• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quadrenial indulgence in abuse, masochism, and humiliation.

In prep, yesterday I played my home course from the 6750 yard blue tees, instead of my normal 6250 yard white tees. Missed a bunch of fairways and greens, which won't be good when the rough is 3" Bermuda. Still shot my normal 83.

Got to get more accuate with the driver.

This weather this year has the bentgrass stressed to the max.

But lord help me what its' done to the burmuda. Luckily my fairways are zoysia... The rough is US Open quality around here.

Easily 4 inches or more... You really have to watch for your tee shot if it goes out the short stuff. Good thing is.. if you roll in the fairway, and it's not moving too fast, the rough is so high, it acts like a bumper to keep you in the fairway muddled up next to the rough.

i played from the tips yesterday, first time. my confidence...is shattered! hahaha!

I've never played Forest Hills from the blacks: 7150 and change. May have to try it sometime just for a laugh. It probably wouldn't hurt my score much, as I can't hit most of the blue par 4 greens in two, anyway. Supposedly there is another 300 yards out there after the blacks, that would get the course to over 7400 yards, but I don't know where the tees might be for that. In the trees, somewhere, I guess.

I took to the tips the other week. Kinda lack-luster really. Only 7000 and some odd yards from the tips, and could lengthen out I guess if I played the back tee from the back edge.

Only really made a difference on the par 3's to me. Had a long 180+ shot over a lake, and a 225 flat as hell par 3 on the front. Pretty tough shots for me, especially the 220+ yarder.

The par 5's aren't set up for me to go in them at 2 anyways. All but one, so I normally play 3 shots to my par 5's anyways. Not gutsy enough to go into all the trouble they have.

If anything I found it easier from the tips. Took out several bunkers and hazards from me, and I didn't feel like I had to swing harder to get more distance because I felt it wasn't even worthwhile to nut one and risk the shitty shot. I was hitting maybe the same club, or at most 2 clubs more into some holes, which ain't a problem. I'm just as comfortable hitting an 8 where I was a PW, or a 6 when I would hit a 7.. Hitting a 4 iron from 205 into a bunkered green just sucks anyway you draw it up. I just expect to miss.

Ended up around the same place sometimes from where I normally play the yellows, just infront of the blacks.

Yeah, I pretty much found it the same: hitting from the blues takes out the fairway bunkers. :) Trying to hit a 150-200 yard shot from the sand is prety much impossible for me, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I couldn't help myself: I took a day off from work, drove to Canton (traffic around Atlanta is a nightmare), and played a practice round.

This is a nice course, but tough. I played from the next to longest tees, the gold, at a little over 6700 yards. 72.6/138. Lots of holes where there is OB, deep woods, houses, and now a couple of Hogan Tour Deep golf balls.

Also several holes where driver off the tee might not be the best play, so I marked those layup points on my GPS. Now if I can just hit near them.

Fairways and rough are Bermuda. Right now the rough is only about 1", but I imagine the GSGA will try to get it as deep as possible by next weekend. The greens are bentgrass, G2, and while they have a lot of pitchmarks, they are fast. I putted very long on most holes. :(

There are lakes on a couple of holes, but don't come into play much except on the island green hole, #17. I played it from 175 yards, into the wind. Hit what I thought was a perfect 3 hybrid, but never found the ball. WTF? That's all I need, evaporating golf balls.

After 3 weeks of near perfect weather, the prediction is thunderstorms for the weekend of the "tunamint". FRICK!!!!! My Saturday teetime is 1320, my Sunday teetime will be "the dewsweeper special".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?