• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

On the range last night and ...SHANKING!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hitting some nice 6 irons last night on the range. Not been playing much recently. Then outta nowhere 4 pure shanks in a row, right off the hosel. All came to rest within 10 yards of eachother. I fell into a immediate panic. WTF!!??

All of a sudden my game falls apart for 20 mins. BAck to basics. Grip, stance, posture, full turn, head still, weight on balls of feet, !!!! I got back to hitting some nice shots again, but then every 10-12th ball, PING!!!

Now I am addressing the ball with a shank in the back of my mind. Any ideas?

This always helps me when I start having the shanks. Of course if my shanks would allow me to hit Johnny Miller I would just go with it.

Try not to let this go to your head. Shanking shots is the same as hitting the ball off the toe (just worse results), poor contact. Just work on hitting the ball solid. I was having the same problem about a year ago. I started hitting balls twice a day everyday for awhile. All I focused on was crisp contact, I didn't care where the ball went. Also, I spent a lot of time hitting half shots with long irons, like 100 yard 5 irons. You don't want any shank thoughts in your head on the course or you might over compensate by hitting everything off the toe trying to stay away from the hosel, hahaha that's what I was doing. The only remedy is range time...if you hit enough balls, you'll forget last night ever happened.

Thanks, I know you are right. Issue for me though was the fact I was stripping most of my other (non-shank) shots. I guess I must be moving my weight during the swing. I'm trying to balance on the balls of my feet and keep my head very still. Hope so....

As for Tin Cup link, thanks, helps bring focus on it with a smile. I'll try the change in my pocket thing.

I guess I must be moving my weight during the swing. I'm trying to balance on the balls of my feet and keep my head very still.

You very well could be. What has helped me, is staying on top of the ball(and this applies to every club in the bag). When I make too big of a backswing, my head and weight shift away from the ball. I feel like I can generate more power that way, but solid contact becomes more of a crap shoot. I have become a lot more consistent since I have made my swing more compact and centered over the ball. I was also getting the club off plane and my wrists in a closed position with my long backswing. Since I have started making a conscious effort to keep everything tight and compact my consistancy has improved and I haven't really lost any distance at all. At first it was really hard to keep a smooth tempo with a shorter backswing, but I've learned to almost pause at the top and let gravity drop the club into postion coming down. Which is easier said than done. Im still in the process of working on my tempo and a balanced finish. But if a guy wants to improve, it's going to require some sweat and sore hands.

Hitting some nice 6 irons last night on the range. Not been playing much recently. Then outta nowhere 4 pure shanks in a row, right off the hosel. All came to rest within 10 yards of eachother. I fell into a immediate panic. WTF!!??

All of a sudden my game falls apart for 20 mins. BAck to basics. Grip, stance, posture, full turn, head still, weight on balls of feet, !!!! I got back to hitting some nice shots again, but then every 10-12th ball, PING!!!

Now I am addressing the ball with a shank in the back of my mind. Any ideas?

Dude, this was the exact reason that I freaked and sold the Ping s59's (which I never should've done). It was an extended thing for me though. Lasted a while, like a few range sessions and a couple rounds. It just demoralized me. It's harder to get out of your head than a bad break up with your first love.

Almost all of my range sessions are just what you describe, shank-sessions.

You have it pinned though, because for me it is a weight issue. I really have to focus on keeping my butt farther behind me. Otherwise it creeps more toward your toes, so the same swings you just made, are further away from you thus bringing the hosel into the ball.

This happens especially further into the bucket. Just a little bit of fatigue and you stand up a little taller bringing your butt closer to the ball. That and loss of focus after the drudgery of hitting 30-40 shots complete with practice swings etc.

Keep your butt a couple inches outside your heels and focus on it when the hosel rockets start.

Good luck!

I've been having problems with shanks too. With me it is my timing (rythm?) is all off usually because I swing faster then normal coming down. I tell myself to ease off and swing easy and all is okay.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520