• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lorena's Left Arm; Vardon's secret?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Reaction score
I was reading through Golf Digest two days ago (whatever issue Lorena graces the cover on) and decided to study her swing sequence a bit.

Firstly, it's worth noting that Lorena Ochoa uses a 7.5* driver. What the **** is that about? Does that not spit in the face of all proper fitting guidelines? I don't thinks he's swinging at 140mph, and it doesn't appear she has a wildly high ascending angle of attack. Maybe she's onto something, here?

The real curious thing about Lorena's swing, other than her fruity head tilt, is that she has some significant bend in her left arm at the top.

I'm going to quote some information from a book I read, "The Physics of Golf," which I felt was actually too much physics and too little golf to be enjoyed by the non-physicist golf addict... The following is on the Vardon swing (Harry Vardon), in which the left arm is bent at the top of the swing, contrary to popular swing mechanics:

FYI: This is worth reading.

The Three Rod Model

The model representing the Vardon swing would be a three-rod model; the golfer's arms would be considered as two rods with the club being the third. The technical aspects of the three-rod model are too involved to be presented here.

After setting up three different equations and writing a suitable computer program for solving them, preliminary calculations showed that the Vardon swing did indeed give greater clubhead speed at impact with the ball.

At this stage in my study, I had no idea how the lower part of the arm in my model should be managed during the downswing. If in my calculations I allowed a torgue to act on the lower arm, a torque similar to the one that acts on the club in the latter part of the downswing, the clubhead would swing in above the ball. However, I knew that a bent left arm straightened early in the swing produced a lower clubhead velocity.

Some Practical Experience

We can only guess what Harry Vardon did with his left arm during the downswing. We know from geometry that he needed an almost straight left arm when the ball was hit; an arm seriously bent at impact would at least top the ball and perhaps miss the ball altogether. While we know that no action of the wrists is needed to uncock the wrists in the downswing, calculations show that the centrifugal torque in the rotating system on the lower arm is not adequate to straighten the arm by the time of impact.

Calculations Show That Vardon Had Something

Of the many possible ways Vardon could have straightened his left arm in the downswing, I chose to try the one in which the angle of bending, the angle between the extensions of the upper arm and lower arm, decreased to zero with a constant negative angular acceleration... [Rock, if you got your wife to read this much to you already, this means he straightened his arm with ever increasing speed from the top of the swing.] These calculations showed that the clubhead velocity at impact became much greater as the elbow was bent through larger and larger angles at the top of the backswing. If at the top of the backswing the elbow was bent through the possible angle of 100 degrees, the clubhead velocity at impact was about 50% greater than that for the same swing with no such bending.

We must not assume that the swing just described is the ultimate Harry Vardon swing. A calculation in which the constant angular acceleration of the angle of bending of the left arm was delayed 1/20 of a second into the downswing gave a clubhead speed 60% greater than the standard swing.

His Swing Is A Success

Without knowing exactly what Vardon had done, and without much practice, I began to use my approximation to the Vardon swing and found that I was able to increase the length of my drives, losing little if any directional precision. This increased length was noticed by one of my weekend golfing colleagues. He asked me what I was doing, whether I was into "monkey glands or something."

So at this point... Maybe Lorena, too, is onto something? Is this the secret to the 126 pound girl driving the ball 290 yards?​

Lorena has a very high angle of attack for what its worth. He launch angle on one LPGA telecast with a trackman had her at 13*, with the shaft accounting for 2*, that would leave her angle of attack at 3.5*

what the....???

By angle of attack do you mean her attack angle into the ball being high and heading downward, or heading on a high upwward angle before impact?

I believe in the upward attack angle, as i used to have the downward strike, but i definiely generated a lot of slices.

i really believe the real power is generated by the torque created by turning agianst your hips. i try to turn back to a comfortable spot on the backswing, and turn from the torso and not worry about my arms, and the subconciensly follow suit. As i get tired, though, this use of the big muscles makes me tire quickly; and i 've found that i can't use the same motion on any other club which is fustrating (as i seek to find the one consistent motion in the golf swing that can be applied to all clubs - but have yet to find it.)

A.

The attack angle is upward into the ball. A downward strike would be a negative angle.

Torque against the hips, yes, obviously...

The real wowsa here is adding a third lever. You have your arms rotating around your spine, and your wrists pivoting, normally. That's 2 levers. Bending your arm creates a third lever and potentially allows for a massive increase in power. Think of the damage you get just by using a longer whip. More segments, more snap.

bending the arms?

I'm confused, so the idea to generate more power, is to bend the arms at the top? I don't know if I could even convince myself to do that... could I?

I haven't seen my swing on tape all that much, but I think I keep a pretty strait forearm out of comfort.

Wouldn't that bend collapse the integrity of the space between the the hand extension and the shoulders, thus weaking the down swing and thrust throught the ball and actually have an adverse affect on club head speed all the way around?

A.

Your shoulder/bicep would remain the same distance, and the "distance between your hands and head" would grow again once you began the swing and straightened your arm. The space would be minimal at the top, but the 3 lever system definitely creates more power when used effectively.

However, with my flexibility, I also find it strange to bend the left arm. I can get so much turn that there's no room to bend my left arm.

Re: Vardon's Secret.
You may be interested in visiting my web page vardon.awardspace.us/drmike'sgolfpage.htm where I advocate the use of the Vardon swing.
There is also a link to a recent paper of mine in the International Jounal of Sports Science and Engineering which I believe proves the superiority of the Vardon swing over the more usual "straight arm" type. My findings are totally in agreement with the statements made by the late Professor Jorgensen.
P.S. If you don't like the Math. at least read the conclusions !

I saw a segment on the GC about her bending her left arm and tried it. It definitely works. I immediately heard the difference in a louder whoosh of the clubhead, and saw the results in longer drives. It feels odd at 1st after all those years of being told to keep it straight. I do lose some accuracy if I'm not careful though.

although Ochoa is one of the bigger hitters on the LPGA, her average distance is 270 yds, not 290. i can't find her average carry distance though, but i'm guessing with that 7.5 loft, there's a lot of rolling going on.

Vardon's secret? All his contemporaries sucked at golf. As to adding another lever, it seems to make sense. Plus, imagine how much more speed you'd add by eliminating the tension you get from forcing your arm to stay straight. My left arm is almost always bent at the top. My teacher says as long as it straightens before impact, he doesn't care.

Vardon's secret? All his contemporaries sucked at golf. As to adding another lever, it seems to make sense. Plus, imagine how much more speed you'd add by eliminating the tension you get from forcing your arm to stay straight. My left arm is almost always bent at the top. My teacher says as long as it straightens before impact, he doesn't care.

I agree wholeheartedly with your pro's assessment. Also; we've gotta do something about these ancient threads...

When you look at little kids swinging many of them have that three lever swing, intuitively they know that the ball will go further and when your 4'5" you need all the extra distance you can squeeze out of that club.

I'm confused, so the idea to generate more power, is to bend the arms at the top?

No, what gave you that idea? She bands her arm at the top because its a natural and comfortable thing for her to do, I doubt its in anyway connected to a deliberate thought

I'm confused, so the idea to generate more power, is to bend the arms at the top?

No, what gave you that idea? She bands her arm at the top because its a natural and comfortable thing for her to do, I doubt its in anyway connected to a deliberate thought

What's the difference whether she began to do it by accident or intentionally? Surely somewhere down the line she realized that it's uncommon practice to bend the left arm. Most likely she experimented with the flat left arm and found it to be much weaker for her.

Kudos for arguing a totally irrelevant point. It is your forte. The concept is bending, or allowing the bending of, the left arm at the top of the swing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520