• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Other Abnormal Golf Techniques

indacup

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In follow up to the thread about my unusual (but effective) putting stroke, I was thinking of other people who've adopted unusual techniques in their game...from necessity or experiment...and I thought of a couple.

1) There's a guy at our sister course who used to practice hitting his irons with one hand....he did it to learn feel and tempo...and about five years ago, he started hitting ALL his wedge shots with one hand.

We had to cut the shaft down to about 32" and change the lie about 4* upright...but the guy is downright deadly with that swing.

2) We have a lady who in her backswing with her woods, literally looks behind her in her backswing...she does a complete shoulder rotation, and her head moves WITH her shoulders....

More often than not she hits the ball a mile...but when she misses, boy, it's a doozy

I have seen some weird things as well. There is a guy at my club who is a solid 2 or 3 cap and he hits every shot crosshanded. It looks painful to watch, I always think his wrists are going to break, lol. Like the lady you mentioned, I have a buddy who looks behind him on his backswing but somehow finds his way back to ball well enough to shoot low 80's. The old addage -it's not how, but how many comes to mind.

There was a guy at my old club in Pittsburgh that had the funniest swing ever. He took the club back as normal and everything went find through impact, but right after he would sort of jump turn so that both of his feet were shoulder width apart facing the target, and he was following the ball through the window formed by his arms which were now almost directly over his head. It was funny enough watching this as a caddy, but one day I got the treat of a lifetime when I watched him make that swing, but instead of his arms continuing over his head they came back at about chest height and he cracked himself over the head with the shaft of his driver. I almost wet my pants from holding in my laughter.

One of my dad's good friends has a swing that has to be seen to be believed. It looks like he screws himself into the ground. He is so off balance when it is over that he stumbles sideways like one of those people in a race that had their head on the end of a baseball bat and spun around then tried to run to first base.

Abnormal swings...just go to a driving range that isn't on a golf course....i have watched able bodied people swing clubs in ways that blow my mind. Some of them have to be dislocating joints...

A good friend of mine does a baseball step when he really tries to hammer one....he actually almost always makes better contact with the step than without it

I played behind a 4-some of old guys the other week. 3 of them swung almost like Barkley. Everyone had this hitch in their swing, they would move the feet around, bring the club way outside, go down really loopy and get inside, and then STOP! Hold it, look at their target and then the ball and then POW!

They weren't terrible with their short irons.. But I think they were using long irons. :) Real short hitters. They used drivers for 192 yard par 3, with a forced water carry around the 125 yard area. They were short and right. I'm not a long hitter at all, and I was hitting a knocked down 5 iron due to the little elevation change and the back pin on the 3rd tier.

I also saw one of them putt, one handed. He would hold almost just below the grip, and kinda lock the top of the grip on his forearm and wrist, and was really bent over. It was almost like the putter became an extension of his arm in line. He would then square up, and put his left hand on his knee and kinda squat. He would putt-putt around the green like that, and seemed rather solid.

There was a guy at my old club in Pittsburgh that had the funniest swing ever. He took the club back as normal and everything went find through impact, but right after he would sort of jump turn so that both of his feet were shoulder width apart facing the target, and he was following the ball through the window formed by his arms which were now almost directly over his head. It was funny enough watching this as a caddy, but one day I got the treat of a lifetime when I watched him make that swing, but instead of his arms continuing over his head they came back at about chest height and he cracked himself over the head with the shaft of his driver. I almost wet my pants from holding in my laughter.....

That's soooo funny:laugh: ... a friend of mine set's up kind of OK and then sort of steps into the ball and really gives it such a lash and literally screws himself into the ground... he looks like he's taking a run up. Whilst he hits the ball a mile - the funny thing is he has absolutely zero control. Hit's his wedge over 150 yards - mostly half thinned as well... he's also wild as well as long - so most shots are followed byu him shouting "Nnnooooo - don't go there..."

A guy at my club bends over when putting. As in he grips onto the shaft about 6 inches above the head and putts like that. Funniest thing when I first saw it. He's not any better than most peple because of it but when he tries to putt conventionally is when you really start laughing!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520