefit your game. My dad has been playing the same set for over 30years. I just got him to switch from a persimmon driver 2yrs. ago. :)

Ive had my irons 10 years.....there still as good as new to work with!

driver technology/fashion seems to change much quicker than irons. i can't imagine ever wanting another set of irons but I can't help but want whatever the newest driver is.

EnglishGolfer said:
driver technology/fashion seems to change much quicker than irons. i can't imagine ever wanting another set of irons but I can't help but want whatever the newest driver is.

Agree completely , I've had 2 sets of irons in 15 years and 6 drivers in the last 4.
I think the level at which you play dictates the changes in irons, from starter to o/size perimeter weighted, game improvement, forged/muscle backs & blades. Tho in saying that my buddy in the space of 6 weeks went back from Wilson Pi5 to Callaway X18, as he wasn't comfortable playing game improvement irons and liked the comfort and feel of the X18's - an expensive business on his part as he lost £200 on a trade in for clubs barely 6 weeks old.

I think therein lies the reason people don't change irons as frequently as drivers putters etc

Dave Ireland said:
I've had ... 6 drivers in the last 4 (years).

...and he carrys them all around in his bag...
you gotta watch this guy
LOL!
Dave's Bag.jpg

IrishGolfer said:
...and he carrys them all around in his bag...
you gotta watch this guy
LOL!

BA*Tard !!!! ...... you want me to start reposting pics of you and yer pork sword waggling ? ...

Dave Ireland said:
BA*Tard !!!! ...... you want me to start reposting pics of you and yer pork sword waggling ? ...

Maybe we should adopt a Green Mile agreement ("What goes on on the Mile, says on the Mile!"), eh? Funny though!

I'm in a Ho dilemma at the moment. Thinking about the Ping G2, ever hit it? I was kncoking the bayjaysus out of it a while back. Very easy to hit. How's that Cleveland of yours treating you? Still happy with it? That's my other option, although the 2 smacks I had of yours didn't really enthuse me.

IrishGolfer said:
Maybe we should adopt a Green Mile agreement ("What goes on on the Mile, says on the Mile!"), eh? Funny though!

I'm in a Ho dilemma at the moment. Thinking about the Ping G2, ever hit it? I was kncoking the bayjaysus out of it a while back. Very easy to hit. How's that Cleveland of yours treating you? Still happy with it? That's my other option, although the 2 smacks I had of yours didn't really enthuse me.

Yeah the 460 Comp, is treating me reasonably well at the moment. I've decided to persevere with it. I'm trialing at the moment for 2 teams - Metropolitan & Jimmy Bruen, and with the non-conforming 580XD which I don't think I can use in inter-club compys, it's kinda forcing me to persist with the 460 Comp.

Strange that you should remark on the 460 not enthusing you, I loaned it to a 3 h/c in the club and he also was lukewarm about it. This may reside in the stock shaft rather than the club itself, tho i think players of both your and his ability have a greater feel/understanding of the club's responsiveness. He had previously played with a tour preferred R7, but has since returned to our other old reliable 983K - which he absolutely swears by. Again I think that playing at your level, you don't need the comfort of a 460cc head to expolit the driver's dynamics.

I had a swish of a G2 last saturday week, albeit into a driving net, the guy ho'ed it with a Harrison S shaft - to my uneducated hands it felt a little more whippy than I'm used to.

So I'd imagine that your dilemna, not only lies with the driver, but the shaft it's plugged into ... I'm gonna head up to the launch monitor in Drogheda soon, to get a better understanding of my swing and possible shaft replacement in the 460.

BrandNew said:
Just got my first brand new set, last was old piece of garbage hand me down..

Just wondering what the life of a set of clubs is if I'm playing regularly. Say every other weekend.

My set is so new im scared to take a 1G+ investment and start whackin balls with them!!

They will last a lot longer than your next desire for something new. Go hit the daylights out of them, it will give them character.

My Irons are 20 years old

And I have no plans of changing them any time soon, wedges on the other hand.:smilie_cl

Cast clubs using 431 Steel should last forever unless they are abused. Forged clubs and softer castings are more prone to damage or "wearing out" if you consistantly hit the ball in the same spot and that is usually not too much of a problem unless your a touring pro and have a Hogan type practice routine of hitting several hundred balls a day.

Even if you clubs start to wear out, you can get them regrooved, rechromed, refinished, and repainted which basically returns them into like new condition.

That being said, most folks will change their irons way before they wear out as either there game has changed and requires a new set of irons or the next "greatest club on earth" has been released and they are itching to get into them.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520