• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

played saturday, in the rain...

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Reaction score
miserable!....we had a group of six playing. three, two man teams....light mist on the front nine, then it quit for awhile. then on 16 it went to pouring! We left, I was wet and cold. And was getting my butt kicked too......I played like crap because I wanted to go home but didnt want to let all my buddies down. Too many pretty days to be out there when its raining and cold.

I worked Sat 8-noon, went home, grabbed my sticks, and drove to Pointe South. I had checked the weather radar and all the storms were well to the north of us.

Got there about 1:30 and was able to go straight to the 1st tee. $22 for 18 holes walking, not a bad deal. It was my 1st time playing this course, but they have been running ads on local TV and it looked good. Short, though, only 6460 yards from the blues, so I teed it up there.

The greens are flat. Like pancakes. After playing Forest Hills for a couple of years, the putts were easy. The courses' only protection are the trees lining the fairways and the doglegs. I was +1 after 9 holes and had a career round going. :)

Made the turn and pulled my 1st tee shot into the woods. But I made a par, and kept going. By the time I got to #11 the sky was getting dark and the wind was coming up. The storm hit about the time I got to #12 and I was now playing into a 30 mph wind, but I was still only 2 over par! I hit a knockdown 7 iron 140 yards into a par 4 green, caught the edge, and 2 putted for par. Hell no, I ain't quitting.

About that time the wind blew my scorecard away. :( Never did find the damn thing and I had to keep score in my head for the rest of the round.

The wind and rain were now like the Open when Tom Watson was winning, so I picked up a couple of bogeys. Then I came to a blind downhill par 5. Ugh. With no idea where to hit, I picked the wrong spot. Another bogey. Now 5 over with 4 to play. Next hole is another par 5. Unusual to have 2 back to back. A good wedge to a blind green gives me a 15' downhill slider birdie putt. I made it, and there is absolutely nobody around to see it. :( So now I'm back to 4 over.

My best ever round is a 77, and that was on a par 70 course. I need to par in.

Make par on #16. Now I hear thunder. And there is a flash of lightning. Since I'm walking anyway, I decide to play on in.

As I am walking to my tee shot on #17, a marshall rides up and tell me to go in. I tell him I am on a career round. He says that he has to ride around the rest of the course anyway, so finish if I want. My approach goes wide right, I make a nice pitch with a 60° over a bunker to 6 feet, but miss the putt. :( Now 5 over.

Last hole is a 200 par 3, playing downwind and R to L. I hit a 3 hybrid and the wind takes it left. A little chip with a 60° leaves me with a 10 footer......... in da hole!!

My career best: a 77 on a par 72, 6460 yard, CR 70.9, SL 119 course in windy, rainy conditions.

I would have played there again yesterday, but it was too darn cold.

One of the best games I've played was in a downpour. Must have made the clubface slippery so I hit everything straight and the wet greens held nicely. :D But I hate playing in the rain. :(

Word up SDVM dude! Well played and thanks for not wimping out due to some minor thunder and lightening distraction. You would have lost all my respect if you had waddled off with one hole to go. And congrats on holding your nerve when it mattered. Feels good, no?

The Tour School beckons...

Way to go Siberian, and remember, if the lightening gets to close, just use a 1 iron. We all know what Lee Trevino said about 1 irons! :laugh:

Well done Doc, you must have dropped 20 strokes over the last couple of years. Not too shabby.:thumbs up:

Thats a shame about your round DaGris, days like that happen buddy. Great job Siberian on your career round!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520