• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Racing at Daytona

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Reaction score
As as follow up to my Racing at Rd Atlanta thread, I am going to bore you once again. :) In 2 weeks, the Team MOCIAP #32 Supra should be racing 14 hours at Daytona, on the roval. 2.5 miles of high banked oval, combined with another 1 mile of tight flat turns on the in-field road course, with 100+ crap can cars and idiotic drivers. What can possibly go wrong?

Since our engine problems at Rd. Atlanta, I fixed the problem (dead fuel injector) and did a few upgrades. We now have a limited slip differential that actually limits the slip, a 2 way radio so the drivers can complain, and front brake cooling ducts that may allow our front brakes to last the whole race.

I just got back from a 50 mile road trip to test the car and bury one of my old dogs that I had to put to sleep last night. I buried her in my pet cemetery out in the country. RIP Jumbo, you were a good dog your entire life.

Then I came home and picked 50 seed ticks off of me. :mad: When I was a kid, I never got ticks in those woods. Since the Forest Service outlawed burning, the ticks in the country have gotten totally out of control. Smokey, sorry bud, but we need some damn forest fires!!!

Anyway, the car ran well in the road test. Now I just need to pack up the tools and spares. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I will try to get some video. It gets unbelievably hectic during pit stops, so sometimes video gets missed. Just got word that they have modified our course layout due to DIS doing SaferBarrier work, so we will lose NASCAR T1 and T2. :(

I will try to get some video. It gets unbelievably hectic during pit stops, so sometimes video gets missed. Just got word that they have modified our course layout due to DIS doing SaferBarrier work, so we will lose NASCAR T1 and T2. :(
Bummer.

I made it back from Daytona, mostly in 1 piece. This was our 3rd race, and the 1st that we DNF. :devil:

Our transponder failed before start; had to rent one and zip-tie it in place; lost 3 laps.

Heat was our enemy. Oil temp was over 260°F most of the day, except when it was raining. After about 4 hours, the clutch failed. Car stalled coming into pits and would not restart due to clutch interlock. With no P/S, I broke the weld on the steering wheel quick release. Once we got the car pushed to the garage, with a Vicegrip on the steering column, I found a bolt on the clutch pedal assembly had backed out and fallen into the floorboard, so I fixed that, then had to borrow a welder and fix the steering wheel. 30 laps lost.

Nobody wanted to drive the car with a suspect steering wheel, so I got in and did 30 minutes before the monsoon flooded the track. Nothing like going through the high bank at 125 mph at not being able to see anything due to the rooster-tails. Flat areas got flooded, cars were wrecking everywhere, so they red flagged it for a while.

The other drivers got their nuts back, and one hopped in when the red changed to yellow, then green. We did a few more hours (car ran good and was competitive when it wasn't broke), then the brakes went away. We took it to garage to change the front pads, and found that another bolt had fallen out, this time one holding on the front right brake caliper. :confused: Another 20 laps lost.

We fixed all that, then saw an oil leak and heard a strange noise coming from somewhere underneath. Jacked it up and looked/listened but couldn't find it, so we figured all our luck was used up, so we threw in the towel. Another 30 laps lost.

Due to our transponder difficulties , we're not sure exactly where we finished, but we think it was something like 64th of 108.

Frick. :poop:

You don't safety tie bolts? Clutch pedal assembly probably not...but motorcycle racing we always drilled asd safety wired the caliper bolts. Of course...it's a little more important on a bike vs car...

There is no way to safety tie these particular bolts. They hold the floating pin and just act as guide bolts. But they will have super Locktite on them next time, as will the clutch pedal bolt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520