• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some advice on a new driver

LBrower134

Reaction score
So I am looking to get myself a new driver, and was interested in the Taylormade Burner line. I am a bit of a beginner in golf, having only played about a year and a half. I was wondering if there was much of a difference between the 2009 burner and the 2007 burner driver. Also, if there is another driver out there that you think would be a good one to try, I'm open to suggestions.

I figure I should also add that I have been trying to fix my slicing problem I have had while driving, if that makes a difference on driver choice.

Without seeing your swing, and only knowing you are fighting a slice, I'd suggest a Callaway Ft-i with a draw bias. Stupid easy to hit and can be found for cheap now-a-days.

You might want to invest in some lessons to cure that slice. The FT-I suggested before is an awesome driver, but if you wan to keep in the TaylorMade line, I would suggest to try the 07 Burner. It goes for $150 new and around $70 used which is quite a good investment. The 09 Burner in my opinion had nothing to introduce new to the "old" 07 Burner model, and aesthetically is it much more correct and less "conned".

You might want to invest in some lessons to cure that slice. The FT-I suggested before is an awesome driver, but if you wan to keep in the TaylorMade line, I would suggest to try the 07 Burner. It goes for $150 new and around $70 used which is quite a good investment. The 09 Burner in my opinion had nothing to introduce new to the "old" 07 Burner model, and aesthetically is it much more correct and less "conned".

Definitely take some lessons. A power fade is one thing, You can work with that, but if you are slicing it that badly, no driver is going to cure that.

Nothing more needs to be written, excellent post.

What in the world? There you guys go making sense.
Seriously, spend the extra cash on lessons, then look for a new driver later. You may actually find that your current driver will work for you once you get your swing fixed. Ther is nto a driver out there that will fix a slice, despite what the manufacturer's claim.

another vote for the ft-i. i played one for the last 3 years and JUST replaced it with a Nickent 4DX. the ft-i is CRAZY forgiving and its a fairway finding machine

You might want to invest in some lessons to cure that slice.

I just want to expand on this a little. If you want to put some time and work into the game and learn how to play it well, then you definately need to stay away from draw biased clubs. All they will do is reward you for a swing that is incorrect, and ingrain poor swing habits. If, on the other hand, you only plan on playing a few times a year with friends, and are just looking to have a good time, then, the draw biased clubs can help dampen out a serious swing flaw. Rarely will it actually fix a serious swing flaw, but maybe at least reign it in some. It really depends on what kind of player you are, and want to be someday.

And, there is very little difference between '07 and '09 driver technology. Every driver made the last 5 or 6 years has been limited by a maximum springiness the face can have and still be conforming for play. What this means is that every driver, if hit on the sweet spot, will allow the ball to leave at the maximum speed your swing speed can generate. Now, different drivers launch the ball at different angles and spin rates, and those can be important, but raw speed was maxed out several years back. The important thing is that you have to hit the driver on the sweet spot. And, now we're back to the lessons to learn how to do that consitently and correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520