• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Racine Dick's is a joke

(we don't work on commission)

i haven't been in a Dick's store ever since the head pro told me that i was wrong and the the MP-67's were cavity backs not MP-60's. Then he told me he could fit me for some irons HAHAHA funny guy. :)

(we don't work on commission)

Sorry. With those guys making a huge issue out of telling the check-out people to give them a copy reciept I figured it wads for commission reasons...

Maybe the guy I dealt with was lazy more than anything else. Would you have taken my money and ordered me a brand new putter, or was this guy being truthfull that he couldn't? It was a new release TaylorMade.

the duplicate receipt is a Loss-Prevention thing. we have to do club counts three times a day, each sale needs to be backed up by a duplicate receipt.

I'm in no way saying that all DSG golf guys are great, cuz I've had my share of bad one's too, and know one's that work at my store that are full of it as well, just know there are some good guys out there.

The thing with any of the larger stores is that they rely heavily on part time employees, these are kids that are in school or retired folks that are just looking to pick up some pocket change for the most part. Many of them face high turn over rates so investing a great deal of money on training these people does not always yield a high return since many of these people don't stick around all that long. You will usually be able to find one or two people in each of these establishments that knows what they are talking about as they have a vested interest in the game itself, or have career aspirations in that particular company.

The wealth of information on the internet in forms like these or through watching a PGA Tour event coverage create a difficult environment for some of these folks. Not to sound conceited, but if I go into a large golf retailer, I would imagine that I have more knowledge than a majority of the people that work in the store (including the "better people" that I mentioned). It would be very easy for me to come in and bash them for knowing nothing, but I take it for what it is, a bunch of people just trying to make some money while being around a game that they may enjoy. In addition, there is a ton of mis-information out there as well that many people will have in their minds when coming into a store, if one of these associates doesn't agree with them (even if the associate is correct), the customer assumes that the employee is wrong.

Now I am not defending the associate who refused to order the putter for you, I am not sure if they are able to or not, but many of these retailers are forced to leave areas of the store as "self service" due to payroll budgets and the like, it is easy to see why a putter may be considered an area to leave as self service since many people will just start putting with one and then say to a person that they will take "this one" it is less labor intensive to have multiple models out. It also looks far more impressive if they have a full rack of putters as opposed to having big holes in the display.

I agree with tmag (and we all know Youngun5 knows his stuff) that you shouldn't expect alot of help when you go in these places (you're lucky if you find someone like gun). :)

My beef was the idiots that buy this stuff. The big guys at the main office who haven't a clue what is good or not. Then they buy so much of it they'll never hope to sell it. But they can do that with the balls so they have to have a big sale in the fall and winter!! :laugh:

Maybe some Dicks work differently??? The one at the East Towne mall has workers who are older & give people funny looks that I just don't care for. It's almost as if they feel they are above you or something. Anyhoo, if you grab any item over about $25 or so one of these salesclowns will come running over & acts as if they helped you pick out that particular item. They then proceed to put a tiny sticker with their employee number near the barcode, what else could that be for other than keeping track of whom sells what or commission based pay?

Something about the place just gives me the willys, it's like being at a used car lot. But I am comfortable at Golf Galaxy or Nevada Bobs, salesmen will come up & I always tell them no thanks just looking, I then read their nametag & tell them that if I need any help I will ask for...& then say their name. I get left alone the rest of the time I am in the store.

The young guys working at the Golf Galaxies in Milwaukee won't help you at all unless you ask and then they act like they're being overworked. They just want you to find something and check it out.

The absolute best place I've been is B&G Sports in Milwaukee. They have really knowledgeable people that offer help and if you say you're just looking don't bug you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520