• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Planning on getting some new irons, need some help

Go visit your local Golfsmith. From the website, there looks to be several stores in the bay area that you should be able to find one fairly close to your location. Golfsmiths typically have a large rack of used clubs for sale including many of the models suggested in this thread. Go hit them all and see what works for you. Then go to PGA value guide and eBay to see what the market price is so that you can either negotiate a deal for the set at Golfsmith or find a set on eBay.

Most Golfsmiths will do a club fitting for you for free so that you will get a good idea what you will need for specs or need to adjust on your current/future set.

Tim speaks truth.

I didn't know that Golfsmith does free fittings or you can negotiate deals on used clubs with them. Thats something good to know cause there's a golfsmith about 10 mins from my work place. I'll go check them out sometime this week.

Thanks for the good info.

I didn't know that Golfsmith does free fittings or you can negotiate deals on used clubs with them. Thats something good to know cause there's a golfsmith about 10 mins from my work place. I'll go check them out sometime this week.

Good luck. Let us know what happens. I'm not sure about Golfsmith, but it's a pretty safe bet that you can knock 40% of the price to find what they paid for the irons. So if they list them at $300, they paid $180. I'd start at 15% and offer them $210. You probably won't walk for less than $270 if it's a more desirable set. But if it's something that doesn't sell well, and they want to move it? You might get a good set for $230.

Sounds good, i'll check out the used club selection sometime this week if im not too busy at work. I also didn't know that i could grab the used clubs there and test them out.

I'll keep you guys up to date with my findings.

Generally, almost every place you buy clubs will do the fitting for free. Although usually order the clubs to your specifications. So the "Last years model" that is on sale for a couple hundred bucks will usually not apply. Although this is not to say you cannot buy the "Last years model" and pay a little to have a qualified pro fit and bend them to your specifications. Make sure you check to see that they can be bent easily enough. Most Forged clubs are not an issue, many cast can be bent up to 2* depending on the person doing the work.

I actually pay less for clubs through a fitting, because they only order what I need. For me I don't need a 3 or 4 iron. So I am only buying 6 clubs instead of 8, and the price per club is usually the same if not cheaper depending on where you order them. I got fitted at my local pro shop on one set and saved about $300.

If i were to just do a fitting session with a pro on my current irons, how much would that cost (service fee only)? Would this be a better alternative? I will go check out the clubs at golfsmith tho, never know, might find something good there in the used rack.

Thanks,

If i were to just do a fitting session with a pro on my current irons, how much would that cost (service fee only)? Would this be a better alternative?
Presented with your options, and budget. That is what I would likely do in an effort to best benefit my game. A decent pro would likely do it for a reasonable price. Probably $35-60 dollars. This based what I have seen between Golf Galaxy's standard fee when not buying clubs, to top notch pro's that indicated they would do it for $50-60, but then apply that to the cost of clubs if I buy through them. Now they may charge more to have them bent to those specs. You could then later pick up clubs at a later time, and use those specs. I have even seen register Mizuno dealers on places like eBay that will match your specs and get you clubs fairly cheap.

I personally think you would be much happier knowing your performance is based on you and not a lack of properly fit clubs. While I am not a big Taylormade fan and love my Mizunos, you have a pretty decent set of clubs. You may decide they are the right club if fit to your game.

edit 1 - I live in the Northeast, in PA. So this may likely be cheaper other places.

For the money you are talking the CER 851UM head by Maltby suits your handicap and the look you want at address.... thin topline, little offset and tons of forgiveness. A good clubfitter would do you up with the right fit and you'd have exactly what you want.

That being said among OEM's the Bridgestone GC Midsize can be had for that price and fits the bill of look and forgiveness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520