• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New equipment next season

William Tipton

Reaction score
I was wondering about new equipment, not this season because I just want to keep getting better this summer, but next year possibly stepping up to actual name brand equipment.
I cant spend a ton because I buy the season pass here for the city courses and its costly enough, but was thinking either used stuff or maybe there is some 'low end' name brand I could afford that would still be a good buy.

What Im thinking is a set with a higher loft driver, 3 wood, 3 and 4 hybrid, 5-pw in irons and then the SW and possibly a lob wedge, although I may just keep the 60 degree LW I have now because I really love it.

Do any of the name brand companies have a complete 'beginners' set that is affordable new?

I have taken a bit to Callaway. The sound of the woods seems to be very distinct over the other clubs Ive borrowed and hit and I do better with them overall, so if they made a set I think Id prefer that brand.
The other thing is the shafts. I dont like graphite in any of my clubs, I like the feel of the steel shaft much more. But Im betting this will be a problem with shelf model woods and drivers, is that the case?

Thanks a ton for any help.

Some people are going to knock this option, less on this forum but in other sites they will. But I'm gaming a full set of clone irons (not cheap knock offs) from diamond tour golf. I picked the heads, shafts and grips of my choice for the entire set and it was still less than $200. Pretty awesome for the quality, and now my buddies are looking into them because how great they game.

And for what its worth they have every type of club, not just irons. I've debated ordering a driver from there, or trying my hand at club ho'ing with being able to set up my own equipment

Some people are going to knock this option, less on this forum but in other sites they will. But I'm gaming a full set of clone irons (not cheap knock offs) from diamond tour golf. I picked the heads, shafts and grips of my choice for the entire set and it was still less than $200. Pretty awesome for the quality, and now my buddies are looking into them because how great they game.
Did they make some of the Ping Eye 2 clones?
I think Ive seen some of the Eye clones with that stamp on it.
I had a set of Ping Eye 2's but didnt know enough about the grip thing at that point so I just sold them in frustration. I have a set of clones that I like right now that I can hit pretty well.
Im definitely not against clones.

If you look around enough or try hard enough you can get real good used stuff for cheap. Or you can go with something like DTG, Hireko, or Valuegolf and as was previously mentioned you get to pick shafts, grips, etc... Depending what you pick it can stay real cheap or get a little more expensive that way. I patiently stalk stuff on ebay. Ebay can be a golfers best bud.

I picked up a set of Cleveland CG2's 2-GW at Golfshiths for $98.00.

Wow. I saw ONE wedge for that much over at Dicks.
We go up to golfsmith every so often. I may keep an eye out for something like that. Ive heard a lot of great reviews about Cleveland clubs. Ive only ever hit a 4 hybrid, I think it was, but definitely felt really good.

Those are SWEET clubs. Some of the nicest Cleveland ever made. The ball felt so good coming off the face...

Just went over to PLay it Again and they had a set of green dot Ping Eye 2's 2-LW for $200. Very tempted to buy them.
They didnt have serial numbers like my previous set, though.

I've seen them for less. I'd hold out a little.

This set they had was recently regripped and with midsized grips that would be much better than the standard. It'll cost enough to regrip the clubs as Id save buying them cheaper.
I just dont know if I can talk myself into buying anything since I recently regripped all of my clubs and havent gotten a whole lot of play with them yet.
The wife is eyeballing me as we speak :-D

This set they had was recently regripped and with midsized grips that would be much better than the standard. It'll cost enough to regrip the clubs as Id save buying them cheaper.
I just dont know if I can talk myself into buying anything since I recently regripped all of my clubs and havent gotten a whole lot of play with them yet.
The wife is eyeballing me as we speak :-D

Tell her to make you a sammich.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35