• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mizuno MP Raw Black Ox 56º Wedge

8* of bounce doesn't sound like enough to have an issue with the mat. My 54-12 doesn't like the mat, but my 50-06 and 58-08 don't have any problems.

I really like my 50* MP but not enough to replace my Vokeys.

It all depends on your angle of attack. Some guys come at it with a "V" stroke, others are sweepers. If you can't pick the ball off the mat, you're done.

R35

It all depends on your angle of attack. Some guys come at it with a "V" stroke, others are sweepers. If you can't pick the ball off the mat, you're done.

R35

Forgive this question as I'm still doing a bit of learning...

The sweeping swing will have more issues with higher bounce on the mat, correct?

I'm still contemplating how you can spray a SW all over the Dome. Sounds like a problem with the Indian. :D

Sorry. I would offer to take it off your hands, but I think I will be opting for the model with 13* of bounce if I get one.

I am still tossing around lofts as well. I am starting to wonder if I may not want to go with something in the range of a 50* (or 51*) and 54* to go along with my 60* and to replace my 52* and 56*. Seems like an interesting arrangement since I primarily use my 56* out of the greenside sand for the 12* bounce and would like something with a little more Umph. I will be playing a couple rounds this weekend, and maybe concentrate on how this would help and hurt around the course.

I'm still contemplating how you can spray a SW all over the Dome. Sounds like a problem with the Indian. :D

FKA Pa Jayhawk

Yeah, I'm wondering too. I don't do it with my Ping PW. This club weighs about twice as much and the weight is throwing me off for sure. I didn't try it with my "chipping stroke" yet. :D

Forgive this question as I'm still doing a bit of learning...

The sweeping swing will have more issues with higher bounce on the mat, correct?

Well, yes and no.

With a higher bounce, the club will hit the ground steeper and bounce more, leaving you with a smaller area to catch the ball crisply. With a more sweeping swing, you have a better chance at catching the ball more often, but not as crisply, less spin.

Basically, you want to find a wedge swing that is a happy medium. One that gives you the most spin, and at the same time the most consistent. Match that with a wedge that plays into your more common playing conditions (softer = more bouce, harder = less bounce, as a general rule).

A happy medium is 8* (I personally think), where you can open it up in sand, or play it normally from the fairway. This is also where custom wedge grinds come into play, where heel relief and leading edge can have an effect on your shot type as well.

The wedge might be the easiest club in the bag to hit, but it's by far the hardest to master. With the amount of options available, it's not like finding a driver shaft, slapping any of the new heads on it and hitting it 270 down the pipe.

To me, the 60* wedge is the hardest club in the bag to master. If you aren't shooting single digits handicaps, I truly believe that you shouldn't be carrying anything more than 56* in your bag, and many, many pros will agree with this sentiment.

Learn to master one wedge before grabbing 2 more. Why be the shits with 3 when you can be half assed with one?

R35

I rarely use a 60* I mostly use my PW or 54* around the greens i use it mostly for greenside bunkers when i am close to the lip and the pin is fairly close to the bunker. Not really much use for me since I like to roll the ball to the hole.

I agree, there is not point for anyone to play a 60* at any course I've ever played. I can open my 52* wedge up and stop it a foot short when I have 3 feet to work with. If I wanted to hit 30yd. full swing shots that stayed in the air for 6 minutes and spun off the green from 10feet on... I prefer to just play a skip-stop or drop it in with high fade when I want to carry it close. I don't even want to hear about flop shots. I flopped it over a 10-12 foot tree in my dad's backyard off a bare lie with a 52* wedge from less than 10ft. from the base. Just open it wide up and take a nice long out to in swing, accelerate through it, I'd hit myself in the chin with a 60*.
icon10.gif

I carry three wedges but I can't remember the last time I hit the high bounce 54.

I originally bought the high bounce 56 (now bent to 54) and used it like mad. A couple of local courses have rock hard traps though so when an opportunity came up to get a 58-08 cheap, I took it. I started practicing a lot with the 58 and it has now replaced the 56/54 higher bounce wedge in just about every situation. So, while I carry three wedges, I only play two.

I carry three wedges but I can't remember the last time I hit the high bounce 54.

I originally bought the high bounce 56 (now bent to 54) and used it like mad. A couple of local courses have rock hard traps though so when an opportunity came up to get a 58-08 cheap, I took it. I started practicing a lot with the 58 and it has now replaced the 56/54 higher bounce wedge in just about every situation. So, while I carry three wedges, I only play two.

Take one out, and get a hybrid or a 7 wood. Might as well use the spot for something worthwhile.

Interesting, although understandable, I always use my 54* (bent to 53*) for almost every chip. It's whatever your most comfortable with.

R35

Take one out, and get a hybrid or a 7 wood. Might as well use the spot for something worthwhile.

I used to carry 13* and 16.5* V-Steels with the 19* and 23* Mds. A few months ago I split the difference on the woods with a std lofted 3W (15*). I've kicked around the idea of dropping the third wedge and putting the strong 3 and 4 woods back in the bag but I'm lovin' this new Bridgestone too much.

I changed my mind. I decided with the condition of the sand in this area that 8* of bounce would not likely hurt me as I have been using my LW for the 8* bounce alot lately out of the sand. I had a $50 gift certificate for my pro shop and they just so happened to have a 56* Raw Black Ox in stock in the pro shop. So I demoed it to check out the feel and distance, and it is now sitting in front of me. After the Gift Certificate it only cost me $50, which it was either that or a golf shirt. Unfortunately they didn't have any Midsized grips, so I am not sure if I will use it tomorrow or not. I may have to wait.
:D

Purty looking club, I thing I even like it better than the looks of the Gunmetal.

Jayhawk,

Not to burst your bubble, or even point out the obvious perhaps, but that club will rust. But it looks great even when it's rusty.

R35

Jayhawk,

Not to burst your bubble, or even point out the obvious perhaps, but that club will rust. But it looks great even when it's rusty.

R35
:D
I'm sure I'll grow accustomed to it as time goes by. I actually asked about that when I was down there and He mentioned that. Actually after peeling off the label on the bottom shiny part, you can see a slight difference from just sitting in the Pro Shop. I can also see the difference in color just from striking the ball. That will be kind of nice in a sense, that I will be able to see where I am striking the ball. They also had the haze, which you can see the coloration. I didn't like the Haze as well.

So I doubt I leave it unused to preserve the finish. I guess the funny part is that I retired my old SW immediately after an Ace. I decided I wouldn't feel right leaving it in the bag through the weekend, so the Raw Black Ox is now in my bag making friends with the other clubs. I think I may put my Ping SW down in the basement with the Hole in One case for memories. :)

edit 1 - Hopefully all my Ping's don't begin to protest. Unlike WBL, I hit my PW like crap so if it has a problem with the Ox it will be the next to go

Here's a pic. The club on the top is the Raw Ox -new. The middle is a well rusted Raw Ox, and the bottom is a BlkNi (Black Nickel).

I personally like the rusty the best.

R35
P1010850-sm.jpg

Here's a pic. The club on the top is the Raw Ox -new. The middle is a well rusted Raw Ox, and the bottom is a BlkNi (Black Nickel).

I personally like the rusty the best.

R35
Thanks. Nothing like a little rust to make you look like a "Real" Golfer.

I can't wait.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427