• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting drill to share

ezra76

Reaction score
I've been doing a putting drill that's been working really well, figured I'd share. You just go up to a wall or doorjamb and rest your head against it. Make a pendulum stroke and your head stays still. Pretty simple but very effective. I've been draining everything inside 5ft. and longer putts are more online.

Just don't let anyone see you doing it right? :emot-ange

Better yet... if they DO see you doing it... start saying "red rum! red rum! red rum!" under your breath ;)

I could care less what it looks like. I just did a dozen into a 32oz. cup with shaft down as alingment. After that I drained 3 dozen in a row from 3ft. back to 15ft. in my living room. I'll do it one more time before I head out to the course to play with twofast. It's been a really good way to warm up my putting since there is no practice green open. Last round I dropped a 10footer dead downhill for birdie on the 1st hole. Without the drill and warming up I'd have been shaky over that putt, nothing but confidence over it since I was ready. I know I can hit a straight putt, all I gotta do is judge the break and speed after that.

I personally like to do this drill. Start with a 3 footer. Until you make 10 in a row you don't move back. Then one you do you go to a 6 footer. If you can make 10 in a row then go to a 9 footer. I have only had time to get to the 9 footer never past.

I did a variation of Phil Mickelson's putting drills, I start with a circle of balls around a hole at ~3ft, if I can make it all the way around I move the circle to 6ft, then 9ft. As soon as you miss one you start all over again. The goal is to make all the putts out to 12 ft. The other putting drill that I do when I am having trouble with consistency is to place two tees in the green just wider than my putter face. Then you put a ball in the middle, or lined up with your sweetspot, and hit putts making contact between the two tees. More often than not this will straighten out the problems I have been having.

I used this drill when I started playing and still use it on occasion if I feel I am swaying from my pendulum swing. Although have found that the putting matt on the Boomerang also provides similar visual feedback because it is so narrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520