• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Etiquette

jskd82

Ball Sprayer
Reaction score
Our golf course here closes at 5pm so after that anyone can walk on and play for free until the sun goes down.....anyways I went there and started playing on the 10th hole which is a par 3.....as I was finishing my putting on the 10th, a younger guy and two girls come walking from the road and walk straight to the 11th hole, cutting in front of me. So I was pissed but I let them go.....he was hitting from the red tee's and hit his first shot straight into a ditch about 60 yards in front on the tee....I got even more pissed as I waited for him. At the 14th hole I just started hitting even though they were in range of being hit by me because he was letting the girls hit and by the way they were hitting I knew they have never played before......he looked as if he had only swung the club a little himself....but anyways I hit my ball as they were walking on the right side of the fairway and my ball went past them......as they walk past the area where my ball landed, I see one of the girls bend down and it looked like she picked up something, so as I go there to look for my ball I couldn't find it......I think she picked it up and took it..... it was a new Nike Black One ball that I just bought to try out...... I am not a good player myself but I do respect other players on the course... even if the course is closed and anyone can play. I just hate when idiots like this ruin a game. Btw I was testing out my new Nike Ignite irons that I just bought but because of this douche bag I only got to play 4 holes.

If they were total beginners, and it sounds as if they were, then they would simply not know the etiquette. And of course, they came onto the golf course when they thought it might be less busy.

I appreciate that under the circumstances you were already wound up, and of course (as we all do) you were in your own world, but a possible alternative might have been to stop and chat with them and offer them some on-the-spot lessons, and by the way, did you find my black ball? I know that it would have meant scrapping your game, but you were doing that anyway. Just a thought.
OK... I'm also human. I'd have been pi$$ed too:hunter:

R.

It doesn't sound like they're idiots but rather just ignorant. I don't think you can blame them for not knowing proper etiquette if they are completely unaware of said etiquette.

As for the picking up of the ball, you are certainly justified to be upset as those balls are $5 a pop, however, they're still human beings and that $5 ball can do some damage so it would have been best to avoid that situation all together by not hitting into them. This is you blatantly showing the lack of etiquette that you're ranting about in this thread.

Now, this all goes out the window if you had try to approach these folks and they blew you off. I can only imagine how much machismo a guy with two girls by his side would retort with...

If I were you I would have jumped past them at the first opportunity. You can't expect too much when you are playing for free, it is the ideal time for people that you are speaking of to get on the course and experience more than the driving range. I think that the picking up of your ball was deserved, you should never hit a ball when you know there is a chance that you can reach someone in front of you. This is a breach of etiquette far worse than slow play and trying to learn how to play the game at a time when the course is less crowded.

It sounds like they didn't know what they were doing and didn't know golf etiquette. The right thing for you to have done would have been to ask them if you could play through. I am sure they wouldn't have had a problem with that. I agree that you hitting into them is worse than their slow play.

How are beginners supposed to learn how to behave if you just sit back and stew about it, then hit into them (thereby teaching them the WRONG thing to do), and never try to help them with their education. If you make an attempt and they reject your advice, then you have the right to be pissed, but to just remain angry without trying to resolve the problem doesn't help you or them. :(

I just have a hard time having any sympathy for someone trying to complain about golf etiquette when you say you intentionally hit into someone and past them knowing they were in your range. What exactly would you classify that under if not etiquitte? Revenge?

Sorry, I think you should be happy you only lost a golf ball and not your life, home or freedom. Personally you appear to think they didn't know any better. What exactly is your excuse????

I guess I could at least see your point if you told them you were playing through if they are going to do what they did, so they may want to move aside. Or if they had turned to watch you hit, but just assuming it will put a scare into them (just assuming you won't hit them) and hope they learn from it you seemed convinced they have no clue leads me to believe you are the one that does not belong on a golf course. Tell them or tell the ranger or pro shop first, but that act was just irresponsible.

If they didn't wave you on to hit and you hit past them on a hole they were walking up... It may not have been a mistake they picked the ball up.

When I go play after the leagues sometimes it's fairly backed up. I just start back over on a hole I've already played. I can usually get in 11 or 12 holes instead of sitting around on every tee and barely finishing 9.

Well after cooling down and reading your opinions, I now see that I did do wrong and today I seen the guy at the course again except without the two girls so I approached him and apologized about yesterday and i let him know that he should not cut in front of people who are playing and to start behind them when there is an opening.....his reaction wasn't so pleasent, he just kinda nodded his head and shrugged at me but whatever. Thanks for your comments to help me realize that I was in the wrong also.

Better of you to accept it, my man. I've had a very similar issue happen to me, and I wanted nothing more than to just stroll up to the lot of them and set them ablaze. That's what "settling it on the course" really means :)

I need one of these on my golf cart. Anybody skips ahead of me, I'll do a real "drive-by"

The Blaster was a 1998 invention by South African inventor Charl Fourie to provide a deterrent to carjackings. With a rising crime rate, carjackings became a serious concern in South Africa. The Blaster was a car modification that functioned as a liquified petroleum gas flamethrower; when a carjacking occurred, the driver could step on an additional pedal next to accelerator and flames would erupt from outer sides of both front doors, "neutralizing" the assailant. The inventor claims it is unlikely to kill but would "definitely blind" the assailant. In South Africa, it is legal to use lethal force in self-defense if in fear of ones life, and ownership of flamethrowers is unrestricted.
Blaster-flamethrower.jpg

Well after cooling down and reading your opinions, I now see that I did do wrong and today I seen the guy at the course again except without the two girls so I approached him and apologized about yesterday and i let him know that he should not cut in front of people who are playing and to start behind them when there is an opening.....his reaction wasn't so pleasent, he just kinda nodded his head and shrugged at me but whatever. Thanks for your comments to help me realize that I was in the wrong also.
You did the right thing IMO. At least now you know you are just dealing with a *!@# or someone that just doesn't have a clue. On the flip side, he may have been so stunned that he may not have had anything to say in his defense, so you may likely have saved future groups or yourself from having to deal with the same situation.

As it seems apparent that this guy now frequents or intends to frequent the course, if you see it happen again it may be worth your while to mention it in the clubhouse about them just hoping on where ever they please (namely in front of you). If he is a frequent player and they have the same nonchalant approach, it may be worth looking for a different course or at least during those times, as it likely seems like they are the ones setting themselves up for this by offering free walk-on golf. Nice gesture on their part, but probably adds to the frenzy. Maybe one of those cases where nothing comes without some kind of expense.

They had radio promo's around here the last few years at certain courses. Great gesture, cheap golf in being able to play an otherwise expensive courses for dirt cheap every Tuesday. Although the common 6 hour rounds and lack of etiquette in some cases where the price I would pay. Kinda fell away from doing it after the first year when I realized you could play reasonable cheap on most any course on a Tuesday and have the course to yourself.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520